• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am trying to learn to throw a roller and I have a question.....

If I told you the forked tree with paint on it is a mando left, and there's enough canopy to rule out anything but a poke and hope overhand, does it get better?
;)
i can see , i noticed the mando but i also noticed the ridges on the ground passed that mando and the fact there is an open field behind the basket , so a roller looks just as if not more risky . I would move all the way to the left corner of the tee then throw a teebird around that tree to the right(not the mando tree) .

I was pretty much boxed in on three sides last night with the pin opposite a small grove of trees and shrubs. There was an opening about a foot and a half high on the ground so I rolled it through the hole to get under the basket.

I play on rougher terrain most of the time so long rollers are pretty much out but when I'm boxed in and my only other alternative is to throw away from the basket to get some room I'll try and find a roller alley so I can get closer. It's not a shot I use often but on occasion it has saved me 2-3 strokes when I couldn't blast it through, over or around vegetation.

Sky rollers, cut rollers, 2 finger rollers, short rollers, long rollers, I love them all! Z Avenger SS, ESP Surge and a D Stratus are what I usually roll, depending on the hole.

I thought an update was in order.

Thanks for all of the advise. You guys/gals are terrific!

This part of my game is really coming along great.

I can get about 150 feet on a roller consistently. It comes in handy getting me out of trouble and for some awkward ups with low hanging branches.

Big open fields or ridiculously wooded holes where flight is not possible are the only two scenarios I've ever seen useful for them.

Long, low ceiling shots as well through there may not be many trees in the fairway.

Hole 1 at Cedars Hill's Beaver course in TX to be specific.

Primarily on manicured grass to be predictable, otherwise any other surface could be risky.

I like rollers alot. One scenario I didn't see mentioned is a wall of 15-20 ft high trees and bushes in front of you and clear field after. Use a sky roller when you have to throw nose up over the trees you'll lose alot of distance with a flat shot. Try the sky roller. Up and over and keeps on rollin

When you're looking at a possible roller shot, don't forget that the grass has to be DRY. Water on the grass will load up on the rim of your disc and it'll go ble-e-e-e-eah [plop].

I played with a guy about 2 weeks ago that I met through a friend of mine. This guy has been playing for over 20 years, and he through a roller on almost every hole. 90% of the time he parked it 10ft or less from the basket, on holes from 200ft-350ft. He was useing a beat to hell DX Stingray, and he made it work. I think on the shorter holes, he used a DX Shark.

I asked him about it, and he said he started throwing rollers about 15 years ago. He was amazeing to watch. Of course he must be slowing down, or I am getting better, because we both tied with at 1+ for a final score.

I throw them on the practice field but not on the course because of high grass, roots, rocks, rough ground, etc.

i throw rollers on windy extra-long holes, dirt hills with lotsa trees , high wind grass hills, low ceiling shots, and shots with fences that you cant climb over.

long or wet grass kills a roller.

once you practice rollers , you will be able to predict their paths. wind will affect a roller for the good and bad. i've rolled with 150s and 180s. with drivers and mids, with sharp rims and flatter rims, so dont let anyone tell you that you must get a flatter edge. its a more predictable roll, but you'd be sacrificing distance for it.

as for which way to throw the roller, no idea whats best. there are different ways to roll and if you have a disc that flips over you can throw it in the air for the first hundred feet, it will flip to its edge and hit the ground running. or with any regular disc you can throw it forehand and just release it almost perpendicular with the ground.

IMO, you know if you threw a (distance) roller correctly, when it stops, and then justs falls over onto its top.

I've nailed many rollers, they are a good shot to have in your bag. If you like them or not you should know how to roll a disc. Some times it's the only shot you have.