• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to generate maximum skip?

brockkcorb

There is a line on a hole that is about 250' and steady uphill about 15' from tee to basket. I throw a hyzer to the right and have it skip on the road(ob) and have it usually settle to the right side of the basket. How can I generate a bigger+higher skip off the road?

Possible variables I can think of:
Disc
Wind
Hyzer angle at point of contact
Spin
Angle of contact( low shot or high shot)
Power

Wide rims skip better and I find more spin does as well. I would suggest a flatter shot but what do I know...

11x champ teebird and star starfire. Both 175. Should I try my katana? Getting extra height is key.

for all intents and purposes, skip is the opposite of roll. What i mean is:

when your disc is spinning clockwise -
if the front left edge of your disc contacts the ground first, the disc will skip and fade left.
If the front right edge contacts the ground first, it will tend to bite in and roll left.

So with this reasononing RHBH, overstable discs will tend to skip better, more reliably than understable.

Nose up on contact will usually rusult in a skid instead of a skip.

Last edited:
If the disc doesn't skip high enough it catches long grass and leaves a 20' ,uphill putt.

I always find firebirds skip real well. It is probably because of it being over stable.

My skip disc was the Champ Boss before I lost it/had it stolen. The blade thin edge compared with the wide rim and overstability gave it miles of skip. I've never tossed an Ape but I imagine it would have similar results if it flies its numbers (I've heard some say it doesn't).

Throw an overstable disc, and make sure it has a good amount of hyzer when it hits the road. More hyzer = bigger skip, less hyzer = longer skip

a low hyzer will produce a higher skip, moving left obviously
a straighter shot with a little hyzer will skip lower but farther...and less left

stable wide rimmed drivers do skip far
firebirds, whippets, drones, etc will skip higher, move more left, and land softer

Also I find Champion/Elite Z plastic to skip better than other plastics.

Skipping off of pavement is different than off grass or dirt. If you can get it to skip twice that would be best. The first will get you distance and the second will jump basket height or more as the disc slows down.

2/3's of my aces are intentional skip shots. Skip shots are sweet!

I use a sharpie and section off the part of the disc that I grip and designate it the same place that I grip every time. I then use a bottle of lubricant to lather the discs edge. Adds 10' to straight drives and makes a giant or 30' arch.

I use a sharpie and section off the part of the disc that I grip and designate it the same place that I grip every time. I then use a bottle of lubricant to lather the discs edge. Adds 10' to straight drives and makes a giant or 30' arch.

^Joke? Definitely not legal.

Flicks skip really well. Also nice and controllable at 250-350'. I've had some luck with a couple of Bosses, but zero luck getting other bosses to skip.

Play in winter after ice storms...

But seriously. Katana is not going to cut it. Neither are Fairway Drivers. I get a Drone to skip good...but it doesn't skip far. Overstable Driver - Boss, Destroyer, Force...etc. Thats where you want to be. Just carry that 1 disc for that hole...then leave it in your car at other courses.

Latest posts