• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long do you search for your discs?

brokenfixed

Par Member
Been playing for about 2 months now, 2-3 times a weekend, at a handful of local courses and Ive found more drivers than I could ever want. I make it a point to find my disc no matter how long it takes, which leaves me searching for a long time and usually find someone elses disc while looking for mine. The longest Ive spent searching for my disc would probably be an hour.

How long are you "supposed" to look? Cause in some cases it seems like these guys give a quick glance and move right along...ahha Lately Ive been taking home a disc a day. I make it a point to call if they have a number printed on it, but the numbers dont ever work.

My best day was at White clay in Delaware. I found 6 discs in about 2 hours just before I got rained out at around the 12th hole. I paid $6 to play so I got my moneys worth I guess. But that course is nothing but thorn bushes that I wrestled with the entire day just before getting drenched, so I say I earned those discs. I still made the calls before I left with them though.

So far Ive bought 4 discs, and ive found 9.

(If anyone reading this lost a disc a Whiteclay let me know what you lost and the color and I'll mail it back to you)

depending on the disc, i may look up to a half hour. if i have no idea where it went, i normally do a quick search and move on but if im playing alone, ive searched for my avenger ss for about 45-50min. i play alot at stoney creek in michigan and alot of the players up there are either zoned out stoners or guys with way to much money. i normally find at least 1 disc every other time i go. Plus every once in a while you'll see guys take a dip in the swamp on hole 14. thats were the real money is. i spent 3 hours in it about 3 months ago just after a week of beautiful weather and pulled out around 30 disc ranging anywhere from cyclones that looked like the dog had gotten ahold of them to brand new flx and esp drivers that were prob bought that day. i called numbers on a few but ended up still with prob 25 discs.

i don't know if people are getting lazier or im getting luckier but either way i like it!

The longest I've looked is about 25 minutes. Generally, if it's one of my best discs I'll look longer, if not, no big deal, I give it about 15. Right now I've lost quite a few on my last journeys so I'm down to about 5 or 6, and 2 of those are putters, so I'm not throwing as much right now.

So far its happened twice where im looking for my disc and i pick it up and look down and its the same color but its someone elses and mines like 3 feet away...haha..I think it'll be a while before I find the exact same disc I threw only someone elses.

Last edited:
How long are you "supposed" to look?

In a tournament: three mintues.

PDGA said:
[FONT=verdana,arial]803.11[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]Lost Disc

[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]A. A disc shall be declared lost if the player cannot locate it within three minutes after arriving at the spot where it was last seen by the group or an official. Two players or an official must note when the timing of three minutes begins. All players of the group must, upon request, assist in searching for the disc for the full three minutes before the disc is declared lost. The disc is considered lost immediately upon the expiration of the three minute time limit.

B.
A player whose disc is declared lost shall receive one penalty throw. If the throw was made from the tee, the player will re-tee for the next shot. If not made from the tee, the group will determine the approximate lie from which the throw was made, and the player will throw again from that lie. In all cases the original throw plus one penalty throw shall be counted in the player's score
[/FONT]
http://pdga.com/rules/index.php

In casual play: as long as you want.

ERic

we'll look as long as possible, everyone i play with is a casual player. i personally have only lost one disc, and that was to a lake. that was not the first time i shot into the water, but was certainly the deepest.

we once spent at least 45 minutes trying to de-lodge a disc that was stuck at least 30 feet up in a tree. the thick brush can be difficult, i too have found many discs that weren't mine, but i always turn them into the park office (if there's a phone number).

i think that PDGA rules state that a players name and number must be on a disc in order to use it in league play, but i could be wrong.

I look as long as it takes to find her.

I put my number on all my disc. Thank you for actually calling. Lost one and still haven't received a call yet. It was in the river so it could of sunk. I actually should of gone for it, now that I think about it. She was only 10' away.

I have "lost" one of my discs twice. Both times it was at the Gordy Rd course in Florida off of the #1 blue tee with a horrible unintended hyzer. The first time I spent about 45 minutes looking for my disc with the help of my 8 year old son who was playing for the first time - great example huh? We trekked through very tall grass in about 4-12 inches of standing water and water snakes. We didn't find it at first and then just played out the rest of the course.

When we were done with the course, I thought to myself "throw another one from the tee the same way and see where that goes". Using my son as a spotter about half way down the fairway I threw another and he ended up finding both of them before I even got done walking down to him. I guess for me, looking for my discs will always take as long as it takes.

Even though I am a newbie to the sport, I sank a few extra dollars into my first starter set and then purchased a few more that day as well. I am one of those people who likes to buy the best as an investment in the future of my endeavors. Sometimes that bites me in the butt if i don't stay with that sport for very long, but i can easily say that disc golf won't be one of those sports for me.

I'll look as long as possible. Tonight a friend lost one of my discs and we looked for a while and finished out the round. I dropped him off at his house and went back to search but ran out of light after 20min of more searching.

I work in a park and often practice during my lunch hour. One day I spent my entire hour trying to get a disc out of a tree. I threw just about anything I could find at it and after several direct hits with a softball, a bottle of water, and even a large bag of marbles, the thing was still wedged in tight about 15-20' up. I'm not one to give up though so I went to my office and grabbed a 10' shephard's crook (the kind you see hanging on the wall at a pool to fish out would be drowning victims), and strolled back threw the park to my hung up disc. I was still several feet short, but at this point I was not giving up. I went back to the office and duct taped a crocquet mallet to the end of the shephard's crook, and just to be safe, a whiffle ball bat to the end of the mallet. I proceeded back to the evil tree and easily lifted the disc out.

I am fairly certain that I am the only person in the history of civilization to put these items together to extract a flying disc from a pine tree.

Losing a disc creates a feeling that is an undescribable, which im sure everyone has experienced. Its terrible. Ill look for up to an hour but then move on. (If it is in the water and I cant see it I wouldnt take that long.)

I too have found many discs searching, what a great feeling.

i think that PDGA rules state that a players name and number must be on a disc in order to use it in league play, but i could be wrong.

The only stipulation is that discs must be "uniquely marked":

PDGA said:
[FONT=verdana,arial]802.01[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]Discs Used in Play[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]

F.
All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked in ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. After the warning has been given, each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.
[/FONT]
http://www.pdga.com/rules/index.php

I am a believer in searching for a short while and then go back to that hole after the round to find it. Then you can take as long as you want and don't have to make the people you are playing with, wait forever.

cdavid74, I would have bet you are the only one! :D

I never leave a man behind

Actually, I am cheap so if I am by myself I will look until I can find it. Otherwise look for a while, take the penalty and look later. I found my brother in-law's lost disc the following day, I just couldn't leave it be.

I never give up on a disc, since i quit smoking weed. My teebird has spent two nights at Pride park before i went back for it. Then the same disc i left in the middle of the fairway at Banklick woods and the next day it was there, it had been a full twenty four. With the amount that course is played i couldnt believe it lasted all day. I find so many at idle wild i give them to newbies, my brother threw four in a row in the lake at AJ Jolly he was going in i told him not to worry i found them all so no loss.

Thats funny I think being stoned helps me to search non-stop for my disc. Im a pretty impaitent person normally...haha It does suck when you cant remember where you looked and where you didnt though...haha