• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer Flip Advice Needed

Geer_Boggles

Par Member
So I threw my first successful hyzer flip last weekend with my Eco-Leopard which also happened to be my furthest flat land throw at 315'. Since I did that, I haven't been able to replicate it and I'm going out tonight for another round to practice it.

I know that I bent my body forward considerably to force myself into a hyzer throw and only included a slightly high release resulting in a relatively straight line. It felt almost like I was bending too much as the force from my throw is the only thing that gave me enough momentum to stand back up into my brace. I have had trouble throwing hyzer without bending considerably at the waist.

I unfortunately don't have a way to record my throws currently or I would post a video but my question is if this is either the proper form for a hyzer flip/hyzer in general (to be bent considerably at the waist) or is there a way for me to obtain that hyzer angle without looking like I'm picking up a penny?

Also, any tips on consistency for this type of shot is much appreciated.

thanks!

There are a few folks on here that will give you far superior advice, but since I'm first I'll give you this. If you are talking about a regular hyzer flip in the open, then you should not have to bend like you are describing. What your describing is what someone would do if they were trying to throw a big spike over an obstacle or something like that.

My guess is the bend is forcing you to keep the disc on a hyzer all the way through your release because you are having issues what I have heard Nate Sexton describe it as "angle integrity". In my experience folks who are having trouble with a hyzer flip - in that the disc is turning over to much, is because they are not actually keeping the hyzer angle all the way through the release. They think they are, but it can be hard at first to to fully commit to a hyzer release. There is a last second angle change you may not even be conscious of. You see this with beginners that have a lot of natural power and arm speed and they say stuff like "this disc is too understable" when in reality they are just turning over the wrist in the very last moment of their throw.

You should be able to execute a hyzer flip on a pretty similar body plane compared to other shots if your using the right disc, and it sounds like you are. I suggest going back to the field and focusing very hard on making sure the disc is staying hyzer all the way through your release - just over exaggerate at first, then figure out the right angle and keep practicing.

It's funny cause I was playing with a recreational player who just picked up a Leopard and was telling me it just kept flipping no matter how much hyzer he was putting on it. I watched him turn it over a few times and all it took was me telling him he was not actually releasing it on hyzer and after he started focusing on keeping that angle all the way through the release he was throwing great shots that were flipping to flat and gliding like Leopard's love to do.

There are a few folks on here that will give you far superior advice, but since I'm first I'll give you this. If you are talking about a regular hyzer flip in the open, then you should not have to bend like you are describing. What your describing is what someone would do if they were trying to throw a big spike over an obstacle or something like that.

My guess is the bend is forcing you to keep the disc on a hyzer all the way through your release because you are having issues what I have heard Nate Sexton describe it as "angle integrity". In my experience folks who are having trouble with a hyzer flip - in that the disc is turning over to much, is because they are not actually keeping the hyzer angle all the way through the release. They think they are, but it can be hard at first to to fully commit to a hyzer release. There is a last second angle change you may not even be conscious of. You see this with beginners that have a lot of natural power and arm speed and they say stuff like "this disc is too understable" when in reality they are just turning over the wrist in the very last moment of their throw.

You should be able to execute a hyzer flip on a pretty similar body plane compared to other shots if your using the right disc, and it sounds like you are. I suggest going back to the field and focusing very hard on making sure the disc is staying hyzer all the way through your release - just over exaggerate at first, then figure out the right angle and keep practicing.

It's funny cause I was playing with a recreational player who just picked up a Leopard and was telling me it just kept flipping no matter how much hyzer he was putting on it. I watched him turn it over a few times and all it took was me telling him he was not actually releasing it on hyzer and after he started focusing on keeping that angle all the way through the release he was throwing great shots that were flipping to flat and gliding like Leopard's love to do.

That is exactly what most of my shots with the leopard have been. I intend to throw hyzer yet the disk always leaves my hand flat or on a slight anhyzer angle and whips anny and holds that angle with zero fade. When those shots occur, I am standing nearly identically to how I would throw a straight shot, except maybe angling my wrist down for the angle.

Obviously I need to change something about it and you mentioned about over-exaggerating my hyzer throws. Should I focus on my wrist angle, should I angle my wrist at all? Should I simply lower my arm so the disc naturally sits on a hyzer angle or should I actually bend a little bit?

I will definitely practice all of those things tonight but I guess I'm looking for a feeling that I can strive for. I watch videos on people throwing hyzer flips but I learn better by actually feeling the throw, if that makes any sense. Maybe I will continue with my extreme bend at first and then little by little try to reel it back in again to start standing straighter while still maintaining that angle.

