• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much extra time for distractions?

seedlings

* Ace Member *
I know you get 30s after the area is clear. Andrew Marwede was about to putt at Shelly sharp when a pedestrian walked by the cart path to distract. He did not take much time, but he did reset, which made me think... Question: is there traditionally any extra time given for distractions outside the cleared area of play?

Technically there is no time. The only resets in the clock are when the playing area is not clear. The playing area is defined as any logical place a disc could fly through.

so someone walking behind a basket could be the playing area, just depends on the situation. But its absolutely not simply being distracted as of 2022.

I didn't see anything about distractions, but it would be interesting if 2023 brings a tighter time clock and Nikko is putting and someone honks their horn.

I would have to relook at the video, but I believe the person on the sidewalk was within his possible line of play. That course gets a lot of activity as the city won't let them close it down for the tournaments. The sidewalks are really close to the line of play for many holes. While they are pros, they still do have grip lock/shank issues or even plan on throwing over the OB sidewalks. So, that could have been why he waited. It is normal to wait for people using the sidewalks to ensure there's no way to hit them. It's happened a few times and unfortunately many users of the park are wearing headphones/earbuds and can't hear a player yell fore. And many of them don't even know what that means. I've seen people get hit and I've heard tales of it. One year, the city made Spinners close down one of the holes prior to the Memorial because someone practicing the hole hit a walker and the walker ended up getting stitches and filing a complaint (maybe a lawsuit) with the city.

Anyways, the field of play can sometimes be outside your intended line.

Technically there is no time. The only resets in the clock are when the playing area is not clear. The playing area is defined as any logical place a disc could fly through.

so someone walking behind a basket could be the playing area, just depends on the situation. But its absolutely not simply being distracted as of 2022.

Where is it defined?

I don't know about y'all, but my game is not constrained to areas that the disc could logically fly through.

Heck, sometimes it's not even safe to be directly behind me. I earned the nickname of Wild Bill. ((Although my backhands have gotten better....my cardmates aren't as nervous as they used to be when I line up a backhand)).

And that is a problem imo when players are expected to be able to make these calls.

Players can do a better job of making the call based on a general idea than they could with a fourteen-page definition covering every possible situation.

For example, while almost everyone would allow a thrower to wait until "any logical place a disc could fly through" was clear, almost everyone would also give the thrower extra time to wait for the Mom to come take the baby stroller away from the back half of the tee pad.

The Rules Committee is actually not part of the process for making rulings. That stops with the TD.

Ask the group, go with what most think. If there is a tie go with what's beneficial to the thrower. If anyone objects to that, they can appeal to the TD.

That process works for every ruling in every situation. No hard-and-fast definition could possibly do that.

I would have to relook at the video, but I believe the person on the sidewalk was within his possible line of play. That course gets a lot of activity as the city won't let them close it down for the tournaments. The sidewalks are really close to the line of play for many holes. While they are pros, they still do have grip lock/shank issues or even plan on throwing over the OB sidewalks. So, that could have been why he waited. It is normal to wait for people using the sidewalks to ensure there's no way to hit them. It's happened a few times and unfortunately many users of the park are wearing headphones/earbuds and can't hear a player yell fore. And many of them don't even know what that means. I've seen people get hit and I've heard tales of it. One year, the city made Spinners close down one of the holes prior to the Memorial because someone practicing the hole hit a walker and the walker ended up getting stitches and filing a complaint (maybe a lawsuit) with the city.

Anyways, the field of play can sometimes be outside your intended line.

Wanted to be clear that Marwede was well within his time. The occasion set my brain wondering, and that's all.

Wanted to be clear that Marwede was well within his time. The occasion set my brain wondering, and that's all.

I understand that....it is a curious thing if you aren't familiar with the course and past issues on it. It and Fountain Hills have a lot of "traffic" where users have no clue what disc golf is. It is 'snow bird season' and there even more people walking, running, etc around the course. Heck, Fountain Hills commonly has people setting up picnics in the fairways or at the baskets. I believe the players are advised to be extra aware of the park users and 'play it safe'; even if that means waiting a bit longer than they probably should. When I was a volunteer, I frequently would hear someone in a group state....I'm going to wait for that person to move along just in case I <fill in blank here>.

Players can do a better job of making the call based on a general idea than they could with a fourteen-page definition covering every possible situation.

For example, while almost everyone would allow a thrower to wait until "any logical place a disc could fly through" was clear, almost everyone would also give the thrower extra time to wait for the Mom to come take the baby stroller away from the back half of the tee pad.

The Rules Committee is actually not part of the process for making rulings. That stops with the TD.

Ask the group, go with what most think. If there is a tie go with what's beneficial to the thrower. If anyone objects to that, they can appeal to the TD.

That process works for every ruling in every situation. No hard-and-fast definition could possibly do that.

In 2021 there were almost 7000 PDGA events. If there were 18 groups per round and 2 rounds per event (some will have had fewer, some will have had way more) that makes over 250000 different possible interpretations of your undefined area.

IMO writing a rule which includes an undefined portion and then telling thousands of TD's "you make it up" is solidly no bueno. A major purpose of having rules to begin with is to provide consistency from one event to another and from one player to another within those events.

Latest posts