• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hucker Magazine Complaint Thread

Yeah. I understand that.

Its still fishy.

He claims that not a single company wanted to advertise.

Which we now know isnt true.

We also know that people who worked on, and helped design the thing were never compensated.

So you can take away part of that start up cost of paying designers at the very least.

Its a lot cheaper to make anything when you dont pay the people who are actually working on it.

According to the figures given, the mag would've had a to come out of pocket just to get the the things printed. There was no money to compensate with.

I knew that there wouldn't be a second issue when I, as an associate editor and writer, got an email saying "I will get back to in two weeks with some new article ideas"

I don't want to see UBs name dragged through the mud for trying to do something he felt was right. He got caught up by a scam artist (at worst) or someone with no idea about publishing (at best). Sounds to me like UB got screwed just as much as Salient and more than I.

So, who is this alleged "scam artist"?
People on this thread are dodgeing and weaving around the people who are responsible for this folly. It would be nice to know WHO are they?

I believe the owner/publisher was named way back in this thread, though it's not important enough to me to dig back through.

His name is Phillip Murray.

"Hucker Magazine: There are two of us, Michael Brouphy and Phillip Murray. I believe the reason you are asking how we will be able to remain neutral is because of Michael being the owner of UB Disc Golf. This was an early discussion when starting this project, and Michael chose his own position at Hucker as Creative Director. The reason he chose this position is so that he would have no control or input regarding the content going into the magazine. Even without this safeguard on the content, both of our intentions with this magazine are to better disc golf as a whole, not to better our own personal interests. I think after the first issue it will be clear that we are taking a look at every section of the game and not choosing sides, and we believe that people will truly be happy with the product we are delivering."

Quoted from - http://allthingsdiscgolf.com/hucker-magazine-disc-golf/

A little info, not sure if there is better info out there.

Huckersmagazine.com is registered to a Phillip Murray from Louisiana.
Phillip Murray is on UB Disc Golf's team.

Meulen, you sir are on to something.

So this is the person that is behind all this?
Does he have an account here?
It would be nice to have him here to spill the beans on whats going on with this.
I know from other posts that there are UB Disc Golf members on here that have posted on this thread. Maybe they could get this person to come on here.

The DG Guy is gonna do a video interview with the owner soon, resulting from DG Guy #bringingup #theissue #lolgetit #issuesingular #cuzlol

... hard-hitting detective work here, asking if anyone can repost facts stated earlier in the thread :)

Last edited:
Phillip Murray was the one I was always in contact with. He is the publisher. And yes, he is a scam artist, ripping off not only the subscribers but even the people who worked so hard to bring HIS vision to life.

Now if the issue (pardon the pun) is the legality of what he did...well, who knows? There would have to be proof that he did this on purpose rather than just being totally irresponsible with money. Being a crappy business manager isn't a crime.

As Michael from UB has said, there's no way Murray can ever make amends. So going after him is pointless. But even a simple apology would be nice, rather than disappearing off the face of the Earth.

Maybe, after perusing the offerings of the contributing writers, he decided rather than subject the disc golf public to more of that drivel, he'd rather just shut it down and disappear.

AndyJB said:
As Michael from UB has said, there's no way Murray can ever make amends. So going after him is pointless.

But how and why does Michael know this, though? I thought Brouphy hasn't had anything to do with him. Why would he know that Murray "can never make amends"? Why can't we at least hear that from Murray?

But how and why does Michael know this, though? I thought Brouphy hasn't had anything to do with him. Why would he know that Murray "can never make amends"? Why can't we at least hear that from Murray?

Michael posted about the costs earlier in this thread. He also stated that Phillip Murray went deep out of pocket to make the first issue happen. In my case, he offered merchandise in lieu of money which I was eager to take for my writing/editing duties. I never got it, of course, but I was also aware that money would be an issue at first.

I just didn't know how bad it would be. I also wish that Phillip Murray would step up and explain himself on some forum/platform but I can nearly guarantee that he will not.

So 300 subscriptions is what was quoted as being paid for...@$15-$20 per plus $1000 and $250 from other members of this board = $5750 on the low end for a magazine that costs $8000 to make for 1000 copies. Not to mention the discs donated by salient and gateway for Phillip to sell on his website. Looks like he wouldn't have had to go too deep in his pockets.

Where did the 1000 copies end up going if only 300 subscribers got copies (which I know many didn't receive based off the comments I see on facebook)?

That's the question right there, kilgus. Some people recieved their shirts/hoodies. That means there was a run of them. If 1000 copies of the magazine were indeed made (it was posted somewhere in this thread that 1000 was the number required to get some discount on printing costs) then is Murray just sitting on boxes of magazines, shirts, towels and hoodies? I haven't seen them for sale anywhere so I guess they are just gathering dust in his basement or something.

Latest posts