• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am THEY

They were awesome. Yesterday, two others plus myself spent four hours walking and plotting the Ace Race: two temporary boxes, for every hole. Not as soon we finish up, have paint in the grass, and flags everywhere... the city shows up with that giant mower. The operator was simply awesome. He didn't run over a single flag, and somehow mowed the entire course anyhow. Today, I'm going back with a weedeater, and polesaw. This Ace Race is more work than I expected.

I've added prizes to my Ace Race for the card that brings back the most trash. Every card gets a bag and we'll weigh them afterwards. With 45 signed up, that'll be NINE 5-somes out on the course picking up trash. :thmbup:

45 Ace Race participants became part of the "They" crew this weekend at Central Park in Schenectady, NY.

DisCap club members donated a bunch of schwag for a prize package to the card that brought back the most trash. I ended up driving around the course to hand out extra bags. The winning card picked up 137 lbs. of trash !!!!!

All total, OVER 600 lbs of trash was collected !!!!! SERIOUS GOOD KARMA TO ALL THOSE INVOLVED!!!!! :hfive: :thmbup:

Someone grabbed the bikes, bed frame and other metal trash before I snapped this picture.
79930_g.jpg

45 Ace Race participants became part of the "They" crew this weekend at Central Park in Schenectady, NY.

DisCap club members donated a bunch of schwag for a prize package to the card that brought back the most trash. I ended up driving around the course to hand out extra bags. The winning card picked up 137 lbs. of trash !!!!!

All total, OVER 600 lbs of trash was collected !!!!! SERIOUS GOOD KARMA TO ALL THOSE INVOLVED!!!!! :hfive: :thmbup:

Someone grabbed the bikes, bed frame and other metal trash before I snapped this picture.
79930_g.jpg
Are you informing the local government about stuff like this?

Oh yea........ sent a small story to the Gazette also. Our local club just recieved non-for-profit status so this is gonna be our first public outreach. I'll post up anything that makes the news. :D
Good. Stuff like that really helps.

Hole 10 at Arboretum had two paths going down from the short tee. The one on the right ended up getting overgrown. Spent a few hours one afternoon clearing it out and made it usable again, then clear it away a little more whenever I play the course. Also thinned out a lot of the rough on the Spiker side with a machete.

Hole 6 long tee at Louisville wasn't even usable a few months ago. Only took half an hour to clear it out and make it look like a teepad again, but there's still a huge tree that fell in front of it. Oh well, you can throw from it and I don't own a chainsaw.

I've thought about spending a full day at Boettler park with my machetes, as it desperately needs it, but decided it's not worth it.

I had a few non-DGers stop by during the Ace Race and ask what we were doing and when they saw the amount of trash. They were pretty impressed that we'd taken the initiative to clean up the park.

This course was just installed back in April. There was a bit of a stink made about how much use it would get. We've already had to re-level the tees once and throw more chips around the baskets. I'm headed back there today to make sure the parks dept. kept up their end of the deal and picked up the bags.

Step up and be one of "They"...... all the cool kids are doin' it !!! :cool:

Last edited:
We all are "They".

As disc golfers we should be picking up after ourselves, while we are playing. If you take your trash in...take it out! You could carry it when you started...carry it when you leave.

It drives me crazy when I hear people bitchin' about "...not enough trash cans...". B.S... Pack it in, pack it out.

As not one of the "They"s you are, I have not yet been a part of course maintenance, I'd like to say thank all of "they" who are volunteering their time to maintain the courses I've played.

I know you guys to many things other then picking up trash, but we as players need to be conscientious about our impact on the courses and those who maintain them.

Stacie, you became "They" the minute you finished that post. :hfive:

I can't quite figure out why someone can carry a FULL sixpack into the course but can't manage to carry the much-lighter EMPTIES back out. :wall:

..... and disc golf girls are cool !!! :D

I had the pleasure of meeting these guys, who built the new course at Sierra College in Truckee, CA.

They were hauling rubber mats, sand, 2X4s, etc up and down this mountain in the snow to get this course done.

It's a great course, and I can't wait to play it again.

Attachments

• 1095090363_vZJWK-Ti.jpg
    1095090363_vZJWK-Ti.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 284
Just think he actually checked the little box so he could reply to an old thread advertising his work day :D.

When I am playing a course with a local I am always sure to compliment the things I really like.

What kills me is a friend of mine that complains _constantly_ about maps/tee signs on courses that aren't completely accurate. It's like he seems to think that there is an in-depth geological survery done for every single hole's tee sign. I don't think he quite gets the idea that these signs don't just make themselves. I just want to yell at him to go make a better one if he thinks he could do better. :wall:

Latest posts