• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many midranges have you owned/thrown before finding the one?

I've tried plenty and never really met one I didn't like. As far as remember it went: Roc, Buzzz, Hornet, Drone, Buzzz ss, M1, Fugitive, Truth and probably a few others.

Now I've settled on sharks and shark3s, but I could use an understable mid possibly. Thinking about trying the fuse.

Well I got back into disc golf after a 10 year break. So I had my old DX Shark, Stingray, and Cobra, they heavy in beat and not great. So I got a Roc3, and thought it was great for my approach shots. But as I got better the approach shots were done with my putters. Also some of the holes became ones I drove with a mid and the fade of Roc3 was too much. So I got an MVP Axis "because it looked cool" and discovered it was a pretty darn good disc. Made two aces with it on a 250' hole. Now that it is winter I am trying out an Ibex, and it is decent but will probably go into reserve in late spring. Oh, and I got a new Stingray because I can always turn that sucker when needed.

My advise is decide that either A) you are going to cycle one mold like the Roc - creating the type of disc you need, or B) buy the type of discs you need in quality plastic/rubber. I chose B because because I am too impatient to wait on discs to wear in and I like to keep it simple.

Next, think about the shots you need the make. For my home course I do not need an over stable mid, for example. Nor do I need an s-curve disc like a Comet. I need a mid to go straight and narrow, and mid to turn over sharply at 200' feet.

Finally, let's face it is fun trying new discs. The Axis has been awesome for me, but I wanted to try an Ibex. The Stingray gets the job done, but I will eventually try out a Z Meteor to see how it does. So if you have the extra $ it may be worth it to mix it some.

As far as 'the one' goes, it's pretty tough to cover all bases with a single mid-range.

But for covering most shots with various stages of wear, the Roc is tough to beat.

For underrated, the Cro fits the bill. And it's a small diameter.

Started with a DX Gator and Goblin. Lost the Goblin, and the dog ate the Gator. Bought a Z Buzzz SS, then bought a Discraft misprint pack. Got a Cryztal Z Buzzz and Z Comet, and they're both mainstays in the bag.

Had a Suspect, but traded it off. Tried a Star San Marino Roc...traded it off. Fugitive, same.

So CZ Buzzz and Z Comet.

I started out with a buzzz, loved it, then didnt love it. Then tried a friend's pain, liked it but switched to a champ shark.
Now I have 4 champ sharks and a dx that are perfect mids. Just like the roc except better plastic.

Aero, Vector, Panther, Mako, Shark, Gremlin, Buzzz, Roc, (every type of Roc) Roc3, Classic Roc, Flying squirrel, Core, Fuse, Lycan, Meteor, Stingray, Comet, Buzzz SS, Wasp, Truth, Suspect, Verdict, and Gator.
Gremlin, Buzzz, Buzzz SS, Fuse, & Wasp all stayed in my bag a long time. Now I'm into the Suspect, Truth, and Verdict combination. Very nice mids. I'm trying out the Gator. Why..? I have no idea.
Add the Zone, if you consider that a midrange.

Last edited:
The midrange disc ITSELF is probably the one disc I've experimented the most with and still haven't settled on "the one" yet.

I will say I have a profound love for a GL Fuse, as well as the ghost in general.

I have tried them all and have had more than a dozen "the one"s. The stability of the eventual one falls right in somewhere between the Champion Roc3, Icon Ghost, Star Rancho Roc, etc.

I have a beautiful Star San Marino Roc that I absolutely adore, but I have not found a backup that could ever match it. I prefer not to throw a disc unless I have a few back-ups that throw almost identically.

During the summer nothing throws better than an Icon Ghost, but during the wet and cold season, not only do I have no control over the Ghost (which I found out to my dismay during one of the biggest tournaments of the year), but it can actually rub my hands raw trying to grip it and power it up.

I really like Champion Roc3s, especially in the new JL Plastic, but at the end of the day it could not compete with my Z Nebula. That mid is a true workhorse. I want to make the ESP Nebulas work, but I just have the Zs zeroed in.

For me it was a process of learning what I wanted out of a disc, as always. The first mid I really latched onto was the Comet, but over time found that the uber-glide made it difficult to range on approaches, and literally useless in windy NOLA for half the year. I wanted something with a little less glide that was a little more forgiving; the Tangent was exactly that. After seeing how much I liked the Tangent, I tried a Tensor. Still not 100% sold for life on it like I am the Tangent, but the two pair very well together, and if it isn't broke....

I feel like MVP mids fit my game very well, and identifying that has helped me stabilize my midrange lineup for the last 6 months or so.

Started with a spider for everything after my tee shot, then learned a little. Now I rarely throw a mid. I bag an Ibex for general purpose and a Blaze for my hard fades.

I've tried a lot of mids: Skeeter, DX Roc, KC Pro Roc, Star Roc, GL Core, Opto Fuse, Comets, Tursas, Roc3, Icon Ghost, Z Hornet, DX Cobra, DX Stingray, ESP Meteor, GL Mace, Q Sentinel, Aurora MS, Neutron Tangent.

Right now my set up is: Glow Roc3, DX Roc3, DX Stingray, DX Cobra and I use a Fuzion Judge for a good deal of my shorter mid range shots. I've kind gone back to a couple of older reliable molds.

Started out with a Roc, tried a Buzzz (after I found this site of course), didn't like it, played with Rocs for a while, tried a Cro & a Panther, didn't like either one of those, found a Comet, liked it. Then this summer I picked up a Fuse. That was the "aha!" disc.
I still keep a Comet in the bag though. Great for field practice.

For me its simple now, 08 worlds flx drone, z buzzz(run doesnt really matter too much to be honest, I throw first runs, 10 yrs and stock z as well, all are good) and a esp comet(the stock current run, used to use the domey LE ones, my 1st one was great, the 2nd one sucked. Now I used the flatter new runs). I have a few of each of these discs and only carry 1 at a time but cycle and try to have them beat close to the same. Used to carry 3 buzzz and a zone with the drone but there is no need to carry both IMHO, I can see a drone with a VP though.

Started with the discs I bought at Dick's (you know, the beginner set with three discs in it) which was a Skeeter. My buddy borrowed it an lost it on #18 at Socastee Park in Myrtle Beach. Didn't really do much for me anyway though.

After some trial and error with a Buzzz (which I still bag but use it mostly for RHFH anhyzer shots) and working to improve my backhand, I think that my Star Kite, Star Mako, and Opto Pearl are best suited for my throwing style. So far, anyway....

ROC. I loved the XD when it first came out. Tried many mids over the years, I always go back to the Roc. Just bought a Roc3 and I'm liking it a lot. Yesterday I hit a steel post with one of my last big bird roc's and put a BIG nick in it.:mad: still flys good though. :thmbup:

My first midrange disc was a wolf. That was before I knew anything about disc golf. After that I bought a buzz ss. Because ibwanted my disc to go super straight :) since every midrange disc ive bought I bagged. Buzz roc drone zone and comet on the way.

The "one" for me right now is the suspect! I own it in every plastic available. For one I can use it for short up shots and not blow past the basket because it doesn't have allot of glide or speed, yet on the other hand you can rip into it and it won't turn over even off the tee. Small diameter, flat top, micro bead, I'm sold.

Other mids I've used; buzzz, roc, gator, cro, mace, fugitive etc...

I started out with Buzzz's, stopped throwing them for 6 months when I learned I could just use my putters (Wizards) as my mids as well. Went back to the Buzzz as my main mid when I placed it my bag for a field test and realized I could now throw it much further. Plus the Buzzz gives me a nice s-curve when I need it for anny shots.

Latest posts