• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to get a stuck disc out of a tree!

Shortly after I moved to Texas. I tried throwing my bag at a disc stuck in a Mesquite tree. That tree grabbed my bag with its three inch thorns. There was no getting it down with projectiles. I had to pay somebody to climb it. That's how I was introduced to Mesquite trees.

ouch%2521%2521.jpg

Honey locusts here have spikes to rival that. I put a disc on that, it's probably adios. No sense expending the work for a disc with a skewered flight plate. :p

I use a very stiff, contractor's tape measure. I can go 30-40 feet up without it bending.

Just noticed this post, that's genius. Now all you need is something to attach to the end for retrieving them from water.

I keep a yellow lacrosse ball in my bag for just such an occasion.
Works pretty well most of the time.

I just throw fallen logs at it. That way usually don't have to make direct contact with the disc. If the log is thrown good enough it will shake the limb its stuck on and dislodge it.

How much did they charge? My fees go up drastically when thorns come into play.

Fortunately for me, my companion was also new to Texas. He was halfway up the Mesquite before he realized what he had agreed to. I think the price was dinner, but in truth, I'm still paying.

Worst. Idea. EVER.

That tree just ate a disc. What makes you think it won't do it again?

:popcorn:

The other discs knew the risks when they signed up for a spot in my bag. They've bonded like the brothers they are and they've made a pact to leave no fellow soldier behind. We all go home or no one goes home.

The other discs knew the risks when they signed up for a spot in my bag. They've bonded like the brothers they are and they've made a pact to leave no fellow soldier behind. We all go home or no one goes home.

Lulz. Well played.

Step 1: Drill a hole through a baseball (softball would also work)
Step 2: get a 30' section of rope, run it through the hole in the ball, knot one end so it won't come back through the hole
Step 3: Throw the ball over the branch your disc is stuck in, being careful to keep the other end of the rope from going over as well
Step 4: Take both ends of the rope and shake
Step 5: (Eventually) pick your disc up off the ground
Step 6: ???
Step 7: Profit

Hockey Puck - 170g
Golf Ball - 46g
Baseball - 149g

I've had a baseball get stuck in a tree. Golf balls don't penetrate well.

I have about 10 cheap golf balls in my bag's pouch/pocket. Between the ten of them, I can usually dislodge a Disc before I have to pick them up and try again...and if I lose some, it's no big deal.

I keep a yellow lacrosse ball in my bag for just such an occasion.
Works pretty well most of the time.

^^ This. Lacrosse balls are money. They are heavier than baseballs but about the same size, smooth to prevent snagging, and they bounce which makes rethrows more fun. I always carry one with me.

After using rocks and sticks to try and dislodge a disc a few times prior with little success I decided to put a softball in the bag. Haven't had a chance yet to use it.

Latest posts