• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to Build a Bag

I really liked the DX plastic of my new X-out Aviars. So I want to try out some DX fairways using this thread as a guide. If I'm consistently getting Buzzes and Fuses out to 275, which fairway should I start with? Gazelle, Cheetah, Teebird? I can throw Pro Wraiths about 330 and Envies 245-250 if that helps. I know I could maybe just use The Craves and/or Inspires I already have (and if they came in base plastic I probably would), but I like new plastic, and was wondering what DX fairway y'all recommend.

IMO fairways can be different discs in baseline after just a little bit of use vs slower blunt nosed mids/putters which don't change as easily from being seasoned up. The standard answer here is teebird/leopard but with your crave and inspire you basically have those 2 discs and they will retain the designed stability much loner than DX versions. I personally would put down the pro-wraith and work these 2 premium fairways out to that same distance.

Teebirds/craves/leopards/inspires all can fly 400' with enough power and technique while staying pretty true to their design across a lower power spectrum too which is why those kinds of molds are regularly suggested. Seasoned DX teebird and Leopard would actually pair well with a new crave and inspire.

Most any DX innova fairway should be easily available for cheap (specially used) and suggest just trying them all out to see how they differ from premium plastic ones and which feel/fly best for you!

IMO fairways can be different discs in baseline after just a little bit of use vs slower blunt nosed mids/putters which don't change as easily from being seasoned up. The standard answer here is teebird/leopard but with your crave and inspire you basically have those 2 discs and they will retain the designed stability much loner than DX versions. I personally would put down the pro-wraith and work these 2 premium fairways out to that same distance.

Teebirds/craves/leopards/inspires all can fly 400' with enough power and technique while staying pretty true to their design across a lower power spectrum too which is why those kinds of molds are regularly suggested. Seasoned DX teebird and Leopard would actually pair well with a new crave and inspire.

Most any DX innova fairway should be easily available for cheap (specially used) and suggest just trying them all out to see how they differ from premium plastic ones and which feel/fly best for you!

Good advice. My suggestion for DX fairways would be get a couple teebirds and couple leopards. season one of each while keeping the others closer to fresh. theres a nice set up. Or sub the TB for some Banshees

Thanks guys. I was leaning that way (continuing with crave/inspire and adding a Teebird/leopard). Just wondering if my power level suggested something slower. Another question: What weight would y'all recommend at my power level? Envy is 174 and mids are 177. I've never been able to settle on a driver weight.

no need for any heavier than 171-2g really. Even 150 class teebird/craves fly pretty stable but will be easier for you to get up to speed. Unless you play where its super windy a few grams below 170 can help add a little distance to some of your throws at ~300' of power while still flying the same as max weight runs.

With slower discs its more common to find heavier weights in peoples bags but fairways/D.drivers tend to range a lot more. Some players love to use 150 class discs while others stick to mostly max weight across the board or pair a max weight with lighter one etc.

Last edited:
I'm at your power level and I use a DX Cheetah. Still trying to decide if I should give the Gazelle a try or stick with the Cheetah. I do really enjoy it.

I'm at your power level and I use a DX Cheetah. Still trying to decide if I should give the Gazelle a try or stick with the Cheetah. I do really enjoy it.

I am throwing the same distances mostly and I am also trying out a bag like in this thread.

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread but I am throwing a dx eagle L as a fairway. Really good line shaper at my power level and just a touch longer than the other recommended discs like the cheetah and polaris ls.

Not sure that weight is really an issue on the slower fairways, at least not in basic plastic. For me at least I don't notice any difference until I go to champ plastic in the fairways.

After years of playing and finally getting around to browsing these forums I feel I've naturally narrowed my bag down to what was mentioned in this thread.

Putter - Star Rhyno 175g
Approach/utlity - Star Wedge 175g (favorite disc!)
Mid/overstable - Star Rancho Roc 175g
Fairway - 12x Champ Eagle L 170g
Control Driver - ESP XL 172g and EliteZ XL 173g
Distance Driver - Champ Valk 167g
Overstable Distance Driver - Star Destroyer 175g

Keeping these few discs in my bags has most certainly lowered my scores and has made me more comfortable throwing in any situation.

Garu,

Going back to your first few posts in this thread...what lines should I be able to hit with my Cheetah? People always talk about shaping lines but never really go into detail about what that means. Thanks.

Decided to take a stab at this mah self. Went out for a snowy freezing round today. Wasn't great, but was very eye opening...The firebird I picked up today, on the wings of losing my banshee. Never thrown anything this stable in my life. I pretty much max out with it about 200ft bh. Not great, but uber uber reliable thumbers, flick upshots, and hyzers. Might need to step down from the eagle to something a little more forgivable. Possibly my timberwolf or cyclone. We shall see though.

FAF Champ Firebird
DX Eagle X
KC Pro Roc (But can't decide if I would rather put my Z Buzzz back in)
Classic Soft Judge

Up top so newbies see this and know how to REALLY build a bag.

Past two years i searched discs. Today i put discs to my bag.

Putter
Dx xd 175g Long putter
Omega ss 175g Short putter
Approach
C-line P3 175g Long straight
P-pro Ryhno 175g Short straight or long hyzer or long anhyzer.

Mid range
Dx flat top Roc 180g straight and anhyzer
Xt Roc 180g straight and slow hyzer
Gstar Roc 172g straight and slow hyxer, ( forest fairway)

Fairway
Gstar Leopard 175g Flippy and straight short
Champion Leopard 175g Flippy and straight, more stable short
Champion teebird 168g Straight and hyzer short
Echo teebird 175g Hyzer and anhyzer short

Driver
Champion Thunderbird 166g and 168g Straight or hyzer long
Gstar Thunderbird 168g Straight and slow hyzer long ( forest fairway)
Star Destroyer 168g and 175g Long straight or long anhyzer
Gstar Destroyer 165g High fly.....long
Gstar Daedalus 168g and 175g Long flippy

Last edited:
Wish I would have known this stuff when I started. Right now the 'core' of my bag consists of:

X-Challenger
Buzzz
Teebird
Predator

I also carry a beat buzzz for straight with no fade or anhyzer lines. I have a beat teebird which is dead nuts straight and holds an anny but I carry a river for flex shots. New Champ teebird is great for 300' with predictable fade.

Please suggest

I really think using just a few specific discs will help my form immensely. Here is what I currently bag:

Blizzard Champ Teedevil 149g
Starlite Roadrunner 157g
Dx Valkrie 168g
Beat Dx Valkrie 166g
Slightly beat pro-D Eclipse 171g
Lucid Truth 164g
Arrow 166g
Soft Magnet 172g
Zero Medium Dagger 173g (feels like zero soft)

Suggestions from these discs is preferred, but I know I might need something different.

That is a great point, and also a really good argument for buying baseline plastic, which is, IMO, more important than which slightly overstable to neutral mid you pick. ;)

I found that I lost more discs after I learned to throw farther. It doesn't matter how inaccurate you are at 200', the discs just can't get that far away from you. It wasn't until I was at 320' or so before I really started to lose them.

I still lose disc, not because I throw farther, but because I cant throw 300' over a pond,,or I meathook one into the river!

Latest posts