• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs REALLY?

Whatever works for you man, go for it.

As you apparently know, discs are playable when they are new. They are also playable when the newness has been beat out of them. When they are really beat, they are discs you know completely. The beauty of cycling discs in various stages of wear is precisely because it helps you really learn what your discs can do. DX plastic is a lot more durable than many of you seem to believe. When you start cycling the same mold through its various stages of wear, first you learn how the disc behaves when it's new. As it beats in, you know how the disc will behave because wearing in process is gradual. Once you've run a mold through a few complete cycles, this is a mold you can rely on to fly whatever line you need.

Some molds are better for this than others. Rocs are the classic example and I believe if you take the time to cycle a set of DX Rancho Rocs through their entire lifespan (and is it possible to have a Roc that's just too beat?), you'll never need another midrange. Cycling Eagles (X mold) is perhaps the most valuable learning experience in disc golf. Teebirds are great for this too - not because they are so versatile I don't think, but because a beat TeeBird is so damn long and reliable.

Just my opinion and YMMV. Just have fun with it, eh?
I'm just quoting this because someone with a lot more experience than me has just said something that I say all the time.

I keep around 22 in my bag. Thinking through a couple of local courses, in a given round I use 11 or 12 at most. The fewest I could get away with would probably be about 8 without losing some strokes.

i've been working on reducing molds lately. If i know the course well, i'll trim down to 12 or so. If I've not played the course before i'll fill the tourney bag.

I've been discovering the benefit of carrying 3 of the same mold each in different wear stages to choose between over, stable, and under. So now i'm trying to carry 3 teebirds (1 beat Champ, 1 new DX, 1 medium wear DX), 3 rocs, 3 wizards. These nine discs are my bread and butter. Then i'll add in other discs for specialty shots i.e. Leopard, Demon, Element, etc.

I carry about 20 discs, with about 8 molds. If I am playing a smaller course or a course I know very well I will sometimes carry less, but with a new course, or a course with a lot of water in play I carry all of them. I like to be prepared if I put one in the water or just out right lose one. That being said I have put two in a lake this week.

I've got 10 discs in my bag currently, with two that I could remove if needed. Right now I keep them in just to keep giving them a shot, although I'm pretty sure they'll eventually come out.

I've played a lot of 1 disc rounds when I started, not because I only had one disc, but because I wanted to learn each disc well. I learned the ins and outs of my putter, US mid, OS mid, S mid, OS driver, and S driver this way. I'm currently working on learning my US driver while playing with the rest of my bag, but I should probably go out there and play a single disc round with it so I know exactly what it is capable of in my hands.

There is an old school guy (he's in his 50's) in this area who plays a couple times a year which happen to be tournaments, he uses two discs and most of the time shoots somewhere in the neighborhood of 980-1000 rated rounds. I play 5 times a week, carry 18 discs and shoot 900 rated rounds.

I only carry about 13 and some of those are for very specific shots while I learn a forehand etc.

for example I have a overhead only disc, I have my main driver and then that driver in a heavier plastic for windy situations. I have a just roller disc because I can't roll other discs and that disc sucks for everything else.

I carry 3 mids and 2 putters.

\/\/

I believe if you take the time to cycle a set of DX Rancho Rocs through their entire lifespan (and is it possible to have a Roc that's just too beat?), you'll never need another midrange.

What weight/plastic/stage of wear would you recommend for the lines I usually use my Drone for?

I threw only a Cheetah and Panther for a numbers of years, by choice.

Only over the last 5 or so years have I carried more than 12.

Nowadays I carry about 18 and am realizing how few discs I need to fly a variety of courses:
3 or 4 drivers, 3 mids, 2 putters. I've thought about switching bags and flying fewer but I travel for work and when playing a new course, I like to have'em all, just in case.

have never brought more than 5 discs to a course, usually play with 3 or 4. Last year, i only played with two and i had very good scores at the local league. Let me tell you, knowing two discs that well really makes you throw them well. In my case, it was a max weight champ boss and a beat almost to flippy aviar.

What weight/plastic/stage of wear would you recommend for the lines I usually use my Drone for?

