• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

hypothetical scenario... what do you do?

krooster

Birdie Member
You're at a tournament, and faced with a long tunnel shot through the woods. Narrow fairway, but not ridiculously narrow so there is room for some small amount of lateral movement. It's long enough where you're not even thinking about carding a 2, you know that best case scenario even with a distance driver you're going to be left with an approach shot as the second shot, so the goal is securing a 3. The dense trees and foliage make going off the fairway a disaster that could easily turn into taking a 5 (or worse).

Do you throw a fairway driver with a flat release (or maybe hyzer-flip), or do you hyzer-flip an understable distance driver which would slightly decrease the length of your approach shot?

Why?

Id probably hyzerflip a midrange straight. 2 solid 250' shots should get you anywhere you need for a 3 IMO.

Is throw two controlled shots. Some slow driver or mid to give myself a shot to get close with my buzz that I can throw around 200 pretty straight. Whenever I go for ripping tunnel shots I get myself into trouble.

I am throwing my buzzz to a safe landing zone and going from there. No question. Play it safe. Cause you know that there will be a few players that try to get more distance and all they will do is get further into the rough.

I would initially think to myself that I was going to throw a nice safe midrange shot as best I could down the middle and play for a long three. Then I would watch the other three guys on my card park 350' lasers right up the gut, panic, switch to a distance driver, and promptly griplock it into the first tree off the tee for a 7.

I would initially think to myself that I was going to throw a nice safe midrange shot as best I could down the middle and play for a long three. Then I would watch the other three guys on my card park 350' lasers right up the gut, panic, switch to a distance driver, and promptly griplock it into the first tree off the tee for a 7.

:clap: :p

Funny and sadly true too often for me.

It depends on actual distance. I probably throw my FD down the gut and hope for the best. No guarantee that two "safe" shots end up safe...

Yeah... probably this. :p

Definitely a midrange shot. I'd go Axis, with a small hyzer angle so it flips up and rides flat. Or throw it flat, depending on the distance needed.

80% power on a Lucid Truth, then depending on the distance either Truth again or Fuzion Judge then clean up with a wizard.

I love tunnel shots. When I'm in the woods I'm usually throwing an ESP Impact or a QMS.

you know that best case scenario even with a distance driver you're going to be left with an approach shot as the second shot, so the goal is securing a 3. The dense trees and foliage make going off the fairway a disaster that could easily turn into taking a 5 (or worse).

Do you throw a fairway driver with a flat release (or maybe hyzer-flip), or do you hyzer-flip an understable distance driver which would slightly decrease the length of your approach shot?

Based on my tournament play today, it doesn't matter. I'm going off the fairway and taking a 5 (or worse).
:wall:

Latest posts