• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs REALLY?

I carry 13 disc. Some for windy days, one disc for dog legs to left, one disc for dog legs to right, and one for putts. In around of DG most of the time I use 7 to 8 disc per round.

I keep around 22 in my bag. Thinking through a couple of local courses, in a given round I use 11 or 12 at most. The fewest I could get away with would probably be about 8 without losing some strokes.

Matt you carry too many disc since all you throw is a Destroyer and a Buzz. ;)

I carry about 16. But, usually 12. The problem is that once I fill my bag (it holds 16), it seems to slowly disappate until I get to 12 then they stop growing legs.... must think I can throw more Mullys with the extras.

carrying 18, but use about 4-5 a round.

Still testing alot of things out. Found somewhat of a fairway driver game, but now cant toss any mid, so im carrying more of those now looking for something I like.

Its rough, but i really enjoy having all of them

This is at best a misconception, at worst absolutely false. I know Dave, and he could still beat just about anyone with 5 discs. In fact, he uses the same 5 molds 80% of the time. He carries a lot of extras--discs he practices with, backups for his main players, discs he's getting broken in, and finally a bunch of specialty discs that he pulls out for very specific, and sometimes superstitious circumstances (wind conditions, trick shots, specific lines, feel lucky). To suggest that a World Champion can't control his discs enough to perform different flights is an error. You must also consider that he travels a lot, and many times he does not get to practice the course he is about to play on more than a couple times before competition. This also contributes to the number of discs he carries and is not the same as someone who plays 3 courses carrying 50 discs.

watch the first minute of this video he even says that he carrys so many discs for slightly different shots.

watch the first minute of this video he even says that he carrys so many discs for slightly different shots.

He might carry them for different shots, but he doesn't need them for those different shots. He can perform all of those shots with only a few discs, but chooses different discs insetead. That's way different than needing a different disc for a different shot.

I have a "core" of discs that I carry no matter where I am (3 Rocs, *Firebird, 2 DX Wraiths, 11x KC Gazelle, FLX Avenger SS, putters). Beyond that, it all depends on the wind and the course (long, short, water - requiring backups, familiar or unfamiliar, etc.) I have many other discs which cycle in and out of my bag regularly that I also know very well. The idea is to build the bag to suit the course/conditions.

For practice rounds I will carry up to 20 - to get more familiar with some, break some in, try different lines on a really familiar course, and sometimes give a disc I didn't care for before a second chance. The bag evolves with my level of play - but the aforementioned discs never come out.

It's fun to have a lot of discs (I usually carry around 15), but when I play with only four (Wraith, Teebird, Pro Roc, Rhyno) I usually don't feel like I am missing the correct disc for any particular shot I need to make. But then again, my home courses are fairly short and straight, and don't require that many different shots. Also, a lot of my bag is made up of multiples of the same mold so I am only really dropping about 4 to 5 discs, most of which are for special situations anyway.

WOW

if you can do it with fewer discs, that is great. some of us struggle with it. I know for a fact Dave Feldberg wishes he could play with fewer discs, but he doesnt control his discs enough to perform different flights, that is why his bag is so packed, he needs a disc for almost every shot. Some people need a disc for every shot, some can do all the shots with only 4-5 discs.

Watch this video and then tell me that Dave doesn't control his discs enough. That statement is WAY beyond absurd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM8m7RBWgMQ&feature=related

Latest posts