• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How I broke the 500 foot barrier

You acted like this towards the one and only Paul McBeth that time over forehands, talking petulantly and what have you, so really I'm flattered!

You saw the posts that make it clear I'm pretty new at this, that my form is in flux, that I'm actively seeking to improve? The video I posted wasn't an exhibition in form, it was evidence that I did what I set out to do...break the 500 foot barrier on level ground. Miracle angles notwithstanding, that ship(disc) has sailed.
Not sure what you are talking about, sorry I tried to help you throw better.

You acted like this towards the one and only Paul McBeth that time over forehands, talking petulantly and what have you, so really I'm flattered!

You saw the posts that make it clear I'm pretty new at this, that my form is in flux, that I'm actively seeking to improve? The video I posted wasn't an exhibition in form, it was evidence that I did what I set out to do...break the 500 foot barrier on level ground. Miracle angles notwithstanding, that ship(disc) has sailed.

Easy jq, sw is just trying to help you improve. Actually we are lucky he does this for free, he could easily charge for his analysis and advice. I was going to post this morning but had to run, congrats on your distance throw anyway.

Ignore the h8ers and trolls. This is good advice you have posted, regardless of the distance attained by doing so.

No, it may not be new info, but so what. For someone like me who has to re-jigger their form every spring ( after basically doing nothing over the NW winters) it is just what I need.

When I posted a video of me throwing 500 feet everyone was hating because that is just how the internet works so ignore them. But definitely listen to sidewinder and don't be an ass to him because his advice and HUB's advice is what will help you get good form and throw way farther.

When I posted a video of me throwing 500 feet everyone was hating because that is just how the internet works so ignore them. But definitely listen to sidewinder and don't be an ass to him because his advice and HUB's advice is what will help you get good form and throw way farther.

The first utterance from SW to me ever, in any capacity was his snide, "Congrats on the miracle angle." Then after he pisses on my shoes he proceeds to give advice! Yes, the guy has a firm grasp of how to throw a golf disc... he's also a di*k.

The first utterance from SW to me ever, in any capacity was his snide, "Congrats on the miracle angle." Then after he pisses on my shoes he proceeds to give advice! Yes, the guy has a firm grasp of how to throw a golf disc... he's also a di*k.
I think you are taking this too personally.

He is just very matter of fact with it and doesn't sugarcoat stuff, not really a jerk. Not being perfectly politically correct sometimes is the best way to know how to get better. Don't take any of it personally and don't worry about any negativity. You are already doing pretty good with throwing just make sure to be receptive with advice :)

Last edited:

Well he was right considering that you couldn't reproduce the 500' throw.

Gotta have thick skin around here, best not to take things too personally, I'm betting sw is actually a super nice guy in person. For his advice, I'd put up with some wet shoes any time!

I try to be overly sensitive to the fact that we're using a medium to communicate that is very poor at picking up normal conversational cues. I have deleted COUNTLESS fired up responses to people - that I decided to take the high road on.

It's just too easy to read into dickish-ness that was not intended or meant somewhat tongue-in-cheek... or maybe they are bit drunk... or a million other cases.

SW22 is blunt in the web forums. Jump over into Form Analysis and look at the VAST majority of feedback that people get: it's from SW22. I can't do it anymore. It takes patience to break it down, time, energy - and here's the kicker: you can spend hours helping folks, talking to them on the phone, in person, emails, video conferences from the field and you're only doing it because you were there once and wished that you had some help.

I focus mostly on a few articles every so often - a youtube video every so often - and people paying for lessons. I like talking form, but the never ending sea of "request my form / stuck at X distance" - is brutal.

And since I'm blabbing - I could post about 500 personal emails that I've gotten asking for video reviews, to which I reviewed them and never heard back.

Just trying to give you some context to the situation.

Now here's a video from today:

So I should give advice then piss on your shoes? Ask Simon Lizotte how often he hits his miracle angle.

a2aaa39c0dc1711e843c145a8c127c21.jpg

So I should give advice then piss on your shoes?

Stokely did a video that is perhaps enlightening. It was meant to be a framework on how to criticize a TD but it can work with other types of criticism as well. I can't say I always practice what I'll preach but it's worth noting : Thank, Compliment, Criticize, Thank, in that order. I totally agree w/ HUB's assessment that many important cues, tone especially, don't exactly get reproduced in high fidelity with written communication.

P.S. I never got around to thanking you for your voluminous videos, they have helped accelerate my progress for sure.

Yep....that's a fantastic anny flex distance flight and I 100% believe that disc flew 500ft. Nice job! And huge props for sticking with it and putting up a video. But........I have to admit....that form doesn't look like it would throw a disc 500ft, so it just goes to show you what's possible when the hit/snap is working properly and propels the disc. I can't help think you're going to gain even more distance when your form improves more! Again...congrats and way to go!! :) :) :) :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks Bro-cephus! Totally agree I have a few feet to gain with better form...
It is weird I get that distance because even though I touch the heel down on the front leg plant for a micro-second I instantly raise back onto the toe, definitely not standard :D

Plus I saw that my knees are bent and I'm over the disc until I pop it out in front, at which point I seem to stand up again :\ never noticed that. Gonna work on staying over it on the pop out soon.

Thanks for the encouragement :thmbup:

Yeah that was a crush. I also think you will gain distance (eventually...form changes always are frustrating) when some things are cleaned up a little bit, which means 500+ more consistently even.

Try throwing some hyzer flip shots, just 350' range with a much smaller X-step and staying on your left foot instep and toes...don't let that heel touch down and don't point the foot backwards as much. The smaller X-step will let you not lunge forward as far into the plant and go through the plant foot. You're driving through/up through the brace...which I guess is good with that momentum? I really don't know, I've never been able to effectively take that much momentum into my throw without it going bonkers. I just see the pro's like Wiggins blast upwards through the plant too when they take in a ton of speed.

Basically I'd like to just see what happens if you do some mellow 70% power hyzer flips in balance for a bit, then bring that momentum back afterwards.

How high do you think you threw that disc?

. I also think you will gain distance (eventually...form changes always are frustrating)

Truth. I like your suggestions, especially the one about foot placement, never noticed that :eek:

Before I started this thread I had a more normal max distance throw ( I think! I never recorded it) where I had a slow reach back, smaller X Step, w/ can crush type of throw. The best I did with that was 470, however that throw in general is more accurate for me as the brace is better.

Maybe I could post throwing some mids and we can look at the differences. Now that I type that it seems essential :)

How high do you think you threw that disc?

The crossbar on the goal post is 10 feet so at least 40ish?

Thanks for the post :)