• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to throw a Dx Roc3? Grip?

mrfig260

I resently purchased two Dx Roc3's and I can't seem to make them fly like my other mid range discs :confused:. Can throw Ti Buzzz and Truth 250ish straight and with a bit of fade toward the end. However, I don't seem to get the distance or height with the Dx Roc3?

Also, I recently began to throw mids and putters for the most part. Is it just me or is the grip different when driving with these discs? When I was throwing drivers my grip was firm. Since i began throwing mids from the tee box i have to lightly grip them. If I have a firm grip my disc turns over too much :mad:. Is this normal?

Power grip all day everyday for me on mids and even putters. Fan works well too for lots of players i use it on some upshots.

Firm grip is a MUST. You might just have poor alignment or release. Its a big bead style mold so subject to form issues much more vs a buzzz beadless style mid.

Read this:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

Last edited:
I resently purchased two Dx Roc3's and I can't seem to make them fly like my other mid range discs :confused:. Can throw Ti Buzzz and Truth 250ish straight and with a bit of fade toward the end. However, I don't seem to get the distance or height with the Dx Roc3?

Some people have issues getting good releases from Rocs due to the big bead on the bottom. Its a preference thing. I know a lot of people that can't throw rocs for that reason. I like it tho, feels comfortable to me. Keep practicing with them, if they never come around for you then the roc may just not be the right mid for you. There are plenty of other people who are like that.

Also, I recently began to throw mids and putters for the most part. Is it just me or is the grip different when driving with these discs? When I was throwing drivers my grip was firm. Since i began throwing mids from the tee box i have to lightly grip them. If I have a firm grip my disc turns over too much :mad:. Is this normal

No. You should be able to throw mids with 100% power without them cranking over.

What kind of a grip are you using for drivers and mids and putters? All the same? Learn some new grips. One of the variations of the "power grip" is usually your best bet for drivers, and some variation of a "fan grip" is usually your best bet for putters and mids. There are a few people who are successful using all power grips or all fan grips for everything, but most people have a few different grips they use based on the type of disc they are throwing

I throw drivers and mids with power grip. Putters usually modified power grip with index on the rim. However, Ive noticed when driving with mids especially, my grip isn't as firm or tight (power grip). I will check out the link posted.

You need that tight pinch point to get a clean rip. Dont pull the disc into your palm with finger tips giving multiple release points. Pinch the flight plate and leverage the disc weight.

"Throw it Trebek! Throw it hard, and throw it long."

Quote has been slightly paraphrased ;)

You need that tight pinch point to get a clean rip. Dont pull the disc into your palm with finger tips giving multiple release points. Pinch the flight plate and leverage the disc weight.

That's interesting. I've haven't gotten that advice yet. Currently my power grip is all four finger pads on the inside of the rim, pulling the rim into the crease of my palm, with my thumb on top of the rim. Would you say yours is the same with the exception of pulling the disc into your palm?

Yep. If you can handle the disc without thumb pressure something is off. The thumb and a single finger (index or middle given preference) are the rip point. Easier to get the nose down too with thumb pressure being the grip point vs pulling into the palm.

Think of the hit like pulling a trigger between thumb and finger. Grip stays loose into the hit and BAM!

Last edited:
Yep. If you can handle the disc without thumb pressure something is off. The thumb and a single finger (index or middle given preference) are the rip point. Easier to get the nose down too with thumb pressure being the grip point vs pulling into the palm.

Think of the hit like pulling a trigger between thumb and finger. Grip stays loose into the hit and BAM!
I started fooling around with this the other day and I have noticed that my mids and even my champion valk are turning over to the point of becoming rollers when i do it. I'm really frustrated because I can feel the extra rip that I didn't have when I pulled my disc into the crease of my palm, but I am not getting distance. I guess I must just be screwing up the angle of release. Any advice?

Just to correct a little bit...

Your thumb and index finger create what is called the "pivot point."
Your other fingers contacting the rim/flight plate are know as your "rip points."

I agree that you should not death grip with your other contacting fingers. If anything, you want a loose grip on your approach, and then your grip is supposed to tighten through your "hit zone" across your chest.

When the contacting rip points break free, it forces into your pivot point, which creates the disc's spin.

For the record, I dislike beaded discs for the same reason you described in the OP. They are uncomfortable for my hand, and I get more consistent releases with discs like the Buzzz - as you stated.

Latest posts