• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am stuck in the 460 range I do want to break 500 on a consistent basis

Note how your shoulder starts going early before you really plant/shift into your front heel.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118948

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 11.06.54 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 11.06.54 PM copy.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 316
Another thought here too: Most pros I see bombing 500+ feet (Eagle, Calvin, GG, Gibson, to name a few) are moving fairly quickly through the x-step. They are at such a level on bracing that the additional forward momentum from moving faster is translated to rotational speed by the brace. You are moving only at a moderate clip through your throw. Form looks very clean, but perhaps try speeding it up and seeing if you can maintain form, timing, and bracing?

Can anyone provide counter-examples? Are there pros throwing that speed with a slower approach? I know it's slow motion, but look at the difference in approach speed from Gibson when he goes from a 450' shot to "max distance".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s_UV7kIE1Pk

Another thought here too: Most pros I see bombing 500+ feet (Eagle, Calvin, GG, Gibson, to name a few) are moving fairly quickly through the x-step. They are at such a level on bracing that the additional forward momentum from moving faster is translated to rotational speed by the brace. You are moving only at a moderate clip through your throw. Form looks very clean, but perhaps try speeding it up and seeing if you can maintain form, timing, and bracing?

Can anyone provide counter-examples? Are there pros throwing that speed with a slower approach? I know it's slow motion, but look at the difference in approach speed from Gibson when he goes from a 450' shot to "max distance".

Tristan Tanner.

I've seen him before, and I'll admit that he throws very far w/o moving quickly. Do you have a video of him throwing 500+ with that walk-up?

Secondly, I suppose I shouldn't have asked for a single example as a counter to my point, but Tanner is a good one.

Do you agree that most pros seem to run up faster for bigger throws, though? Tanner seems like an outlier, but even he moves quickly for 360 throws when going for max distance.

I think Tanner demonstrates that a run up isn't necessary for 500', but I'd argue that most people, with good form, will benefit distance-wise from a faster run-up. I certainly think it's worth OP trying out.

I most often see this faster run-up accompanied by a longer run up (more steps). Off the top of my head, Eagle, McBeth, Gibson, and Barella (I think) all have a different run-ups when throwing big.

I remembered his run up being slower, but Markus Kallstrom's form is/was worth watching. He's an example of someone who puts every bit of forward momentum into his throw. So much so that he often falls/steps backwards at the end of his follow through. It makes me wonder if players whose momentum carries them forward after release are leaving distance on the table by not fully transferring that energy into the throw.

I'm far from an expert, but his form looks rough on the joints.

3rd (classic) video contains a bonus: Linus crushing while wearing skate shoes that look like they're about to fall off mid x-step.

His timing or sequence and rhythm are off. I don't think speeding up the tempo will likely help fix that, although it might net more distance yet less efficient.

Kristian Kuoksa 500' Standstill

Ken Jarvis, he said all he did was focus on being more efficient.

TT says about the same.

Slowing down helped me more than speeding up.

Need to lead the stride with your center.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 9.14.54 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 9.14.54 PM.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 201
I'm not the form expert, but I can offer a thought on the issue of runup.

The only thing you want to do is find the pace that optimizes your form. If you can speed up your approach and maintain the same efficiency, you should gain some distance. OTOH the idea that runup speed = distance is flawed. The runup is just another facet of optimizing form.

Think of it this way--you run at full sprint and try to throw. That's not going to give you your best distance unless you are James Conrad.

Note how Paul is hinged back into the rear hip and rear elbow next to hip with butt/hips/CoG leading the stride. Rear foot slightly turned back.

Note how you are leaning/tipped over to the left and targetward so your head is leading your stride. You look pigeon toed on the left foot which restricts things from turning back further.

Elbow the hips forward.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpp7ZFLHK90#t=9m40s

lyDcVuS.png

I think I am doing better with my butt but can you tell me some other things I may be missing?

https://youtube.com/shorts/JueQw5pZ3vE?feature=share

I think I have good left arm action and I am planting more linear to the target but I just can't seem to break through to the holy grail of 500 feet, do I need to get into the gym like Gibson?

Horizontal mode, side of tee!

You follow in both September and now indicates that you are not completely leading with your CoG and tilted axis is probably suboptimal - notice how your upper body kind of stops still facing the line of play rather than continuing all the way around like these guys:

In both videos, your weight gets trapped behind your plant leg - watch how your plant leg seems to knee snap/vibrate as you enter follow through. Striding a little too far back out to the left of the tee but that's not all - I don't think you have a complete weight shift w/ the right buttwipe or there's a tilt or bend issue.

Your left leg action may have improved since September but it's easier to triage the rest from side of tee.

Also, post in your original thread instead of starting a new one. It's kind to those who take the time to help because they can see what has already been discussed.

Latest posts