• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How I Would Change the PDGA

Thank you for your response. I was referring to the period before the election when it sounds like you had already made up your mind. Motivations can be complex and hard for those of us on the outside to understand. It's easy to talk a good game and only time will tell if those words translate into action. I am just puzzled as to how you thought your strategy of hoping to lose instead of being honest about your intentions was the correct way to handle this.

Thank you for your response. I was referring to the period before the election when it sounds like you had already made up your mind. Motivations can be complex and hard for those of us on the outside to understand. It's easy to talk a good game and only time will tell if those words translate into action. I am just puzzled as to how you thought your strategy of hoping to lose instead of being honest about your intentions was the correct way to handle this.

I understand you now. I was optimistic in April, and even through June, confident that I could accomplish something (COI reform for sure!) and wanting to win. After the July teleconference debacle I realized that I'd miscalculated badly and had to get out. But by then the voting had already started. It would have been an even worse mess if I had resigned while the votes were actually coming in. So best to sit tight and hope to lose. Then there would have been no need to resign, and no mess at all.

The consensus here is shared by at least one Board member, who said, "I neither understand Peter's reasoning nor respect it. I believe any credibility he has established and his effectiveness to make change (post Board) will be greatly diminished. Congratulations Peter on becoming the first PDGA Board director to quit twice. You've set the bar for the Hall of Shame in the service sector . . . ."

I made my decision shortly after the second Conflict of Interest debacle in July and could have resigned then. Why didn't I? Because I expected (and hoped) to lose the election, and could thus have avoided the resignation flap altogether. It was worth the gamble. The fallout would have been just as bad if I had resigned in mid-July because you can't reboot an election after people have started voting.

Either way we would have been faced with the ambiguity between appointing Shawn Sinclair or Dave West. I recommended Shawn because he finished third, and I believed that the Board only wanted to consider my position at this time. There are other unfilled positions, and the Board could also appoint Dave in the future. I hope they do.

I don't have any problem with appointments of people who do well in elections, as Shawn and Dave did. My problem is with appointments of nonelected positions. I opposed the reappointment of Bob Decker before the election for that reason. Do you realize that if I had not resigned the Board would have precisely recreated itself by reappointment (Decker) and election (McCoy and myself)? I feel that the Board needs new blood. To put it another way, if only one of us could serve, better Shawn than I. That was in fact a minor factor in my decision.

I run construction work. One of the first things i try to impress upon the young guys when they start is that mistakes only get worse the longer you let them drag out before addressing them.

To address the second paragraph of your post, your hope that you would lose the election anyway is irrelevant. Your presence in the election wasted people's votes and took votes away from other candidates regardless of the outcome. As far as the board recreating itself by election and appointment, you don't get to be the one to decide what's best once your name goes on the ballot. That's the point of a vote.

By not addressing mistakes when they were made you have arrived at the worst possible outcome. Having to recast ballots in a second election would have been a minor annoyance compared to this, and to say that the fallout is the same now as it would have been had you withdrawn is simply incorrect.

What motive could possibly explain my doing that deliberately?

How about arrogance, the selfish desire to either thumb your nose at the other members of the Board by getting re-elected and then trashing them on your way out the door or walk away with your ego and self-esteem intact if you weren't re-elected, and sparing yourself the embarrassment of asking people not to vote for you after you ran such a high profile campaign for re-election, for starters?

So best to sit tight and hope to lose. Then there would have been no need to resign, and no mess at all.

Best for who? For you, obviously; but just as obviously, not for the Board or the PDGA.

Remaining on the Board would only handicap me, because I would not be able to speak as candidly to you as I would like, and I would not be able to explore opportunities for you outside the PDGA.

As a now-private individual, why should anyone bother listening to, much less believe, anything you have to say, especially in light of your clear lack of candor once you decided you didn't want to be re-elected and would refuse to serve if you were? And what makes you think you have a mandate to explore opportunities "for us"?

Wait, you are quitting again? Wow, who would have thought....
Thanks for taking away all of the votes that could have gone to people who would have taken the job with pride. Don't try to justify what you are doing, please, just go away.

Well, at the end-of-the-year DGCR Awards, this thread should be nominated in the Most Ironic Title category.

Takes balls to be a quitter. I salute you, good sir. I wouldn't waste my time sitting on the pDGA's board either.

To whom exactly are you referring to as "little people"?

I almost forgot your question in the blizzard. Sorry. See post #1 in this thread.

I use the term mostly to describe the people who pay the bills for the elite. They include almost all Amateurs, plus almost almost all members who play in B and C-Tier events, plus all outsiders who pay nonmember fees in tournaments. Depending on just where you draw the line for the elites, the little people make up 88 to 99.5% of the membership.

I also include other members who are not appropriately rewarded by the PDGA, like most TD's and State Coordinators.

So all you guys would be ok with him staying on the pdga, even if he doesnt accomplish anything?

stop acting like a bunch of women on their period!

just proves the pdga is a joke.

By any chance is your pDGA # 888?

:hfive:

i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

Latest posts