I don't know what lines you usually use your Drone for, but I'll guess you want it to head left hard. For that I'd use a fresh max weight KC, thrown with a lot of hyzer with plenty of air under it. If I'm forced into a pretty low line, I'm likely to power down a light Champ TeeBird and play for a skip.

I've got 10 discs in my bag currently, with two that I could remove if needed. Right now I keep them in just to keep giving them a shot, although I'm pretty sure they'll eventually come out.

I've played a lot of 1 disc rounds when I started, not because I only had one disc, but because I wanted to learn each disc well. I learned the ins and outs of my putter, US mid, OS mid, S mid, OS driver, and S driver this way. I'm currently working on learning my US driver while playing with the rest of my bag, but I should probably go out there and play a single disc round with it so I know exactly what it is capable of in my hands.

Actually not that anyone cares but I just realized I only carry 9 different discs, and a back up of my main driver as my 10th disc. So really, I could cut my bag down to 7 discs and feel like I've got everything I need (and probably more.)

The course, your style, and your ability should dictate the # of discs one carries. That being said, the fewer the molds/discs you can get by with the better b/c your bag will weigh less and you'll be intimately familiar with your gear. My 2 pesos.

I know for a fact Dave Feldberg wishes he could play with fewer discs, but he doesnt control his discs enough to perform different flights, that is why his bag is so packed, he needs a disc for almost every shot.

This is at best a misconception, at worst absolutely false. I know Dave, and he could still beat just about anyone with 5 discs. In fact, he uses the same 5 molds 80% of the time. He carries a lot of extras--discs he practices with, backups for his main players, discs he's getting broken in, and finally a bunch of specialty discs that he pulls out for very specific, and sometimes superstitious circumstances (wind conditions, trick shots, specific lines, feel lucky). To suggest that a World Champion can't control his discs enough to perform different flights is an error. You must also consider that he travels a lot, and many times he does not get to practice the course he is about to play on more than a couple times before competition. This also contributes to the number of discs he carries and is not the same as someone who plays 3 courses carrying 50 discs.

Could I play with one disc, or two, or three, yes.
Would my game be the same or better, I doubt it.

Discs all have a predesignated flight pattern. You can force a disc to do something it wasnt designed to do, but its difficult and not usually reliable.

We all agree that less stable flies better downwind, and more stable upwind, so why fight one of those conditions with the wrong disc.

My puny arm throws lighter discs farther than heavier ones, one disc isnt going to improve that.

Maybe if the courses I played were all open fields, I could do fine with only a couple of discs, but my local courses include dense brush, moderate terrain changes, water, wind, and narrow winding lanes.

These challenges will force any player to use all the tricks they know, and the more tricks you know, the better you can play.

So I need these discs :

Upwind forehand (heavy, stable) for fairways with more room on the right, with the best disc landing zone center to left in the fairway.
Upwind backhand (heavy,stable) for the opposite of above.
Downwind forehand (light, understable) for extra distance.
Downwind backhand same as above with opposite landing.
Uphill drives (light, overstable)
Downhill drives (heavy, understable)

I also carry a disc that works best for low anhyzer line drives,
a disc for spike hyzers, a disc thats outstanding and reliable for skip shots, and a disc for high short flex shots around tall trees and none of these do well as my regular meat and potato discs mentioned above.

Upshot midrange (overstable) for upwind and hyzer flights to the pin
Upshot midrange (understable) for downwind, downhill, anhyzer, and thumber approaches.

And two putters to cover most of the conditions posed above.

So 14 works better than three for me with the game I have now, and the courses I play.

I pretty much make myself choose. I disc down for tourney's and only carry a small shoulder bag instead of my large bag that carry for practice.

I carry only discs that I'm totally comfortable with and know the line they will throw before putting it in my tourney bag. With some course research I will figure out what it is I need and what discs are in jeopardy; requiring a back up.

To me, unless you have a caddy, it is important to preserve your back muscles and the power of your legs. Carrying that extra 10-15 lbs of plastic around on a course, up and down hills is not advisable during a four round event.

Latest posts