• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much disc golf do you play//prevent injury?

Well, so would hiking or walking around, though.

The best thing for preventing/losing fat is just less food in the old pie hole... and some sustained aerobic activity. Whether that's walking, hiking, rollerblading, cycling, swimming laps, etc does not matter. The bottom line is just that you enjoy it and keep doing it... ie I don't really enjoy running, but I like mountain biking, DG, or rollerblading.

And...here you list disc-golf as an aerobic activity along with running, mountain biking, rollerblading. Way to contradict your argument again. :clap:

Also building muscle is the best way to lose fat, burns more calories while doing nothing. ;)

Ever play speed disc-golf? Try that out chief. :)

Play 3 rounds on a Saturday afternoon in August under the Texas sun and then tell me it's not a sport. Granted, the old hippies and I are pretty much out there by ourselves sometimes...

I try to play around 3 - 4 times a week more if i can. I stretch before and after each round. sometimes i will take out every disc in my bag and gently toss them to warm up my throws. While playing i try to not to throw every hole the same way. Some holes i throw forehand, others backhand, I only throw overhand if i have to throw a tomahawk shot. and even then i try not to overpower my shots. i will play around 36 holes a day if i have the time. but being fit also helps.

any given week, i play at LEAST 100 holes. my home course has 24 holes, with 28 possible tees. i play at least 1 round every morning, usually 2

I play twice a week. Mondays and Thursdays. If anything, I play another day...never less than 2 days a week. 2 days is ideal. 3 days is bonus time.

I play probably 5 times a week, all over the state. I drive a lot for work, so I get plenty of chances to play. I have not had any injuries because of it.

nice to see this thread still going. Last couple months i play everyday unless its like hurricane type weather. I ride an exercise bike a couple times a week so my knees hold up for tournaments. Also i do a back/chest routine once a week or so that includes row type exercise and reverse flys for the back of the shoulder.

My body is holding up so far doing the above. (knock on wood)

No joke, I saw a guy bitching about how physically demanding a course was. This course happened to be the Blue Course at Armco, in KY. If I recall correctly, he said he should not have played another round, because he was so spent. He could barely move his muscles afterwards, he said.
Give me an F'n break!
The day I played Armco Blue AND White, I started at Rotary and Indian Rock in WV.
This 4 course day was awesome! I can say without doubt that Rotary AND Indian Rock are more strenuous than either Armco course.
If you are gonna travel for disc...man up.

stretch when you wake up (not when you get to the course), eat a good solid breakfast, take 2 aleve, stretch when you get to the course, throw at least 5 practice drives and putts, play a round, eat a good lunch, play a round or two, eat a good dinner, play again (if you have light), after your last round stretch, before you go to bed stretch.

Sounds like a lot of stretching, but it works. I play 2 rounds each morning and up to 8 rounds on Sunday and Mondays with no problems.

I play object golf just about every day at the local park, a county park with lots of room. And then I play about once a week at the course. Any time I get too many throws in, my arm tells me about it, like it is now!

I play when i can and it is a roller coaster with work taking over some of the times. I find that if i am throwing properly that my arms legs nor back tend to hurt too much. even being out of shape most of the time :(

Hi, Wondering how much disc golf some of you play? Do you play every single day? If so, do you use any stradegy to prevent injury to your arm/wrist/hand.

For myself i throw alot of overhand and this year ive been playing almost everyday (at least for the last month or so anyway). Ive certainly noticed i need to ice up my shoulder most nights if i want to play the next day.

Im really wondering if people use any other techniques to keep your disc arms in shape. Im a little concerned about overplaying and causing injury. I generally will just use Ice for 30min or so and thats it.

Also any conditioning tip would be great also. I do some mild weight lifting and exercise bike currently but id love to learn a tip or two for disc golf.

ty all

dukdukgolf

I've played every single day for the past 6 days. Played 54 total holes today on 2 different courses. I'm playing through a rotator cuff injury which probably isn't the best idea, but I feel like I'm forcing my body to adapt.

And...here you list disc-golf as an aerobic activity along with running, mountain biking, rollerblading. Way to contradict your argument again. :clap:

Also building muscle is the best way to lose fat, burns more calories while doing nothing. ;)

Ever play speed disc-golf? Try that out chief. :)
'Activity' is not equal to 'sport.' As I said, they all burn calories (at diff rates based on intensity), but sports activities are intense enough that risk injuries and you need to train to perform well. Walking is an activity. Yoga is an activity. Target shooting is an activity. Footbag is an activity. Nintendo Wii is an activity. Croquet is an activity... Soccer is an active sport. Basketball is an active sport.

