• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How often do you use spin drives?

How often do you do spinning drives?

• Never, I don't find any benefit

Votes: 138 90.2%
  • Sometimes when I really need extra D on an open hole

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • All the time

Votes: 6 3.9%

• Total voters
Pretty much this. All it gives you extra reach back. If you (or anyone) could be consistent at this approach, you'd see it in play more often. But you don't, it leaves such a wide gap of miscalculation it's not worth it. Stand backwards to your target, you'll actually get similar results....

i used to know many people that whose run up was actually with them faced completely backwards. they were more consistent then the 360 drivers but still they had spray. distance competition silliness only imo

I've been doing the 360 drive a little bit lately on long open holes. I don't really run up and try to throw as hard as I can. For now, just nice and smooth until I don't have to think about my footwork anymore. This has been adding at least 30' to my normal drive. I've been pretty accurate, I use a 161g champ Starfire. Normally it has a hard fade. With the spin, it goes straight and finishes straight. No fade. I like doing it more on grass or dirt than on concrete. I'm worried I'm going to injure my ankle or knee on concrete. Not sure if I'll continue doing this, but I'm digging the extra D!

Thrown correctly, the 360 adds about 10% to a distance throw. It's the throw of choice for distance contests. It is possible to use it on golf course, but not recommended, especially if you haven't put in lots of field work prior. If you've done your homework, you can use it on an open hole and get a bit more distance, without sacrificing much accuracy.

Gregg Hosfeld threw it off the first tee of finals at Charlotte, with a mando on one side and an OB road on the other. (Probably just being an entertainer, but hey, it was entertaining!) Pros rarely throw it, though, because most can already throw far enough with straight run-up, and would rather have maximum accuracy.

Never. I have a cousin that does this all of the time. He learned and plays most on a wide open course with distance as the main "hazard." He suffers from it when we play courses with smaller tees, more trees, shorter holes, natural tees, etc. I never use it in a round. Maybe sometime just messing around.

360s help me stop being flat footed. Can be a nice warm up. Wouldn't use it in competition.

Ive messed with them for when my friends and I throw for distance. I would never throw one in a round but the times Ive gotten it right they have been crushed

I only use a 360 run up in distance competitions. It does add a few extra feet to my drives but it normally kills the accuracy

watch the disc in Mcbeth's hand when he starts to come around into the throw. he looks like a freaking ninja!

I have tried them, but I am horribly inaccurate. It took my months to fix my X step, It would take me years to learn a good 360.
I have seen Austin Pfaff (APfaff/BMXcraziekid) use them to throw over 500 feet as a 15 year old.

think i'd lose all control doing that.

Dion Arlyn at 5:18 in the video throws a HUGE spin drive. Accurate and far. Plants the hole. He, of course, is the exception, not the rule.

It's hard enough for me to hit the line I want to to begin with.
Add spinning and someone would see me on my a$$...

I don't do the 360 drive because I never get the disc in the direction I'm actually trying for. But if it's working for you, great. :)

Never in a round. Done it in a field a few times. I'd say 1/5 of the time I end up falling on my keister, and 2/5 of the time actually pulling a drive that is respectable.

Latest posts