• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long do tournaments usually take?

JBrew04

I'm considering signing up for my first disc golf tournament (I'll be starting off in the Novice division and see how it goes), but I'd like to get an idea of how long the day will be. Can I get some rough estimates? There aren't any tournaments close to home for me, so I need to be able to plan for a mini-road trip, but I'd like to know if they're typically all-day events... maybe even two day events. Any ideas will be helpful. Thanks.

It would be good to plan for an all-day event. A rough estimate is 2-2.5 hours per round (depending on the size of the course and the number of players per card) * 2 rounds plus getting to the course with enough time to sign in, practice, and attend the players meeting, plus an hour for lunch, plus another 30-40 minutes afterwards for final scores and awards.

In most of the tourneys I have played I expect to tee off around 930am and end the first round about 1230pm. Expect an hour for lunch then next tee about 2pm after getting everyone out to new holes. I expect to be done with the second round around 5pm and awards, ring of fire, ctp etc may take you to 630-7pm. This may be a little longer than some, but I wouldn't try to plan something big that evening cause if you're anything like me I am dead after a day long tourney. If its a two-day tourney... go home and get some sleep so you can kill it the 2nd day.

Figure all-day, or almost-all-day, depending on the number of players and length/difficulty of the course.

In addition to the play and lunch, you've got registration, players meeting, and dispersal to the holes in the morning. At the end of the last round, you've got a 30-60 minutes while scores are tabulated, then an awards ceremony. And the rounds themselves take much longer than a normal, casual round.

Whether 1-day or 2-day depends on the event. Around here, there are plenty of both. It'll be indicated on the flyer and/or tournament schedule.

get plenty of rest the day before, bring plenty of water and light food to snack on,im 47 and after 2 rounds im tired , and yes it will depent on how many show up on that day.

I played in my first tourney two weeks ago. It was a blast. First round started at 5 ended round 8 then we started a glo round at 9 pm finished at midnight or so. So about 6-7 hours like others r saying seems average. Bring plenty of water, gatorade and trail mix/energy bars and youll be good to go.

Typical C-tiers usually tee off by 10am with the second round starting around 2pm. If you're not cashing, you can sometimes bail between 4:30-5, but if you're cashing, leaving by 6 is not unusual.

In most of the tourneys I have played I expect to tee off around 930am and end the first round about 1230pm. Expect an hour for lunch then next tee about 2pm after getting everyone out to new holes. I expect to be done with the second round around 5pm and awards, ring of fire, ctp etc may take you to 630-7pm. This may be a little longer than some, but I wouldn't try to plan something big that evening cause if you're anything like me I am dead after a day long tourney. If its a two-day tourney... go home and get some sleep so you can kill it the 2nd day.

this is pretty spot on for a one day tourney. I don't think I've ever left a 2 round tourney before 6pm. a one round Tourney I'd say you'll leave around 2pm.

Generally speaking how long a round will take will depend on the number of holes and how packed each hole is. Good TD's know if the event isn't anything near full to spread as many threesomes as possible to help accelerate play.

I played in twin B-tiers this past weekend. On Saturday, was at had potential capacity for 105 players (21 holes x 5 players) and decided to go with a 9:00 1st round tee off. We had 88 players, so they decided to drop one of the temporary holes and spread the players where they could have as many foursomes as they could. We were doing awards by 5:00.

On Sunday we had two courses to spread the players over, and had 95 players. Again, we went with a 9:00 start so traveling players could get on the road a little earlier. Lots of threesomes. Many cards were done by 4:00.

So there are a lot of factors that will affect time of completion, but rule of thumb is yes, plan on it taking all day. You will want to get there early so you have time to sign in, get warmed up, etc.

A course with any length and/or difficulty will usually take 2 to 3 hours depending if there are any of "those" holes. If your playing somewhere with one of "those" holes it can take upward of 4 hours and the backup can make you wait up to an hour between shots.

All day is the short answer for a 2 round tourney. Another thing to consider for lunch is that it's usually an hour long, but that doesn't start when you get in; it usually starts when the last card gets in. Regardless of how fast your card plays, you might have to wait for some cards (pros, masters, juniors, women, etc) to get in, which can give you considerably longer than an hour for lunch

All day is the short answer for a 2 round tourney. Another thing to consider for lunch is that it's usually an hour long, but that doesn't start when you get in; it usually starts when the last card gets in. Regardless of how fast your card plays, you might have to wait for some cards (pros, masters, juniors, women, etc) to get in, which can give you considerably longer than an hour for lunch

I played a tournament in June and my card finished first at like 12:30 pm. The last card didn't come in until 1:30pm, so my card ended up getting a 2 hour break for lunch/randomness.

Many people are turned off by how long a tournament takes. While you can shoot a round in an hour with a buddy, that round will now take 2.5 hours, long wait in between, 2.5 round, waiting to throw on holes, waiting, waiting, etc.

The pace of play is very different and something people have to adjust to, especially your first few tournies.

GL!