• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am THEY

Had a THEYish day today.

It took us from 4:30p to 10:45p but we got them all in the ground.

Two feet in the ground, four feet above, concrete down there to help keep things secure. Got all the crappy old ones out too.

Only part of the job left is hauling off two old signs that had completely excessive concrete. In both cases we need more dirt because they were more concrete and dirt down there. So now we have a pair of holes we are currently keeping the signs in to avoid anyone unknowingly stepping into when walking through the park (especially if they do so at night).

I'll post some better pictures when we go around and take nice photos during the day for UDisc and DGCR.

Attachments

• PXL_20220717_024635116.jpg
    PXL_20220717_024635116.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 46
Had a THEYish day today.

It took us from 4:30p to 10:45p but we got them all in the ground.

Two feet in the ground, four feet above, concrete down there to help keep things secure. Got all the crappy old ones out too.

Only part of the job left is hauling off two old signs that had completely excessive concrete. In both cases we need more dirt because they were more concrete and dirt down there. So now we have a pair of holes we are currently keeping the signs in to avoid anyone unknowingly stepping into when walking through the park (especially if they do so at night).

I'll post some better pictures when we go around and take nice photos during the day for UDisc and DGCR.

Great sign! Layout, with distance markers down the fairway, elevation profile, OB notes and "Words of Wisdom". How many holes have your WoW quotes? :popcorn:

Good thing you didn't leave the open holes, I've heard people are on that course until almost 11:00 some nights. :thmbup: :D

Great sign! Layout, with distance markers down the fairway, elevation profile, OB notes and "Words of Wisdom". How many holes have your WoW quotes? :popcorn:

Good thing you didn't leave the open holes, I've heard people are on that course until almost 11:00 some nights. :thmbup: :D
60-70% of the 38 signs have Words of Wisdom. Those were bought by locals at $50 a pop. (the bottom part, business sponsorships, were $100 each and $150 for both signs on a single hole). Entire project was community funded.

On all holes without Words of Wisdom we went with a Did You Know? format. All long tees have Toledo area Did You Knows, and all short tees have disc golf course related Did You Knows. I was really happy to get the names of the first tournament winners on some, and a note on one that Ricky won his first Open Tournament that he accepted cash at at that course.

A few new volunteers were They this afternoon.
0a7ea8a7.jpg

Today I am a sad THEY. We installed the signs 3 weeks ago. This week 5 of the business sponsors were damaged by people bending them back and forth until they snapped.

The most frustrating part is - due to the imperative that we get these secured better IMMEDIATELY I am missing out on the opportunity to celebrate some other THEYS today/this weekend. A brand new course is being installed 25 minutes from me and I can't get out to their fundraiser/grand opening because I'll be focused on working with the team to remove-back/frame-reinstall all 38 tees worth of signs.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_7941.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7941.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 45
  • thumbnail_PXL_20220801_210446770.jpg
    thumbnail_PXL_20220801_210446770.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 43
Today I am a sad THEY. We installed the signs 3 weeks ago. This week 5 of the business sponsors were damaged by people bending them back and forth until they snapped.

The most frustrating part is - due to the imperative that we get these secured better IMMEDIATELY I am missing out on the opportunity to celebrate some other THEYS today/this weekend. A brand new course is being installed 25 minutes from me and I can't get out to their fundraiser/grand opening because I'll be focused on working with the team to remove-back/frame-reinstall all 38 tees worth of signs.
I hate the useless stoopidity of vandalism.

I'd support legislation that would allow for a finger to be cut off of people who do such senseless acts.

The THEYs who did the work out there have every right to be angry and frustrated about this!

A really old version of Appalachian trail design, construction and maintenance recommended coating the back of highly vandalized or stolen signage with a non-drying tar derivative so that anyone grabbing it got a handful of yuck. While I would never condone this on a public disc golf course, I can still giggle a bit imagining the look on someone's face if they grabbed it.

A quick cameo of these signs in this news piece!!

They finally got the big new sign up at Ottawa Park in Toledo, Ohio. :)
90% of the way done - just need to add cork board to the empty space on both sides and a 1x4 piece of trim between the sign and the cork board.

Attachments

• PXL_20221020_230904969.jpg
    PXL_20221020_230904969.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20221020_231817335.jpg
    PXL_20221020_231817335.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20221020_231938938.jpg
    PXL_20221020_231938938.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 25
Due to my upcoming knee surgery, the last tee will likely be installed in the spring of 2023.
I'm also contemplating a move of the hole 2 tee to a safer location.

Latest posts