...Like I said, I digress here. You pretty much define the statement "you can't win with some people." I've got work to do and better ways to spend my time than explain why I don't think walking around a park tossing discs is really that high of a physical demand or needs elite training to do pretty well at. If you wish to continue to state the valors and grueling days on the DG greens, be my guest. lol :wall:

Last edited:
I play almost every day or two. some times hitting one or more courses. I started learning how to side arm because when I would throw back hand I had a bad habit of bringing the disc all the way to my wrist (which gives a bad drag and bad snap) and over power my throw (results were not great)

too many times doing this would result in not finishing last three holes because I hurt my shoulder. when I started doing a side arm it gave me a great snap, now I just approach the front of the tee and snap instead of running (or over power) and I still can throw up to 150+ or more with no problem.

'Activity' is not equal to 'sport.' As I said, they all burn calories (at diff rates based on intensity), but sports activities are intense enough that risk injuries and you need to train to perform well. Walking is an activity. Yoga is an activity. Target shooting is an activity. Footbag is an activity. Nintendo Wii is an activity. Croquet is an activity... Soccer is an active sport. Basketball is an active sport.

...Like I said, I digress here. You pretty much define the statement "you can't win with some people." I've got work to do and better ways to spend my time than explain why I don't think walking around a park tossing discs is really that high of a physical demand or needs elite training to do pretty well at. If you wish to continue to state the valors and grueling days on the DG greens, be my guest. lol :wall:

you have never played a tournament and your courses are very flat i am guessing.

stretch when you wake up (not when you get to the course), eat a good solid breakfast, take 2 aleve, stretch when you get to the course, throw at least 5 practice drives and putts, play a round, eat a good lunch, play a round or two, eat a good dinner, play again (if you have light), after your last round stretch, before you go to bed stretch.

Sounds like a lot of stretching, but it works. I play 2 rounds each morning and up to 8 rounds on Sunday and Mondays with no problems.

wow,,good for you!

Your definition of sport(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport) is not up to par, nor is your logic. I never said it needs elite training, but it would only help, especially at the highest level of the sport. You only need to look at the PGA to see that being in elite conditioning is very common today amongst the top. You keep generalizing disc golf as only a recreational activity and stereotyping everybody that plays it. Be a little more open minded buddy, or better yet come out to Iron Hill, DE and play a real course! :popcorn:http://www.dgcoursereview.com/revie...=&exp_min=&exp_max=&exp_played=&exp_reviewed=

To compete at the top of the PDGA it requires a lot of work. If it were really that easy then why don't you try to compete with the best? :D

'Activity' is not equal to 'sport.' As I said, they all burn calories (at diff rates based on intensity), but sports activities are intense enough that risk injuries and you need to train to perform well.

This made me lol so hard I fell out of my chair at work. If all it takes to be a sport is injury risk, then disc golf qualifies, along with bowling, golf, ping pong, darts, and pool (ok, those last 2 are a stretch). Seriously, you must be heading out to the course throwing everything 100 feet if you think injury is not a real possibility in disc golf. Even with proper form, you're putting a ton of strain on your larger muscle groups as you rotate cleanly through the shot and maintain a stable base with your lead leg. I can use golf as a parallel here, but rotator cuff injuries in golf are super common, so are knee problems and hip problems. These same things come into play with proper rotation in disc golf.The only thing that makes you more likely to blow out your knee in say football vs disc golf is that you have people consciously trying to knock you down while you play.

On the training side of things, hell yeah you need to train to perform well in disc golf. Top level players aren't carrying a 12 pack on their shoulders and playing 18 holes with one beat up Valkyrie that they throw 100 feet. These guys (and women too) are bombing drives, carrying 30+ discs, hiking on relatively difficult terrain and doing it all while using a large percentage of their muscle groups to power the disc. Let's compare this to a line-man in football who wears a hefty amount of pads roughly equivalent to the weight of the equipment a DGer is carrying, uses mostly lower body strength for short bursts and does not have to hike anywhere and also gets to take a break on turnovers. I'll be honest with you, if I wasn't built like a twig, I'd probably be opting for the short bursts of physical activity vs. a long sustained energy output required to play a DG tournament. I am not built like a linebacker, so I play disc golf. The training to be able to perform at a top level for many holes during the course of the day is high. Sure, I could not train and go duff around throwing 100 footers like you, but I want to perform well, so I throw in the practice field a ton, I condition my body, I get mentally prepared.

Your argument is just poor in general. Pretty sure an activity is elevated to sport status when you have to practice daily, get physically fit, build muscle, work on balance, and sharpen your mental game to even have a chance to hang. This is what separates a sport (like DG) from a game (like playing catch with your friends)

Latest posts