• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

hyzer flip for d

Buy my snap outgrew the disc, and I had to throw it so hyzer that I felt it was messing up my form for my other throws.

Maybe I was already throwing too hard by the time I picked the Mamba up but the only way I can get snap with the hyzer it needed to avoid flipping was to get it 40'-50' off the ground and it's a rare need for me to go over and to the right so I took it out of the bag.

Now-a-days I try and avoid any disc that can be overpowered into flipping. I would rather just know the turn at max power (plus/minus 10% for that speed) with a slight hyzer release angle (flex and uphill/over shots excluded) and allow for uniformity with my form.

^its also why you will find a lot of players prefer to use a beat-in stable disc for those lines vs a turning disc fresh off the shelf.

I see the Mamba for what it is, an insanely flippy disc. I love it and use its stability to my advantage. I use it for long range rollers and awkward position shots. it doesn't come out very often but when it does I know it will do the janky line. The Mamba isn't a bad disc. It's actually one of the best flippy discs I've ever thrown.

back to hyzer flipping. the hyzer is a more powerful shot than a flat or anhyzer shot. the only thing more powerful is a straight up torqued over shot. but the hyzer has more control and consistency. so you take a weak arm and a flippy as all get out disc like the Mamba and add more power and control and you get more distance.

back to hyzer flipping. the hyzer is a more powerful shot than a flat or anhyzer shot.

im not sure its so cut and dry. While Avery and others might use that technique like I posted above there also is this concept which I believe true and also had the most D out of any shot just much less consistently.

DC Pro:
Jon's comments--
I prefer the distance anhyzer because it allows for faster rotation of the body and a stronger pull. Throwing hyzer requires a slight lean forward with the upper body, which widens the rotational axis. This slows you down and decreases your power and strength.

the hyzer is a more powerful shot than a flat or anhyzer shot.

That what I have always felt as I feel that I get similar distances with sweeping hyzers and straight shots. But in hyzer flipping case I notice that I can flip some discs flat and turn them over by hyzer flipping but if I release them flat the don't turn that much. I guess it could be that I get more power with hyzer but I'm willing to bet that it is OAT caused by accidental flat follow through.:|

Jouni- IMO the easiest way to tell if you are throwing a pure hyzer flip vs a wrist roll to flat hyzer is noticing when the disc flips up and rides out. A steep hyzer flip without any oat generally turns over later in the flight and flies very straight/stable compared to a flat throw with the same disc.

So basically it should be the other way around, where when thrown flat your longest hyzer flip disc will track a little right and not fade much but with a hyzer flip it goes straight possibly late right turn and no fade or even some fade depending on the disc/conditions.

^its also why you will find a lot of players prefer to use a beat-in stable disc for those lines vs a turning disc fresh off the shelf.

Yea, about a year ago the 1st run, 140-150g bliz Wraiths were so wonderfully stable for me, I had beat one in for the hyzer flip and picked up a 2nd new one, as stable as the 1st.

I, being so smart, stocked up on them at near stock prices since OOP can get both hard to find and expensive. Now I'm up in the mid-to-low 160's for the same stability and my dozen bliz Wraiths have more turn than I 'remember' them having lol

Not that I'm complaining about improvment but damn... did I really need to get 12?

For those that hyzer flip for d, does it work every time for you? I like to do it and it does give A LOT more distance but it seems tough to get the angle just right each time. Obviously, you have to have the right disc so I am going to try some others. I used do it with a beat DX Valk but lost that disc. Now I do it with a Vulcan but I am thinking it is too understable and that's why it is difficult to hit it just right. Thinking of trying Fury or Underworld.

The Vulcan is very fast, so it's not going to be as easy to get it above it's cruising speed. I hyzer-flip Leopards with pretty good success. I don't generally flip faster discs. Flex shots are more reliable, imo, because you're putting them on an angle, not relying on speed to create the angle.

Speed can change with a gust of wind.

TY Dan. I should have thought of that. Makes sense why it was easier to flip the Valk. Think I will try a Leo.

For those that Hyzer flip often, do you have a lower release than you would with a flat throw because the hyzer flip rises more?

Latest posts