• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] How Long Do Your Putters Last?

I've got 7 Vibram VP's and I expect them to be passed down from generation to....

...well, to outlast me, anyway. :p

I feel like every two years or so I go to my collection of putters and I'm tempted to break out a new pair. The reasons why can differ, maybe the old ones got understable, maybe I'm just bored.

So I am curious how long is the life cycle of your main putters? Does this differ based on stiffness or other factors? How long have you had the main putter that's in your bag right now?

Life cycle is from new until I lose them, give them away or they break. I choose a putter for the bag from my collection based grip/feel depending on the season ... cold/dry weather gets a different putter plastic than hot/humid. The putting putter that I'm carrying now is ~9 months old; it has been beaten in from time on the practice basket. I have putters that are new to nearly 10 years old. Any of them could make the bag. I putt with Wizards so the plastic options and variability are wide.

For throwing putters (Wizards also); a full compliment would be 1) new with fade; and 2) broken in to neutral.

picture.php

Behold, the 86 softie junky. You are a dying breed, keep the flame alive! :thmbup:

I only putt with my putters (prodigy PA-2) Im on my third year with them, one for step putts (outside the circle putting) and one for inside the circle. I only practice with these two and they have remained pretty stable so i trust them in the wind. My previous putters were Innova Rhinos. FWIW I switched putters when i switched to spin putting.

Life cycle is from new until I lose them, give them away or they break. I choose a putter for the bag from my collection based grip/feel depending on the season ... cold/dry weather gets a different putter plastic than hot/humid. The putting putter that I'm carrying now is ~9 months old; it has been beaten in from time on the practice basket. I have putters that are new to nearly 10 years old. Any of them could make the bag. I putt with Wizards so the plastic options and variability are wide.

For throwing putters (Wizards also); a full compliment would be 1) new with fade; and 2) broken in to neutral.

This is very similar to my putters life cycle. I've been sticking to Pure White Wizards for a few years now, before that it was G9i in the summer and Soft in the Winter. Wizards are the best.

About 6 months. Current cycle:

1. Winter (slightly squishy) putter gets taken out when temps warm up, and goes into practice basket stack. Replaced by a fresh firm putter for summer.
2. Summer (firm) putter gets taken out when temps drop, and goes into practice basket stack. Replaced by a fresh slightly squishy putter for winter.
3. Wash, rinse, repeat.

But what about that stack of practice basket putters? Well, I also carry a beat in version of my fresh putting putter, and the beat in one gets used for hyzerflip drives, touch approach shots, and long putts. Whichever practice putter, of the seasonally appropriate firmness, is most understable at the moment gets a chance in the bag when I swap out my primary putting putter.

So I essentially have a cycle of putting putter -> practice putter stack -> utility US putter going in two different plastics. Also, I have a tendency to overplan and overthink things.

I putt with Swan2s typically I try to buy two that are identical and use them for 6months to a year and put them in the practice stack when either I don't love the feel anymore(nicked, warped etc) or I don't love the mojo. Bad rollaways and spit outs during tournaments are typically a culprit there.

Current putters, a pair of Prime Deputies, went in my bag in the Spring of 2019. They only went into my bag because I like putting with twins, and one of the previous pair got lost in a snowy round up at Deerfield in Mt Pleasant Michigan. They'll be in my bag until one of them gets lost. I only very rarely use them on approaches, they get most of their wear and tear from the chains.

In general I putt with flippy putters - so as they get more and more seasoned they really don't change in terms of low-speed flight characteristics. They're already straight finishers at low speeds. For longer shots I switch up to a Keystone in reasonable shape - which I do replace when it gets a bit too seasoned. So the high speed flight characteristics of my putting-putters really don't matter too much to me.

I use a KC Pro Aviar and once it gets a bit too beat I swap it out for a fresh one which is about once a season. The slight difference in stability is noticeable to me and my putt.

After finally getting fed up with my putters blowing around in the Texas wind, I bought 6 Spike putters about 2 years ago and I'm rotating them to keep them all pretty close to the same. The low profile design helps a lot. I used to putt with Ridges that are probably still like new in someone else's bag. My Ion / Anode experiment was a bust.

My Innova XD is at least 20 years old. There is no longer any ink on it, so it's a good thing I know what it is. I went away from it for a while, but I went back because, but like an old pair of faded jeans, it felt comfortable.

Driving putters and yard putters become putting putters, and there is no such thing as a too-beat-up putting putter. Dunno how long my current putting putter has been in the bag but the stamp is completely worn off.

For OS putters, I took a Medium Harp out of the bag after about 3 years because it had gotten a little too straight. But it is still in the trunk, and I still use it from time to time.

So putters last forever or until lost, whichever comes first. :D

I have 1st hand knowledge that a top rated female player (Kelsey Brakel, shown in this video), has been using the same pink Swirl APX for at least a decade. That disc is beat up, and the bottom edge is worn to hell.

She's 947 rated, but I guess she prefers to plays Am and/or forego cash payout when she plays open.

... or I don't love the mojo.

I hear you. I can get comfortable with a new or beat-to-h*ll Wizard; just give me a little time to warm up with it. But, when the mojo is lost, the mojo is lost and that putter comes out of the game and is sent back to the bench.

I hear you. I can get comfortable with a new or beat-to-h*ll Wizard; just give me a little time to warm up with it. But, when the mojo is lost, the mojo is lost and that putter comes out of the game and is sent back to the bench.

I have two blue a purple burst Swans, some of the prettiest discs I own.

I had a 25ft putt for Eagle in a tournament summer before last and I putt it on a great line and it cut through and then rolled further out then I was and ended up taking a par.

I ordered two new ones before I left the park.

They are still in the practice basket and I use them all the time, but they aren't getting near a course.

My Innova XD is at least 20 years old. There is no longer any ink on it, so it's a good thing I know what it is. I went away from it for a while, but I went back because, but like an old pair of faded jeans, it felt comfortable.

my first putter ever was a red XD and even though i use Wizards now, that XD is still in my bag. best short turnover disc there is!

I'm stuck right now between Mint Profits and Streamline Pilots.... love both..... Streamline's are mainly for throwing, but if I end up in a spot where I have to straddle and feel it will be a reach I go with the Pilot.

Both are great. All of mine are less than a year old.

I screw up with both all of the time. Profit is my main inside cirlce 1 putter though.... for now....ha.

Honestly, this group should last for at least three years.

Last edited:
I feel like McBeth said in one of his Youtube videos that he like to put x number practice putts on a putter before he bags it.

Latest posts