Anyway, I really appreciate your feedback

Last edited:
Probably the best thing to do is work your way to hyzer from flat shots. If you can throw a flat shot in balance, then immediately after try to add like 2-5 degrees of hyzer. Just by bending at the waist toward your toes or left side of the teepad for RHBH. Your upper body should all be the same relative to your spine...don't change your arm or wrist or anything. Just bend over a bit so that the opposite side of the disc at the hit point is dipped slightly.

Really I would just practice going from flat shots to varying degrees of hyzer with all of your discs. There is no difference in execution/body mechanics between a pure hyzer and a hyzer flip, it's all disc choice. If you can get a straight putter to hold a mild hyzer with clean form, a Leopard may turn to a hyzer flip with the same shot even though that sounds kind of weird.

Also make sure you are throwing nose down with your grip orientation, but if you hyzer flipped a Leopard to 315' I suspect you have nose down grip. Especially if the disc drifts right past flat then it is nose down.

That's awesome advice, thanks! I'm gonna play tonight's round with 3 or 4 discs per hole. That's what I've been doing but the leopard and the panther I just recently picked up seem to be discs I can control much better than anything faster.

Probably the best thing to do is work your way to hyzer from flat shots. If you can throw a flat shot in balance, then immediately after try to add like 2-5 degrees of hyzer. Just by bending at the waist toward your toes or left side of the teepad for RHBH. Your upper body should all be the same relative to your spine...don't change your arm or wrist or anything. Just bend over a bit so that the opposite side of the disc at the hit point is dipped slightly.

Really I would just practice going from flat shots to varying degrees of hyzer with all of your discs. There is no difference in execution/body mechanics between a pure hyzer and a hyzer flip, it's all disc choice. If you can get a straight putter to hold a mild hyzer with clean form, a Leopard may turn to a hyzer flip with the same shot even though that sounds kind of weird.

Also make sure you are throwing nose down with your grip orientation, but if you hyzer flipped a Leopard to 315' I suspect you have nose down grip. Especially if the disc drifts right past flat then it is nose down.

This advice helped immensely. I was able to throw my furthest throw to date and hyzer flipped a Neutron Wave to 340'. I was getting relatively consistent results with hyzer flipping my leopard to 300'-315'. It was even starting to turn over a bit so I had to adjust to a steeper hyzer angle.

I noticed through many of my throws I was still forcing my wrist to make the hyzer angle and was releasing straight so I have to work on keeping my wrist level and simply bending slightly for the right angle.

Thanks again!:clap:

Nate Sexton describes it as imagining a hula hoop around your body - there is no adjustment on wrist or arm or anything. To hyzer, lean forward and make sure your follow through continues on the same plane.

What disks do people recommend for hyzer-flips? I noticed in the replies that the disk itself matters and have noticed that myself. I have one disk that reliably hyzer-flips: a light-weight (143 gm) DX Wraith. Even brand new it wanted to turn over right away and now that it's well broken in it's almost too easy. I got a heavier used DX Wraith (168 gm) for comparison but it doesn't want to turn over, just stays hyzer. Maybe I'm not throwing it fast enough? Then I got another light-weight Wraith (148 gm) in Blizzard Champion, but it doesn't want to flip either, probably because of the more over-stable plastic. So I'm wondering how much difference weight, plastic, wear and model make. Some people here mentioned the Leopard as a good choice. I have one of those (172 gram DX) that I'll experiment with but when I've thrown it before it mostly just stays on whatever angle it starts on and doesn't flip.

What disks do people recommend for hyzer-flips? I noticed in the replies that the disk itself matters and have noticed that myself. I have one disk that reliably hyzer-flips: a light-weight (143 gm) DX Wraith. Even brand new it wanted to turn over right away and now that it's well broken in it's almost too easy. I got a heavier used DX Wraith (168 gm) for comparison but it doesn't want to turn over, just stays hyzer. Maybe I'm not throwing it fast enough? Then I got another light-weight Wraith (148 gm) in Blizzard Champion, but it doesn't want to flip either, probably because of the more over-stable plastic. So I'm wondering how much difference weight, plastic, wear and model make. Some people here mentioned the Leopard as a good choice. I have one of those (172 gram DX) that I'll experiment with but when I've thrown it before it mostly just stays on whatever angle it starts on and doesn't flip.

