• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am THEY

Nah... the key is that those whose opinions lose the votes still respect the process. :thmbup:

I (respectfully) disagree with your assertion that is the "key". The challenge we have is that some of the legacy volunteers feel obligated to "stick around" to "save the Club" from evolving beyond their comfort level. Again, we're talking about automating process that were once manual.

As a result, these folks consume a board position simply to maintain a vote so they can vote against evolutionary ideas (that aren't really that evolutionary anymore). One such instance was the implementation of a cloud-based shared drive for all Club docs vs individuals who have these items saved to a Desktop folder on some machine...

For the record, this is my second stint at the helm. I DO NOT want to do this forever, so I am trying to create systems and infrastructure that will allow me to "retire" from volunteering instead of sticking around for a decade and (eventually) being the one holding the Club back.

Very often, those geezers are the ones with time. The one extremely valuable resource, that is in vastly short supply, in the up and coming leaders. They have jobs and families that require significantly more dedication, than retired and established folks. I realize this is generalization, but I have found it to be often true. I have seen waves of very energetic groups looking to make "wise" sweeping changes to clubs. In two years they are often gone. You may think you have vastly better ideas, but I am sure they think their ideas are just as sound and often....not broken. Just because you do not get your way, it is not a reason quit helping run successful tournaments, leagues and a club. I am often outvoted in club matters. I think my ideas are superior....always.

As stated here, help where you can. The geezers will retire from the club or get tired of doing all the work. Folks that are willing to step up and run a club for a decade are VERY hard to find. Honestly, our club runs 8 or so tournaments, 3 to 4 leagues and a couple special events. Leadership is rarely in short supply, foot soldiers are.

Great question though.

In our area we've noticed the opposite...

They have time to dedicate, but being inefficient with that time is wasteful. The younger generation can get more accomplished more quickly because we communicate more fluidly outside our meetings.

It is not uncommon for us to see a dozen emails flying around on a given day - not every day or every week, but when there is a topic worth discussing, we do. The younger generation is engaged and active, the older guys do not reply to the email conversations as much, so we have to rehash the entire conversation, often many times over, to bring them up to speed.

I am grateful for anyone that wants to dedicate their energy to this sport, but we simply accomplish more if we are aligned in our thinking and actions. Volunteering to dig a hole for me is great, unless you dig in the wrong spot...:\

Speaking of geezers, take a look at the "years played" from the last 7 different peoples' posts.......
Golden Tuna 18.8
biscoe 24.6
me 34.6
rupor 36.6
ohtobediscing 40.3
Steve West 45.6
da crippler 50

Totally forgot to recognize the parks staff of Malta once again for being THEY.
Dug 9 more holes and set sleeves to expand Shenantaha Creek to 18 !!

picture.php

THEY sometimes have interesting timing.

Very early in the year a storm blew over several dozen trees across a local course and surrounding park area. THEY (Park services) cleared away everything from the walking trails, picnic & fishing areas, crossfit course, playground, etc.. essentially everything but the disc golf course, within a couple weeks. Couple months roll by, and still nothing done for the course, so my father and I start carrying clippers and handsaws to clear stuff as we play. After a month-month and a half of snipping, snapping, and sawing away any debris, limbs, or trees that could reasonably be drug away by two people, we have the course playable again.
Fast forward to early July, and another storm blows down several more trees. Seeing the surprisingly heavy traffic along the pathways we cleared before, we decided to do it again. Another couple weeks and we have the old paths cleared and some new ones cut. Following week we go to enjoy a round with no tools, and Park Services (Or whoever the county contracts for this type thing) has pulled the baskets and closed the afflicted holes. :rolleyes:

Still, despite the timing, can't wait to see how the course will play after all the timber too large for us to handle is removed.
And of course big thanks to all of you THEYs out there. :thmbup:

I've always had a negative opinion of Nikko and other pros for not volunteering their time doing course work. I also have not been impressed with Nikko for other reasons I see on line and have spoke out about that.

Then I see this posted on Facebook. Much respect for him doing this. More top pros need to step up and help like this. :clap: :thmbup:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Nikko working.JPG
    Nikko working.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 230
THEY have been hard at work out at Swards Ranch installing experimental tee pads - cement board on plywood. They play well, just have to see how they weather.

Attachments

• 7BB5E57E-601B-41ED-AD46-CF60DB3EE615.jpg
    7BB5E57E-601B-41ED-AD46-CF60DB3EE615.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 66
  • A3392890-3165-452B-95AA-DE2E498D02F1.jpeg
    A3392890-3165-452B-95AA-DE2E498D02F1.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 73F5D0A1-32B8-494D-801C-09A5AFD1214C.jpg
    73F5D0A1-32B8-494D-801C-09A5AFD1214C.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 48
THEY have been hard at work out at Swards Ranch installing experimental tee pads - cement board on plywood. They play well, just have to see how they weather.

Not really experimental. World Champion Terry Calhoun has been using and advocating these as an inexpensive tee alternative. He has them installed at his home course. I believe the women played a major on them recently up here in Michigan.

They are a nice alternative, IMO.

I believe Terry was calling them Pirate Planks.

Not really experimental. World Champion Terry Calhoun has been using and advocating these as an inexpensive tee alternative. He has them installed at his home course. I believe the women played a major on them recently up here in Michigan.

They are a nice alternative, IMO.

I believe Terry was calling them Pirate Planks.

Pretty sure that's where the idea came from and pirate planks rings a bell. One of our main guys in the crew lived and golfed in Michigan for years. I say experimental as the elements at the ranch will put them to the test. I know Michigan gets its share of variable weather but I'd put Swards up there as far as gnarly exposure to the elements goes.

I have hope that the high visibility location it's in will prevent that from happening.

thats great

a few courses around here it would work at

and would be asking for trouble doing that

always amazes me when i visit small towns and they have those "little library" of discs for "free rental"

Latest posts