• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many own a retriever?

Do you own a Golden Retriever disc recovery tool?

• Yes

Votes: 54 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 69 56.1%

• Total voters

rcracer757

Birdie Member
I know I was in need of one because I was throwing a good amount of disc'c into the water. I broke down a purchased one about four moths ago. I have yet to use it. I have thrown a couple disc's into the water. I was just not into attempting to throw my retriever in to get them. I lost both disc's on the same hole and it was cold with a fast moving stream that was impossible to see where the disc's where. I chalked it up as a lost 25 bucks or so.

i have one. if you can see your disc then you can usually retrieve it. but i have gotten some blindly.

How many feet can you throw out in a body of water and still retrieve? I live near three courses with either sink holes that fill up with water or modest ponds that aren't very deep on the banks.

also it works nicely on getting a disc off of a frozen pond, and Fender088 it comes with 50ft of rope but i dont think i understand your water holes well.

i dont own a retriever. but i have built a home made rake, it does not work
too well. but i dont mind getting in and looking around anyway.

We have 2 in our group.

I have one... they work well, with 50 feet of cord... if its 30 feet deep and forty feet out... you can reach it in theory.

It basically works best on drivers where it can hook the lip. Most discs flip under water and are flight plate down. the GR catches that lip and pulls it up. Once hooked the disc becomes a rudder(for a lack of a better word) and lifts off the bottom as you pull it in.

To retrieve a floater, get a pool noodle, and hack off a bit to wrap around your retriever...

Fast moving water, or blind throws... you are just fishing, not catching.

Just my experience.

I just picked one up from discgolfcenter on the day they were donating profits to haiti....

I didn't really want one but my wife did so she got me one for Christmas (I know, right?). I've already used it hundreds of times, especially when I play with my three kids. I carry a small bag and it fits right in the side pocket and you never even realize it's there until you need it. Every time I use it I'm amazed at how well it works (as long as you can see the disc). I have not had luck with discs that are too deep to see or in murky water.

I have one, and recently, luckily I had just pulled it out of the creek, the rope broke. So I went out and got a single 45', 40lb test rope, which isnt much thicker at all. Also got some silicone I want to try to get under the rubber protectors as it looks like it is rusting.

Labrador Retrievers work great!

I played with a guy the other day who had a dog that was all about going in the water after a disc. He was the best disc retriever I've ever seen. He would jump into the creek, grab the disc, bring it up out of the creek and drop it, and then head straight to "dad" for a treat. It was awesome.

I have one that is more like a claw. I think it is a homemade job that they were selling at the local DG store. I paid $25 for it and I have scooped over 10 discs with it in less than a year. I would say it has paid for itself. I generally have to see the disc to get it, but a few blind drags have paid off.

I played with a guy the other day who had a dog that was all about going in the water after a disc. He was the best disc retriever I've ever seen. He would jump into the creek, grab the disc, bring it up out of the creek and drop it, and then head straight to "dad" for a treat. It was awesome.

You know what? I always thought about taking my dog to do the dirty work, but I would see him wanting to chase every disc he saw and not give it back. Bet he would if I busted out a treat.

my local water holes have water moccasans and copperheads so i really like not going in and i wouldnt want a dog to go in for me

You know what? I always thought about taking my dog to do the dirty work, but I would see him wanting to chase every disc he saw and not give it back. Bet he would if I busted out a treat.

The amazing thing was, the only discs he paid any attention to were ones that went into the creek.

Bear, the dog in the video, is the MAN. His owner takes him to several big events each year (USDGC, Vibram Open, VA Open, WV Open, among others), with Bear retrieving several hundred lost discs per year. Bear was, in fact, the PDGA's "Disc Golfer of Distinction" (i.e., member of the month) once (I believe sometime in '08).

I've had one for a couple years and have used it to get ~50 discs out of the drink. As others have said, for the most part if you can see it than you can retrieve it. It takes some practice to get the hang of casting and setting the retriever under the disc. The main obstacle that I run into is streambeds with a lot of debris on the bottom. Sticks and rocks will snag either the rope or the retriver or the disc once its hooked. These problems don't stop me from pulling up the disc, just make the process more time consuming and frustrating.

i have one and love it. at the courses i play i have probably saved 80% of my water bound throws with it. one tip- add a carabiner to the end so you can clip it to your belt loop. you then don't have to worry about losing the rope out of your hand on the far throws