• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] How many distance drivers do you bag?

I carry 9.

3x star wraith: brand new, seasoned stable, seasoned flippy/max d

dx wraith: unconfident water hole disc

Champ beast: first distance driver I ever bought. It's now a super flippy disc that will NEVER fade

Star vulcan: I almost never use this anymore. I use to try to force it on anny lines, but have quit trying to force it. Probably should unbag it.

Flx ss avenger: use to be my long super straight low celing driver. Now it's so flippy it doesn't get thrown. Like the vulcan, it probably should come out.

Star boss: I was throwing these for awhile, but have backed off to wraiths with more success. I just can't bring myself to take it out of the bag. Longis big hyzer I still bust it out (say around a large group of trees)

Blizzard champion boss: a boss i can acruelly control, but still never throw. Or when I do I regret it. Unless it's a thumber. I've found blizzard boss' make beautiful thumber lines.

I could easily drop down to 4 and be fine (star wraiths and beast).

Once in a while a Destroyer or two -- especially on certain courses where I know 12-15 extra feet will make some difference on a particular hole or three. But I really lean on speed 9s to play smart golf and score well -- a FB and three OLFs get it done for almost every longer teeshot or fairway drive. I step down to speed 6 from there.

I'm definitely usually in the area of 8. Here's how I organize it:

1. Max fade/overstability (0, 4+).
2. A workable overstable disc (-1, 3)
3. A straight disc with a little fade (0, 2)
4. A disc with big turn but definite, reliable fade. (-3, 3)
5. Something that turns some, has some fade (-2, 2)
6. Big turn, no fade (-4, 1)
7. If none of those work for max distance, then a disc I like for max distance, usually a light weight overstable disc, also helps for getting up hills.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

One - currently it's an Axiom Insanity.

Fairway Drivers - typically 3 (overstable, stable, understable)

I will use two or three Distance Drivers in a round (I consider distance driver to be speed 10+):

158 Champ Katana (calm day bomber, recently kicked my Laces out of this slot, had been throwing those for about a year)

171 Star Destroyer (nicely beat, some turn and some reliable fade)

172 S-line DDx (mainly just for fun, feels closer to the Destroyer in beef so far but hoping to break it into something amazing, as it will straight up go)

If you consider Speed 9 a distance driver, you can add an Escape, a Z Predator, and a Sidewinder to the mix. Those cover OS to US pretty nicely for me.

0-1. Depending on the course I'm occasionally carrying a Tern. I only use it for very long downhill shots where I can use the insane glide to get it out to 400+ (only downhill, there's no way I'm getting that kind of distance on flat ground). On flat ground I get better control and similar distance with fairway drivers

I carry two discs I would consider to be distance drivers and their only function in to throw as far as I can. They are an Ape for FH shots over 400 and a King for BH shots over 400.

I can reach almost everything else with my control drivers(Firebird/Stag).

Depends on your definition. Anything speed 9-10 is usually considered a control driver.

I don't carry anything over a speed 10. My distance lineup is Sidewinder-3x Orc-Starfire.

OP, how far are you throwing these discs? Clinging to a champion Boss within the first year is generally not a good idea. Yes, it might be fun to thrown it as hard as you can and see it fade back even if its really cranked over to the left (RHFH).... But it typically prevents new players from learning the good form that will allow you to drive more consistently and actually let you learn what your other discs can do.

OP, how far are you throwing these discs? Clinging to a champion Boss within the first year is generally not a good idea. Yes, it might be fun to thrown it as hard as you can and see it fade back even if its really cranked over to the left (RHFH).... But it typically prevents new players from learning the good form that will allow you to drive more consistently and actually let you learn what your other discs can do.

I consistently get it out past 300'-310' with fairly reasonable accuracy, occasionally as far as 360' or so when everything is perfect

I throw it (and all my DDs) with the outer edge tilted towards my body [like this: /] slightly (I'd say about 2:30 on a clock face). [For the life of me, and it's frustrating considering I actually have a very high IQ in RL, I can't figure out the difference b/w anhyzer and hyzer as it translates to RHFH.] With most of my DDs, if I miss, it's because I overcook them (my term) and they turn too much - that's presuming it's not one of my complete form meltdowns I sometimes exhibit.

So, basically I do exactly what you describe in your second sentence

In the way of background: Despite my age, I am active in many adult recreational baseball leagues (50-60 games a year) and I pitch in a lot of those games. I also pick up most things athletic pretty quickly. Most of the DG vets I play with tell me I'm pretty far along for only being seven months into the sport.

havent settled on a setup this year but 2 photons and sometimes an orbital. I always bag a tesla/volt which fly 400'+ anyway. Sort of decided to say screw all the high speed stuff after trying every new 11+ speed disc from MVP.

Lately ive been playing really well with just an ion and volt. I feel like the less molds i tend to carry the better I play. No 2nd guessing just grip and rip.

4 Star Destroyers. 1 is super understable, another is pretty straight, and I have 2 that are pretty overstable. I throw speed 9 drivers much more often though due to there not being many holes long enough to break out the Destroyers.

I carry one: a Krait that is super light and I use it for overheards way more than I do tee shots. I use a Valkyrie for forehands but most of the time I drive with a River, which I love. Occasionally, on a windless day, I will tee off with the Krait but usually the River.

I still have plenty in the bag, but I've recently realized that I can put speed 9s out the same distance as speed 14s (400', +/- 15'). It shouldnt surprise me I guess, since I can put the Truth out almost as far as I can put speed 14s (380', +/-15) which, for the record, makes me feel like I'm doing something really wrong. The fact that my distance is never where I lose games is what's kept me from working on it more and figuring out why. Now that me and Aviar's have fixed my putting game I'm starting to ponder..

on topic : in my last 5 rounds I pulled out a speed 10+ disc one time. I had to throw a Giant at some wind. I still have tons of high speed drivers in the bag, but I'm definitely starting to switch to slower discs + a few high speed utility drivers.

right now I'm using Saints, Giants and Colossus for forehand (I dont know.. apparently ludicrously wide rimmed drivers are way more comfortable for my ape hands to forehand...)

I carry one: a Krait that is super light
Ditto - I carry a single distance driver a Blizzard Krait. [By distance driver I mean rim size over 2cm] It is there for when I simply want distance and accuracy isn't too important. Goes straight most of the time but OAT will slice it something fierce.

I do carry four 1.9cm rimmed discs which I simply term my (control) drivers: Avenger, Undertaker, Mantis, & Heat. These are my primary drivers that will provide me with reasonable accuracy and 300'-325' of distance.

I carry a couple Pro Vulcans 168-170 for distance BH rollers (450 feet max), Fresh and Beat.

Couple Katanas Blizz 157 for Standard Max D (400), Fresh and Beat.

GStar Katana 158 for turnover D Beat (400).

GStar Boss 175 Headwind D (375).

Sometimes I throw in a Couple Wraiths or Stiletto if I am messing around. Or if I play a water heavy course where I can gamble a bit I'll bring a floater Blizz Boss 136. Pretty stable actually.

6-10. I can carry 30 total discs max, usually 28-30.

Currently I'm bagging a P-PD2, a C-DDx, and an S-DDX. If I really need something beefy I'll toss in a C-PD2.

Latest posts