• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to Build a Bag

I think that's an error that many beginners, including myself, make - when I picked up an Avenger SS, expecting it to be a speed 6 or 7, only to find out too late find out it was a speed 10 (clearly the product of too much experimentation and not enough research). I've since ordered myself a Leopard in DX plastic in an attempt to bring myself back to where I should be at this point.

Wise decision, Grasshopper (from the 70s series Kung Fu for you youngsters). I keep two Leopards in my bag, one Pro and one DX. Even though DX is said to beat in quickly, remember that it often starts out very stable. For some reason I keep losing DX Leopards and my Pro has been in there for several years to become a right turning machine (that doesn't turn-and-burn easily). So, my DX has the stable Leo spot for now. I thought about (and bought) a Champ Leo, but found that my Pro Gazelle fits that slot nicely and throws easier.

I do know that after about 6 months of playing, in 2004 I got a DX Valkyrie 169 grams Speed 9 and a Leopard in DX as my main driver discs, did not continue with the Leopard as I had the L type with small bead at rim end of disc and wanted the Leopard in Champion to feel the same. Champion and Pro were the only premium plastic available in the Innova lineup at the time in 2005. I liked the Valkyrie but I do not think I could get the full flight of the disc. My Putter in 2004 was between a 172 gram Rubber Putter my first disc without the DuPont in the plastic and a 172 gram g9i Wizard that after it finally broke in for me in 2007 was only for 45-50 feet out. I never should have gotten the g9i Wizard as it was not a good match for me, the disc was off for me later as I wanted a bead on a disc like the Wizard but hate how big the bead is on a Wizard as to how I grip that disc for Putting. Wizard is too overstable for a putter disc for a beginner as I could not putt with the speed or power to have the fade not be an issue. I should have kept using my Rubber Putter but the wind in South Dakota was too much for my putting and seeing a disc warp in flight while putting due to how hard I had to putt with a Rubber Putter was not fun.

Last edited:
I hate that Academy pulled Millennium discs from their lineup. They used to keep good quantities of Polaris and JLS, which are the best beginner drivers next to the Leopard.

Now it's just a bunch of Dynamic Discs **** that nobody should ever throw.

Which Dynamic Disc, Discs are they? As long as Academy Sports and other big box sports stores keep the junk Innova discs out a Groove they will have problems with former beginners who will be very upset if they have the grove they got used to get lost or broken in flight. I have never been in an Accadamy Sports but a Scheel's Sports is a similar store if it is like a Dicks Sports Academy. Scheel's had nothing for Innova but dumb discs choices either max weigh or as light as the discs were made in the plastics, using Blizzard and Starlight to get them that light and then the beginners packs and that was it in 2014, also same with most other brands that problem and then trying to sell the Park Sun Discs, the other brand like it and the last of the Wham-O touchline 3 pack. You never knew what weight with the Park Sun Discs you were going to get and the Wham-O brand they were just so soft like they were Frisbee's but without the glossy protective part that most of the basic Frisbee's had. I gave a max weight 175 gram Wham-O Putter to my mom last year as that is the good disc from the Touchline series, like a Classic Aviar but with the Rings of Wham-O on them. My brother got the 3 pack Touchline series Wham-O for winning his division as a junior in a tournament in 2007.

Last edited:
I'm super new and your advice is awesome buttttt ohhhh the pretty disc i want to buy as many as i can afford whenever i get a bit of extra money. Got about 21 right now in bag think i'll do what you said. Find 4 i really like and put the rest up till i'm ready for them. Or for practice days instead of course days.

I'm super new and your advice is awesome buttttt ohhhh the pretty disc i want to buy as many as i can afford whenever i get a bit of extra money. Got about 21 right now in bag think i'll do what you said. Find 4 i really like and put the rest up till i'm ready for them. Or for practice days instead of course days.

I was exactly the same when I first started. Luckily I had read most of the same advice that you have and also some excellent videos (one by Mike C. in particular) about disc choices for beginners. I STILL ended up eventually with about 150 discs (yes, I am a disc nerd), but limited my bag (for rounds) to four discs for quite a while.

Practice days also confirmed that the advice I had received was sound because my mids were only going about ten feet further than my putters and my drivers were only going about five feet further than my mids. In my first 3 1/2 to 4 years of play I limited my drivers to speed 6 or 7 and only added overstable mids gradually.

I am finally (after almost six years) adding some faster fairway drivers (like the DGA Undertow and Discmania PD) and slower, more understable distance drivers (like the Innova Tern) and it is working well for me.

Stick with something like that if it works for you and you'll be fine.

Oh, and if you were wondering, the first four discs that I started with were; Omega Super Soft for putting, Discraft Challenger for upshots, Discraft Buzzz for most drives and Millennium JLS as my first driver (but needed at least a slight head wind to help it fly correctly at my arm speed). My Chally got thrown the most with my Buzzz a close second (as it should be for a beginning player).

good advice curtis i have 2 or 3 sets that came as a set so i could stick to one of those sets but i feel i'm still trying to find my 3/4 discs to start with. Will prob do a leopard/shark/shield i didn't care much for the aviar i might be alone in that.

