• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hucker Magazine Complaint Thread

discgman

Birdie Member
What happened to Hucker magazine?

Just saw a big FB tirade on it from DG Guy. Sounds like lots of people paid for a year subscription for one magazine.

And go.....

:popcorn:

The first issue was well done. Sounds like they vastly underestimated the cost of publication. I've heard they're looking into e-issues but who knows where that'll go. Yet another failed DG experiment.

Yet another reality check in the actual state of our game versus what people want to fantasize it being. You'd think after FDM previously flopped in a similarly spectacular fashion, they'd have learned.

Poor business decisions are not specific to our game. That happens on a daily basis all over this beautiful world of ours

Poor business decisions are not specific to our game. That happens on a daily basis all over this beautiful world of ours

This. Starting a print magazine on any subject much less a niche sport like disc golf is pretty much DOA. Should have did an e-mag and then collected a lot of the material, techniques and really nice photography for a year end print book.

It looked pretty on the internet. Never saw a copy. I like the old days of a newspaper with good articles and box scores.

They suffered the fate that many people said they would when this project was first announced.

Pretty tough to run a business on 'passion' when there are bills to pay and high-quality glossy pages to print.

Sucks for those that paid up front... but I'm not exactly sure how sorry I can feel for people throwing money at such foolhardy endeavors.

lol they probably took the money and bought some weed then were too lazy to make a second issue, typical disc golfers, unfortunately. :popcorn:

First Chains, now this?

I guess Disc Golf isnt ready for the big time.
No, no, no...we are on the verge of a HUGE mainstream breakout. I've been hearing about it for 20 years, so we must be REALLY close by now.

Right? :eek:

You people take a laptop or phone to the bathroom?? Print medium is the backbone of the morning constutional education. :doh:
If not for the crapper, I might not have made it through high school or college... that's where I did all my reading.

I got $10 for a single issue if someone wants to part with a copy, I can help you get some money back.

People who subscribed sorry you got burnt but you should not have taken the gamble on a sub with out the thought of this might not make it in the back of your mind.

Print is a excellent medium for communication even in the modern world. I remember a time where a magazine that came out once a month was YOUR window into what ever it was that you were passionate about. The younger generation has missed out on going to the mailbox and the new issue is inside waiting to be caressed, fondled and flipped thru right at the curb. Sure the content was three months old but it was as current as you could get without being there. I still remember when I saw the issue of Go! with Mat Hoffman doing the first backflip to fakie on a vert ramp in England!

Magazines are easy to hold, flip, and actually use/read. No internet needed, just open a page and read. Open a page and study the photos, it is there instantly with no loading time needed. Print just feels right.

Putting out a periodical is hard work and generally done for the love of the medium. Magazines are such an expressive and creative outlet for people and I do appreciate success and failures of past magazines I enjoyed over the years. I have even done two local 'Zines with a little success in my hometown.

I will also admit I have a good sized magazine collection mostly BMX rags from days gone by. I have every issue of Freestylin' Magazine including when the name changed to Go! I have every issue of Snap BMX, and every issue of Ride BMX from the free issue #1 to up the 150's ( I think ). I have the last 25 years worth of Mountain Bike Action as well. I also have the hardbound "last" effort/anniversary of Freestylin' in the original box. Few of these were made and at one point people were paying $500.00 for a copy and yes, I kept mine!

Last edited:
When I think of all the fanzines I read in the 80's and early 90's it makes me kinda miss that connection to the things I was into. You had to know where to go and get those things; it was part of the social network that you were plugged into and you learned things from reading them that Joe Schmo poser couldn't know. I always loved getting the new issue and digging in.

Now Joe Schmo poser can just google it. :\

Latest posts