• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am THEY

Just wondering if anyone here is one of a handful of volunteers or perhaps the main laborer/caretaker at their course and had this conversation with a random DGer on their course. You know the one it usually goes something like this:
"They need to maintain this course better"
"They need to do something about the tee pads here"
"They need to cut the grass"
or my all time favorites
"They need to clean up the thorns where I lost my disc along fairway such and such"
"They need to build a bridge over that creek"
"They need better signs, short tees"

I am they, but the random DGer is usually right. I guess I'm also the random DGer some times also ... "They need to set up a work day" ...

Some day I'll stop being such a worthless pos. Today is not that day. Tomorrow won't be either.:(

They were busy again yesterday......

1425699_676270012397858_1650275319_n.jpg

Great read. I just became "They" last week! I have not even installed the baskets and someone hit me with everything that needs to be done. I did not do so well with it. The person apologized afterwards and I realized I might have been a little rough on them. The idea that someone would take it upon themselves to do something without being told to do so or paid does not make sense to most people.
Talk is cheap. Grab a trash bag and fill it up. :D

Great read. I just became "They" last week! I have not even installed the baskets and someone hit me with everything that needs to be done. I did not do so well with it. The person apologized afterwards and I realized I might have been a little rough on them. The idea that someone would take it upon themselves to do something without being told to do so or paid does not make sense to most people.
Talk is cheap. Grab a trash bag and fill it up. :D

:hfive:

I'm not part of the they, I'm part of the we. I'm never saying they should do X or they should do Y, I'm saying we should do it.

edit: wait maybe that does make me part of the they.

Last edited:
I've been they a few times here and there, but not regularly. And while I do agree it is annoying to have people talking crap about how a course isn't perfect, there are instances that should be brought up. I've seen plenty of issues with courses that most people would agree made the course dangerous or just plain bad. In those situations, people should be talking about how they need to do something.

I am part of "They", as well.
I try not to let it get to me when I see people who were too busy to help work on the course play past where I'm working on the course. Everyone has their own different level of involvement, and not everyone is as obsessed as I am with making the course as good as it can be.

We had a yahoo at my home course recently who spontaneously decided that (1) he was now part of "They", and (2) he was the head of "They". He then proceeded to remove a lot of trees that didn't quite fit his game from one of the holes--trees that were quite integral to the design of the hole--during broad daylight!

Actually, I'm quite happy that "They" is a rather exclusive group. Help like that we do not need.

Does carrying a pair of pruning clippers and taking out long briers hanging into the fairway count? It's rather cold now and not much is growing, but the briers are always around and its something I can easily do as I play a round, a little bit at a time.

I used to be part of "they" when I had more time and did more with the local club. I've not done much lately as I haven't participated much with the club (nothing against them, they're great guys but I'm bored with the course) but having put in work before I definitely appreciate those that maintain the courses all the more for it.

Unfortunately, the hopefully not too distant future course I'm working on right now, there is no "they" or "we". Just "me". Yes, progress is slow and vines/thorns are kicking my ass.

I always help clean up my course, but there are a few things I can't do.

The club that helped it become as good as it is has the PDF's for the lost hole maps and such. If I had those I would reprint them and take it to the course. Did make a new sign for a couple holes though(but the were lost after a storm).

I was 'Them' a month or so ago, after a massive snow storm I shoveled tees off as I went. Two days later another storm just as bad covered them up again.

However, I did have some signs made up to donate to the course, I designed them so that when the baskets are moved to their summer pins you just have to loosen the arrow up and turn it in the new direction.

Attachments

• PICT1880.jpg
    PICT1880.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 9
  • PICT1879.jpg
    PICT1879.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 10