I still have two Leopards in the bag (fresh DX and beat Pro) that are indispensable on at least a hole or two every round.

I never threw an Aviar so I can't comment. Up until recently my approach discs were a DX Wedge and Star Classic Roc instead of putters because of their shallow rims (deep rims mess me up except for putting). However, I recently played the Trilogy challenge and after using the Westside Maiden for all of my approaches, the Maiden has kicked both of those discs out of my bag.

I do love westside i usually do factory 2nds to save money and have been looking at the maiden ...glad i'm not alone in the aviar maybe just me but seems everyone loves that disc when you read/hear/see about it.

The Maiden has the shallow profile I'm looking for and while a bit faster than some deeper putters it's a good compromise for me. I really have to be careful I don't throw it too far though.

Once it was solidly in my bag I had to go to E-bay to buy my backup disc, since being a Trilogy Challenge disc it is yet unreleased (not that I lose many approach discs, but hey! LOL).

good advice curtis i have 2 or 3 sets that came as a set so i could stick to one of those sets but i feel i'm still trying to find my 3/4 discs to start with. Will prob do a leopard/shark/shield i didn't care much for the aviar i might be alone in that.

You are not alone in the distastes for an Aviar of any kind or even the near clones from Discmania and Millennium Discs. Other non Innova factory brands similar disc I do not like either. I finally found the Magnet after messing around with two or molds that did not serve my needs for putting, and one that was fine for me but not good in wind above 20 mph or for power putting.

Only disc that is even close to an Aviar I could like is a much lower profile Aviar. A way lower Aviar is a disc like the XD or now, Colt the replacement disc. U-2 or Upshot #2 is also an XD like disc that I Use in Prostyle plastic. I can use a Rhyno but again it is too close to a Avair more so then a Colt/XD type disc.

Last edited:
You are not alone in the distastes for an Aviar of any kind or even the near clones from Discmania and Millennium Discs. Other non Innova factory brands similar disc I do not like either. I finally found the Magnet after messing around with two or molds that did not serve my needs for putting, and one that was fine for me but not good in wind above 20 mph or for power putting.

Only disc that is even close to an Aviar I could like is a much lower profile Aviar. A way lower Aviar is a disc like the XD or now, Colt the replacement disc. U-2 or Upshot #2 is also an XD like disc that I Use in Prostyle plastic. I can use a Rhyno but again it is too close to a Avair more so then a Colt/XD type disc.
i have been watching and hearing about magnets thinking about trying one out still just buying up cheap discs wherever i can throwing it at a catcher and seeing what sticks.

i have been watching and hearing about magnets thinking about trying one out still just buying up cheap discs wherever i can throwing it at a catcher and seeing what sticks.

Magnets can find cheep, players do not like the feel of a Magnet and similar discs. The Legacy Clutch has a stiff version of base plastic if you want a Stiff old regular Pro D Magent and DGA Titanic is a good disc very much like a slower slightly taller Magent. Magnet Comes in Pro D, Soft Pro D and Jawbreaker. DGA Titanic is in Proline and D a plastic that is nearly Pro D, I am not sure if other plastics are used for the Titanic.

Magnets can find cheep, players do not like the feel of a Magnet and similar discs. The Legacy Clutch has a stiff version of base plastic if you want a Stiff old regular Pro D Magent and DGA Titanic is a good disc very much like a slower slightly taller Magent. Magnet Comes in Pro D, Soft Pro D and Jawbreaker. DGA Titanic is in Proline and D a plastic that is nearly Pro D, I am not sure if other plastics are used for the Titanic.
oh thanks heard good stuff about jawbreaker and i'm still new might try this new place that sells used discs try out a few different ones

So I know this post is old but back in the ver first post he talks about how you should be able to throw putter about 250 and mids 300 is that max distance e or golf line distance

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bit of a necro-bump of the thread...
After trying a few different molds and pairings for a shot-shaping bags, here is the bag I've settled on.
Hopefully no heads will explode, since this is a bit different from the recommendations.
Putting - 2 ProD Ringers (Putting only)
Putters for throwing - 4 Cryztal Z Ringers
Mids - 4 DX Roc3's
Fairway Drivers - 4 Champ Cheetahs
Distance Drivers - 4 Ace Race Heat (Z)
Utilitiy - 4 Champ Firebirds

20 discs.
Having 4 of each disc allows me to try stuff and actually practice the same throw 4, 8 or even 12 times (depending on what the throw needs).
Questions?
Comments?
Observations?

So I know this post is old but back in the ver first post he talks about how you should be able to throw putter about 250 and mids 300 is that max distance e or golf line distance

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Golf distance, line-shaping distance, not max-distance distance.

Proline Titanic is no longer made.

Okay a tip for building a bag is that players need to have a Putter discs or disc that can be used for putting for when the winds get high whatever that disc may be, be it an OS midrange with Putter profile/shape or an OS putter. A disc like this is a must for bags and that same OS disc for windy putting often is the approach disc or one of the driving putters so even if the winds are never high where you live the disc has the other purpose.