• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many midranges have you owned/thrown before finding the one?

Midranges are my bread and butter. The first mid i ever owned was an old Stingray. That was followed my a Star Mako. Since then i have tryed out numerous mids, All of MVPs line-up, Most of Innovas, Most of Discraft and a few from Lat 64.

As of today my bagged Mids are:
Z Hornet
Z Buzz(X2) 1 Beat, 1 Fresh
Tursas (TP & GL)

I use putters for most of my approach shots within 150' unless i need drastic right or left movement

Too many to try and list. The last few days I have settled on my favorite mid as one of my black 1st run Pinnacle ghosts. Just amazing. (And that's coming from a guy who HATES the roc)

I don't 7 use mids at the moment. I don't feel like I've really needed one. I carry multiple putters for approach shots but I'm still learning.

I've tried almost every Innova, Discraft, MVP, Legacy and Trilogy disc and some other brands I'm sure. Used a Buzzz for years as my main mid. Really enjoyed the Core, Roc3, 1st run Pinnacle Ghost for a while...before settling on the Truth.

I pair it with a Verdict for OS which kicked the Drone out b/c it's easier to FH. Fuse and Tursas for understable shots replaced the Glide, which is still an under appreciated disc.

I currently bag 4 mids. Gold line Fuse - (turnover/hyzer flips shots), Z Buzzz (straight shots), 10 anniv. Buzzz (more stable shots and with some wind or more fade needed), and a Z Zone (hyzer, skip, & head wind shots).

Others I've tried and bagged for a while are: Gold line Pain (still throw it in the bag occasionally/its a great disc), Old Z Wasp (starting getting flippy, but I still use it in my glow bag), Truth (in between my two Buzzz's), Verdict (OK, I like the Zone/Firebird combination better, it lands in between distance wise), and Suspect (it couldn't kick Zone out and wasn't as versatile as Buzzz. Ways back the DX Cro (understable/straight shots) and a Champion Cro (all other shots) were my mids of choice. I've tried the Spider, Core, Mace, Mako 3 (if I didn't have the Fuse I would throw this), Roc3, and finally Roc. I never clicked with the Roc. It never felt right in the hand. The Roc3 was better, but the ones I threw didn't do anything special that I couldn't do with what else I'm throwing. Now that I wrote this out, I think I might go throw the Pain back in the bag.

If you're talking about a workhorse, I went from Skeeter to Buzzz to Truth, which is where I am now. I've messed around a lot with the US and OS compliments, though.

Mid was the easiest to find. Tried a Shark, it was okay; threw a Buzzz, it was love @ first flight!
An awesome driver is hardest for me to find.

I tried the Buzz at first, was 'meh', and used the dx cobra for the longest time. The I improved my form and I fell in love with the old EliteX Buzzz. Also fell in love with teh Champ Glo King Cobra

I have a Mako as a mid/putter hybrid, and I've got an MVP Vector at the house I'm itching to get my hands on.

The progression of a midrange cycle

#s 2 and 4 Slice
DX Shark
R Pro Dart
E-Z Buzzz
Lucid Truth

Currently using both the Truth and Buzzz.

Last edited:
Dx roc was the first mid I owned. I now have a zbuzzz,, flx buzzz, ESP buzzz, mace, and a pearl in my bag.

The best midrange is the one you are confident with...for me, that is the Star Mako. I like to bring it in with a nice little left to right flight path and zero it in to the basket. It just feels perfect in my hand. If I'm just going to do a quick round for fun, I will often only carry a destroyer and mako.

Pretty sure I'm set on Rocs. Like the Buzzz for a flick/approach but the Roc is my go-to backhand mid-range and I can flick a seasoned Rhyno on similar lines to a Buzzz. Different stages, different shots, different lines. Quite the versatile disc.

I like the Z Wasp for a stable affordable version of a Roc.

Considering trying the Hornet again for that more overstable slot but not beefcake.

I've seen some Fugitives thrown lately and they seem eerily similar to a Roc but maybe a tick faster and a tick straighter. Might have to try one soon for fun.

Threw the Buzzz for about 10 years. Never thought it would leave the bag. 2 weeks with the Truth/Verdict combo and the Buzzz was gone. Haven't been happier with my mid set up ever.

I like to keep a couple different mids in my bag. My short game is the most important part of my game since I'm not the most consistent putter and I don't drive with epic power. However, I'm amazing from 150 feet and in since I do field work all the time and work my upshots. Here's what I use:

D-Line P2 (175) - Great for inside 100'. Straight thrower putter, and good for windier putting, too.
DX Stingray (162) - Great for long turnovers and rollers, and really good for straight shots when you're in a trapped lie or stretching out and can't pull back.
DX Cobra (178) - Use it for everything; full power for a turnover or softer for a straight shot.
DX Roc3 (180) - My driving mid; glides like a Cobra but stable as an 11x Roc.
12x KC Pro Roc (180) - Best mid ever made. Long, softer hyzers and straight rips.
Champ Gator (175) - Running pins from 70' and in. No skip and no glide so you can take rips. Also can handle forehands pretty well. Also great for putting on blustery days.
12x KC Firebird (157) - Nice flat-top champ firebird. I like it as a forehand escape disc, and also for throwing big left to right flex shots, and approach thumbers.

I can't recall exactly my first mid, but it was either the Roc (now known as the Classic Roc) or a Stingray. When I first started, I had two 86 softies and a couple Wham-Os from my dad. I didn't get actual golf discs until middle school, and I'm pretty sure I got those at a garage sale. But by the time I was in high school I was purchasing a few discs a year and I got into the habit of buying a few Rocs a year.

Even though I've tried tons of mids over the years, the Roc just works for me. Perfect grip, perfect stability, very workable and cycleable. Right now I ditched my very OS mid (was running the Demon) in favor of an 06 USDGC Rancho, and I'm realizing I don't need anything but Rocs for mids.

Now, granted, I'm running mostly Roc 3s right now (with the exception of the Champ Rancho) but still in the Roc family. So mine is a case of trying a bunch of stuff over the years, only to realize I should just stick with Rocs.

I haven't been around the game as long as some of these folks, but in the past 3 or 4 years I've tried the Dx Roc, Buzzz, Mace, and MD2 in the workhorse mid slot. Rocs never clicked with me, the Buzzz is fantastic, the Mace is either too OS or too US with almost no sweet spot, but the MD2 is THE ONE.

Starts stable to slightly overstable, beats in to wicked straight. Me + MD2 = <3

Dx roc was the first mid I owned. I now have a zbuzzz,, flx buzzz, ESP buzzz, mace, and a pearl in my bag.

The first I owned was an Innova DX Gremlin and then a Roc. If I had a stack of old Gremlins, I would still be throwing them but I have thrown Rocs ever since and I always have at least 3 Rocs in my bag. I also throw Condors, Meteors, Comets and Wasps on occasion depending on the course I am playing.

Latest posts