• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are the Odds 3 players have 606 courses played for 3 states

lion

I'm feeling frisky.
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
What are the odds that today when I looked at my west coast states : California, Oregon, and Washington that my totals for the 3 would add up to 606 courses played. Now this is all DGCR courses, practice areas, temps, seasonal, and RIP courses.
I wonder if the other two West Coast courses baggers are doing better? Well I looked at :

The Valkyrie Kid and he also has 606. Crazy!!!

Next I checked out

Discbear and he also has 606. Mind blown!!!!

Obviously we all have private, temp, and other courses in our logging not on this site but for today we all have 606 for those 3 states.

ITS A TIE!!!

That is pretty ridiculous actually. In many ways. Even considering temp, private, etc. What are the odds of that happening? The strangest thing is you noticing that today, In a week it'd probably be different.

"[People] view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything."

What are the odds that today when I looked at my west coast states : California, Oregon, and Washington that my totals for the 3 would add up to 606 courses played. Now this is all DGCR courses, practice areas, temps, seasonal, and RIP courses.
I wonder if the other two West Coast courses baggers are doing better? Well I looked at :

The Valkyrie Kid and he also has 606. Crazy!!!

Next I checked out

Discbear and he also has 606. Mind blown!!!!

Obviously we all have private, temp, and other courses in our logging not on this site but for today we all have 606 for those 3 states.

ITS A TIE!!!

Crazy, but not as crazy as it would seem at first. When burning though a closed set, there are easier courses to hit, and some that are very hard. The amount played will grow fast at first, then slow as each course takes more effort. The intersection of their 606 may represent almost all of the courses that are not nearly impossible.

What Steve said.

But also, in any given day, week, month or year, we experience a massive number of events. We don't notice all of the times the unremarkable, likely, things happen, we only notice when something occurs that is "rare".

You might be playing your local muni course and you and your buddy both ace the same hole back to back. You think "Wow, that's almost impossible. What are the odds?" Well, given all of the groups that have gone through that hole, given that the hole is aceable, you are going to have some groups that include multiple aces. You just happen to be the group that did it. Given enough rounds, the odds that it happens at some point are near 100%, but you couldn't have predicted in advance that your group was going to be the one to do it.

Rare things happen all the time, because so many more things happen all the time. Welcome to your statistical oddity of the day.