• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer Flip

drock2k1

Bogey Member
So, I have a few understable discs that I throw that any time I get decent distance (290-320) they go so far right, the drive is useless. I have decided to work on my hyzer flip technique but have yet to find any place that explains it in plain English. Anyone care to try? In particular, at what angle are you releasing the disc? Is you hand headed down or in more of a raising motion?

I saved the following to a text file some time ago and I forgot where I got it from.

Hyzer Flip – The Hyzer Flip is very similar to an S-shot but follows a straighter line. An understable disc is thrown very fast with a hyzer angle of release. The disc will naturally turn or "flip" and bring its nose down in the process. This allows for a long straight glide.

I think that the hyzer flip description above is from the Innova website. They have a pretty extensive list of definitions that can be found in their faq section. It's helped me out a lot.

As far as the hyzer flip for me (RHBH)... I just release the disc with a hyzer angle of release and the disc takes care of the rest. For example.... a Valkyrie will do the hyzer flip really well for me but I can't get a Wraith to flip yet. So even though I release the Valkyrie with a hyzer angle, the natural understability of the disc forces it to turn to the right anyway before fading back left at the end. Thus the "flip" in hyzer flip.

It took me a while to be able to flip the Valkyrie and I first noticed "flipping" with a Sidewinder. Of course, a more stable disc won't flip as easily. And stronger arms and people with better technique than I have can probably get much more stable discs to flip than I can.

Just some thought. Hope it helps.

Depending on the stability of the disc, and the release angle, the disc may flip up flat, or actually flip up and turn over. For me, getting the disc to flip isn't a problem, get the correct release angle for the disc to flip flat or flip over has been the challenge. Great shot though, worth putting the effort into learning this one.

Best thing to do is go out to a field and try it for yourself. Depending of the understability of the disc I throw my Monarch at about 7:30 to 8:00.

Be wary if you decide to use a hyzer flip in a windy situation. Flipping is a delicate art and the wind will magnify the slightest mistake.

I have tried this with my Valk. and it works alright, but I don't think that I get anymore distance from it than just a regular RHBH throw. I would like to try it with some other discs though, what are some of the other understable drivers people use?

Watch some higher level players sometime and see how often they start their throws on a hyzer.

I'll throw hyzer flips with just about any mold I carry. It's most often with beat Wizards, Rocs, Gazelles and Teebirds. My X Avenger is getting so it will flip nicely, too.

I just got some R-Pro Boss' 140g, 150g, and 161g. They hyzer flip really well. The 140 is tough to get used to yet so the others I have been able to make flatten out and they glide farther that anything I 've got. I throw a line drive and turn my wrist so the disc is on a hyzer release angle. 7:30 to 8:00 seems right like ZENBOT said. You have to know the disc and what angle you need to get it to flatten out. I think that my release point is around my waist line, rather than higher up the chest for an anhyzer release. It is closer to my body and I think I can throw it a little harder. Maybe this allows for more disc speed and glide. Don't tinker with too many things, just wrist angle and release height. Monarchs and Sidewinders are great gliders that need a hyzer release too.

Thanks guys. I went out yesterday and worked on an S-Curver and Hyzer Flip. I had more success with the S-Curve. I was able to throw my 150 Leopard (I know not the ideal disc for this) and got some great distance with an S-Curve but for the life of me could not flip it. I'm sure that my release isn't right but after seeing the results of a curve and flip, I will keep working on them until I get them down. Hopefully, I'll still be playing frequently as I may have mono which will require me to spend less time playing and more time posting :(

Glad to hear that you're figuring out some new ways to throw your discs, keep at it! I hope you don't have mono, that's pretty miserable (especially when you have to sit around thinking about disc golf instead of getting to play).

Latest posts