• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to get putter glide

Mrcpa

Bogey Member
Anyone have any good pointers on putter glide. For some reason I just can't figure it out and my putts like hyzer for days instead of going straight. I have the worse time with shots within 75 feet ish.

Thanks!

Well, I think I read on here that glide=understability, so maybe try a more understable putter.

Play catch with your putter. Forget about release and nose angles. Just bring it across your chest with follow though. 75ft is catch and throw distance. Find a partner that can handle a little speed. You just need to get in some reps. Relax into natural and do not think much.

Go from a putter glide =2 to one with glide =3.

Getting a putter to glide far is just like getting any disc to glide far. It's not power, it's snap. Go dig up video of upshots. You will see that all the good players pop the putter out with a wag of the wrist. That puts spin on it and gives good glide.

For me at least, 75ft isn't putting. It's probably going to be a stand still approach shot. Or..perhaps a 1 step and throw. Try the 1 step and throw method, that's fairly easy to get 75-100ft of distance. I don't know about you, but at 75ft of distance I'm not going in the basket, I'm trying to make it hit ground around 10-20ft on the right / front of the basket so the disc rolls left towards the basket. (rhbh)

at 75' out all the pros are spin putting to get the distance and the "glide". I have also noticed that they also give it just slightly nose up angle. just pretend that the basket is a small child that you are playing catch with and gently throw the disc to them(it). the nose up angle will help with glide, but also it will help your disc to "stall out" at the end of the flight, so if you can get the power correct your disc will always be right by the basket. oh yeah, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE............ AND MORE PRACTICE.

Technique is part of it. Possibly you need to commit to the throw instead. When that happens to me it is because I don't want it to go past too far. A good throw with determination helps. Get it to the basket. Disc choice could be an issue but most putters with a good spin fly pretty straight. If you can find it the Innova Aero has some great glide that floats straight. Oh yeah, practice

Try lofting it up a little more and let the putter glide down and stop by the basket.

Putters are slow, they do need a little more height to do their thing.

Just don't throw it too high, have to find a good balance.

Last edited:
I think spin is the biggest part to get a 75 footer to glide. You can probably find a "push putter" who can get it that far, but it really won't work unless there's enough spin on the disc. The putter is also a big part. I find my newer putters (I use McPro aviars) are way more overstable than ones I've broken in. Of course, the problem can be avoided by using a less overstable disc. I've been using a Pure, Reef, or Polecat for those longer shots.