• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many US states have you played? What’s your next state to cross off?

Course Count : 1575 (DGCR 1515)
States Played : 49
Last State to Play: Hawaii (hopefully get it in the next two years)

Top Ten Most Played States: (+ means I have private courses played in those states)

California : 550+
Arizona : 120+
Oregon : 116+
Texas : 76
Minnesota :68
Florida : 63
North Carolina : 62+
Wisconsin : 48+
Colorado : 45+
Nevada : 44
Dang, that's a lot of courses!

Say, I have friends in Ontario, CA, what course(s) would you recommend visiting in California? Any portion of the state, just not including Delaveaga (I think I butchered the spelling)

After our trip to Maine this summer, I'm now at 21 States played, and 4 Canadian Provinces. I was fortunate to play 2 courses in each of the Provinces, including Hillcrest Farm!!

Next state on my list will probably be OH, then maybe MI or WI.
Saw Hillcrest Farm on coverage last year, that's a trek! How would you say the courses in the other Canadian provinces compare to Hillcrest?

14 states:

CT (5)
DE (4)
FL (43)
GA (3)
MD (1)
MA (14)
NH (2)
NJ (5)
NY (1)
NC (2)
PA (61)
RI (2)
TN (4)
VA (1)

I only played 6 holes of a course in Kentucky, so I don't count it. Next stop is either SC or AL. Maybe ME if I get up there.

Saw Hillcrest Farm on coverage last year, that's a trek! How would you say the courses in the other Canadian provinces compare to Hillcrest?
The two I played around Quebec City were both very flat, probably because they were in the St. Lawrence River valley.
NB - 1 avg school course and a surprisingly interesting park course in Saint John. Had some fun rock formations for pin positions, but also a few overgrown and rough holes.
PEI - the other course I played was on a ball golf course. No too bad a layout, but they did use some woods that are available.
NS - The 18 holer was a combo of gravel road fairways, moderately open fairways and a few fairways carved out of the some of the thickest forest (both quantity and quality) that I have seen. Also, a nice little beginner friendly course in Halifax.
Hillcrest Farm - probably the best element is the property the course is located on, very hilly- creates a lot of fast greens, picturesque water hazards - #11 has to be one of the nicest looking holes in DG!, open land - just a few moderately open holes to give you a break from the woods. Oh yea, and a John Houch design to bring all those elements together!!
My visit was just after the course was reopened, so I could see the effects of how much work had to be done to get it reopened. Hats off to all of those that put the hard work in!!

The two I played around Quebec City were both very flat, probably because they were in the St. Lawrence River valley.
NB - 1 avg school course and a surprisingly interesting park course in Saint John. Had some fun rock formations for pin positions, but also a few overgrown and rough holes.
PEI - the other course I played was on a ball golf course. No too bad a layout, but they did use some woods that are available.
NS - The 18 holer was a combo of gravel road fairways, moderately open fairways and a few fairways carved out of the some of the thickest forest (both quantity and quality) that I have seen. Also, a nice little beginner friendly course in Halifax.
Hillcrest Farm - probably the best element is the property the course is located on, very hilly- creates a lot of fast greens, picturesque water hazards - #11 has to be one of the nicest looking holes in DG!, open land - just a few moderately open holes to give you a break from the woods. Oh yea, and a John Houch design to bring all those elements together!!
My visit was just after the course was reopened, so I could see the effects of how much work had to be done to get it reopened. Hats off to all of those that put the hard work in!!
Re Hillcrest - Glad to hear that the course was still impressive after the storm rolled through. Did it look like a large # of trees were lost?

We had a trip planned for the summer of 2020 that would have taken us to two more provinces of Canada where I haven't been or played. That trip got canceled, of course, and we haven't rescheduled it. I've played in 5 provinces, so I guess it would be nice to add more. :)

Hillcrest, on Prince Edward Island, is definitely in my top five. But we were there in 2013, long before the hurricane that damaged it. Idk what kind of shape it is in now.
So fun getting to play my 2nd Houck course, so many of the holes felt familiar.
From what I saw from the work days, and then playing there, they lost several trees on 6 and 7. All are cleaned up just the weekend before I was there on Labor Day, but the ground was still torn up from the work. But don't fear - #11 didn't have any damage, still one of the best looking holes in DG!
I recently saw that a "halfway house" and RR has opened where 6-7 and 15-16 come together.
Go glad I convinced my wife to spend a couple of nights on PEI!! ;)

I'm surprised you haven't got MN in there being all around IL, IA, WI. However, you got a good one coming up in Vermont! So beautiful out there.
Yeah, when I lived in Wisconsin and then Iowa, neither location was close to Minnesota. It is certainly a state I want to get to sooner or later.

Did some google mapping and the closest course in states I haven't played are all 5-6 hours away so unless work takes me to a state I haven't played in it could be tough to get a new state in 2024.

Not impossibility though.

I've played 188 courses in 36 states.
Alabama -1
Colorado -25
Connecticut -1
Delaware -1
Florida -20
Georgia -5
Illinois -4
Indiana -5
Kansas -15
Kentucky -1
Louisiana -2
Maryland -2
Massachusetts -2
Michigan -7
Minnesota -6
Mississipp1 -2
Missouri -3
Montana -1
Nebraska -2
New Jersey -1
New Mexico -6
New York -
North Carolina -3
North Dakota -6
Ohio -3
Pennsylvania -30 ( home state )
South Carolina -1
South Dakota -2
Tennessee -2
Texas -5
Utah -1
Vermont -4
Virginia -10
West Virginia -2
Wisconsin -4
Wyoming -2

The next states will probably be Arkansas and Oklahoma

Did some google mapping and the closest course in states I haven't played are all 5-6 hours away so unless work takes me to a state I haven't played in it could be tough to get a new state in 2024.

Not impossibility though.
What time is it right now? Remember to look at a clock in 6 hours and remind yourself you could have been playing a new state.

I have played courses in 42 states. I have visited 49 of the 50 states (excluding Alaska), so I'm kicking myself that I didn't play disc golf when I was there. Especially Hawaii! The states I have remaining are:

Alaska
Connecticut
Delaware
Hawaii
Maryland
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Virginia

To be honest, I have been off of DGCR for the past few years, so I need to update my list of played courses on this platform. Once I update that list I can provide the cool counts per state that many of you have done.

I took two road trips in 2022 that included the goal of checking off some states. I played in Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi in the Spring and Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota and Wyoming in the Summer. Looking at the list above, I think there is a road trip around the Eastern Seaboard in my future in 2024. I'm also trying to play as many Steady Ed-designed courses as possible since they are disappearing. I was able to check off the bucket list item of playing a Saucer Golf course while I was in Minnesota.

Course collecting is fun! And disc golf is the best road trip sport!

What time is it right now? Remember to look at a clock in 6 hours and remind yourself you could have been playing a new state.

Depends on priorities. You could also play a really good nearby course, get a nice lunch, do some shopping, and be home in time for a nice nap in 3 hours. Compared to the 15 hours to drive, play and get back home in the new state. Maybe I'm just getting older, lol.