Light DX Wraiths are extremely touchy. Blizzard discs can be very inconsistent, some will be straight, some overstable like their normal weight counterparts, and some surprisingly understable. Also faster discs have more fade at the end, so they aren't the best for turnovers...they will want to fade out to an extent. That's why a Leo is a good starting point since it is a lower speed/smaller rim and will just hold that gliding line for longer.

Keep throwing that DX Leo. DX breaks in quickly so you're better off having it be "too straight" and holding lines well, and after a bit of wear it will start drifting right for you. If you buy a DX disc that turns when new, it will get very uncontrollable soon.

Once you get to the point of being able to turn the DX Leo reliably the next step up would be something like a Gstar Leo, but I suspect that it will be more stable and wear in slower. So you don't need to step up to that until the DX Leo is too understable and untrustworthy.

Wave, Inertia, Tern, any understable disc really. Any putter for shorter shots. For me it's all about the release angle and the snap.

Last edited:

Arm and disc both matter. DX Leo is a good start but a lot of people will find it too touchy. A Pro Leopard becomes an awesome hyzer flipper after a few rounds. Neutron Relay is solid hyzer flip material.

I find there to be a difference between hyzer flip discs and flippy discs. DX Wraiths and DX Beasts are readily available in ponds and forests worldwide, but they are often in that flippily useless category, in my opinion. Learn to throw that DX Leopard since you have it, but realize it may not be a disc to throw 100%. Learn to throw it smooth and I guess that's a good hyzer flip disc. There are so many good ones out there. When you start working good golf lines is when you find discs that hyzer flip either to slight hyzer, slight turnover, or to straight. I really like a Z Undertaker, Z Buzzz, Champ Tern, Star Beast, Pro Leopard or Champ Leopard3, and that Neutron Relay. Lots of options out there.

You've done it once, so you hopefully have a picture in your mind of what it looks like, how the disc flew, and how it felt when you threw that shot. Now what you have to do is go out to the field and visualize that flight and remember the feeling. Nose down is important, throwing out from your body (not up in the air, not low, just straight out), and DONt try to crush it. Smooth throw yields smooth results, and a good hyzerflip should be very smooth. Bend at the waist just a little, and throw that same disc out there. It might take several throws to start getting it, and may take several trips to the field to get it consistently. But you will get it, you already did it once, just have to do it again.

As to discs, pro Leo around 165-170g is the best I have found to hyzerflip on a variety of lines. Flip to turn/flat/straight/ and even a flip up hyzer all work well with a pro Leo. Really any disc that moves right, not flips to the right, when thrown flat should work. The absolute most fun hyzer flip disc I personally have is a beat to what most people would say is unusable DX aviar. It's so worn it's a totally different disc. Sean 1 reborn hyzerflips great as well.

Throw it like a regular 175 ultimate disc. 45 degree angle and hard as possible is how at 53 I get near 370'. 152g shryke

Most of my experience has been with Frisbees, going back to the late 70's, so this makes perfect sense to me, thanks! I'll keep an eye out for a Shryke like that, at 59 I think I can handle it.

Most of my experience has been with Frisbees, going back to the late 70's, so this makes perfect sense to me, thanks! I'll keep an eye out for a Shryke like that, at 59 I think I can handle it.

I have not thrown a lightweight Shryke, but if you're not able to hyzer flip a DX Leo then I would not be looking to something like a Shryke. I don't doubt when thrown 370' as stated it has that flight path...but I'm not sure if you have the power/form to currently throw 350+?

...Really any disc that moves right, not flips to the right, when thrown flat should work...

...DX Wraiths and DX Beasts are readily available in ponds and forests worldwide, but they are often in that flippily useless category, in my opinion...

Yes, I think that's the thing with the light DX Wraith I've been throwing, and why it went zooming out of control last week over a fence where it's irretrievable (hoping to get it back eventually). It's definitely very flippy and hard to control, especially with any kind of wind. It does beautiful things when thrown just right but I feel I've been somewhat spoiled by this freak of nature. Time to learn a more consistent hyzerflip with better disks.

Thanks a lot for the info everyone, plenty of sound advice to work with. Feel free to add more.

I have not thrown a lightweight Shryke, but if you're not able to hyzer flip a DX Leo then I would not be looking to something like a Shryke. I don't doubt when thrown 370' as stated it has that flight path...but I'm not sure if you have the power/form to currently throw 350+?

Lol, no, I don't throw that far. I'll work with my DX Leo and see how it goes.

Latest posts