• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many strokes do non Innova pro's lose

How big is the Innova sponsored players advantage strokes per round

Votes: 20 31.7%

Votes: 4 6.3%

Votes: 6 9.5%

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • 5+

Votes: 31 49.2%

• Total voters
I'm going to bite on this just because. Overall I think there is a few strokes giving up just from switching companies. Not because of the disc themselves. My early switch rounds suffered too. But now I'm playing 7-10 strokes better then in the past. It's more of a learning curve then a disc curve

For the record I am a mix bag player with 6 or 7 different companies in my bag

^^This!

Switching all the discs out of your bag leads to some growing pains.

And by the way, picking Quest to prove your challenge shows how weak your argument is.

Innova makes some great discs, don't get me wrong. But so does Latitude, Prodigy, and many others. And as far as fairway drivers go, I would counter that the Stag and the River are two of the best fairway drivers out there. I also think the Volt is a fantastic fairway driver. But these are just my opinions.

Like many others, I won't vote because there isn't a 0 option.

To be fair, they're all discs based mostly off of Innova, with slight changes. There's only so much you can do with a disc to make it "different".

I'd wager that as long as I had a disc from other companies than what I'm currently throwing to fit into each stability slot, I could learn to throw them how I needed to without much loss in my scores.

Except Wizards...I'd miss the plastic WAYYYYY too much.

Yea, didn't try to slam. To me Trilogy has a lot of tweener fairways which is why I'm not a big fan of them. Like the saint pro. Great disc, but is to fast for me to get it to hold the line I want a fairway to hold.

I get that. I like throw my putter for a lot of approaches and drives off the tee so it works out well for me. Trilogy definitely does have a different speed range for the mids/fairways/drivers. Trident is incredible, for some reason, people refer to it as a tweener mid yet it has a 1.9 rim...not sure why.

Obviously, a player who throws whichever discs he/she prefers will be at their optimal performance. Once you limit the disc selection to one company there will be disadvantage(however slight). Innova has the largest selection(hundreds of varieties and three brands). For this reason I assume Innova sponsored players have a slight advantage over players sponsored by other manufactures.

Am I wrong?

I voted 4. Sorry, had to. All this time and the little guy had received no votes!

Very charitable.

I suspect a touch of sarcasm among the 5+ votes. Though I love the notion that there are discs than can make a 5 stroke difference, or more. It gives me the hope that one day I'll stumble across them, and be 5 strokes better without correcting my form flaws.

Trilogy Fairways: Saint Pro, Fury, Saint, River, xXx, Striker,Trident, Vision, Stag, Hatchet, Underworld, Escape = 12 discs

Innova Fairways: Viper, Banshee, Whippet, Teebird, Gazelle, Eagle, TL, Cheetah, Leopard = 9 discs

You could then argue that Trilogy has 7 discs that are very good and usable, Innova only 3. And this doesn't even include companies like Discraft, MVP....

Anyway, I bet McBeth would kick your ass with a lid from my grandma's pan.

TRILOGY

Saint Pro - Speed 8
Fury - Speed 9
Saint - Speed 9
River - Speed 7
XXX - Speed 7
Striker - Speed 9
Trident - Speed 5
Vision - Speed 8
Stag - Speed 8
Hatchet - Not yet released - Speed 9
Underworld - Speed 7
Escape - Speed 9

Diamond - Speed 8
Jade - Speed 9
Witness - Yet to be released

Total "Fairways" - 15
Speed 6's and 7's - 3 or 5 if you count the warship and the witness

INNOVA

Viper - Speed 6
Whippet - Speed 6
Gazelle - Speed 6
Cheetah - Speed 6
Leopard - Speed 6
Banshee - Speed 7
Teebird - Speed 7
Eagle X - Speed 7
Eagle L - Speed 7
TL - Speed 7
Dragon - Speed 8
Archangel - Speed 8
Firebird - Speed 9
FL - Speed 9
Viking - Speed 9
Valkyrie - Speed 9
Sidewinder - Speed 9
Roadrunner - Speed 9

Total "Fairways" - 17
Speed 6's and 7's - 9

So if you want to compare the trilogy and Innova then I would suggest putting the numbers on an even playing field.

Also I could have added the speed 6's through 9's from Discmania and Millennium to further the numbers for Innova.

And the reason why I broke it down by Speed 6's and 7's is because I consider the speed 8's though 10's to be tweeners. Not quite fairways yet not quite distance drivers.

Fairways

Discraft - Has like 3 fairways and they are a joke
Prodigy - Not proven yet to be good
The Trilogy - Has like 1 that would be considered a fairway and the rest are speed 10 tweener discs.
Gateway - Lol
Discmania - the FD is ehh.
Legacy - Rival and Patriot are great and the only thing that can compete with Innova.

Innova - Teebird, TL, Eagle, Leopard. Nothing really comes close.

Discraft has more than three :wall:
xs is pretty awesome though

TRILOGY
1.5 - Truth/Verdict
1.8 - Diamond/River/Saint Pro/Vision
1.9 - Witness/Fury/Jade/Saint/Striker/Trident/Hatchet/Stag/Underworld
2.0 - Northman/Escape/XXX/

Speed 5-7 (1.5-1.8) - 6
Speed "7.5-8.5ish" (1.9) - 9
Speed 8.5-10ish (2.0) - 3

INNOVA
1.5 - Lycan
1.6 - Ace/Barracuda/Cheetah/Dolphin/Gazelle/Jaguar/Kite/Leopard/Raven/Viper
1.7 - Eagle /Griffin/Pegasus/Phenix/Scorpion/Thunderbird/Whippet
1.8 - Banshee/Dragon/Ram/Roadrunner/Sidewinder/Teebird L (TL)
1.9 - Archangel/Firebird/Firebird L/Python/Valkyrie/Viking
2.0 - Beast/Monster/ORC/Starfire/Starfire L (SL)

Speed 5-7 (1.5-1.8) - 18
Speed 7.5-8.5 (1.9)- 6
Speed 8.5-10ish (2.0) - 5

So if you want to compare the trilogy and Innova then I would suggest putting the numbers on an even playing field.

I really think it makes more sense to use rim width. The trident's rim is 1.9 and it's listed as a speed 5?

However, the escape is called a fairway, but the orc is not...I honestly think Horsman has a great point. Innova clearly puts a much higher emphasis on the 1.6/1.7 range. The trilogy lineup caters to those who really want to stretch their mids, then disc up for the fairway slot a little bit.

Trilogy has longer fairways than innova, I don't think there is really room for discussion Let me be clear, I'm not saying better, I'm saying faster.

I really think it makes more sense to use rim width. The trident's rim is 1.9 and it's listed as a speed 5?

However, the escape is called a fairway, but the orc is not...I honestly think Horsman has a great point. Innova clearly puts a much higher emphasis on the 1.6/1.7 range. The trilogy lineup caters to those who really want to stretch their mids, then disc up for the fairway slot a little bit.

Trilogy has longer fairways than innova, I don't think there is really room for discussion Let me be clear, I'm not saying better, I'm saying faster.

Agreed with you there. I just think they need to start working on the slower Speed 6 and 7 fairways and not the faster ones. Myself and others like the 6's and 7's because they can hold a line a bit longer than the faster fairways/tweeners.

In Feldburge's interview on disc golf talk radio he said his game suffered because he didnt have anything broken in. I think that after the initial switch a player is not completely comfortable however most major companies have the molds that a good player can throw with a little practice. I think this year will show that it is more of the player not the disc. That being said mcbeth has a huge advantage because he has thrown the molds in his bag for longer than the prodigy guys or trilogy.

Latest posts