• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am trying to learn to throw a roller and I have a question.....

Here's another. Tinicum Park, #16. A turnover cut roller so that it squeezes out to the left. Basket is about 350 from the tee, to the left, trees stop at about 275...it would be a perfect Teebird/stable driver shot straight down the fairway with nice fade but it can be hard to get through the end.

You really need to know "when" to throw a roller and when not to. If there is ANY wind it will mess with your roller. Not automatically mess it up, but mess up where and how it will land.
I have been throwing rollers for about 4 months now, and I know their place. I only throw them on three holes at my home course in Dexter, OR.
That having been said, with no wind I can put the roller a lot farther than my drive.. you just have to be patient with it.

And as far as them being very unpredictable on where they land.
Thats BS
It is just like any other shot, if you hit the angle your going for, it will be good for you, and if you shank it,throw to high etc.. then you will have a bad shot

ill only throw a roller if the wind is right. either tail or cross, where the wind is blowing like this on your disc (rhbh roller):

----->\

always want to work the crosswind. loving my champ katana for overstable roller shots that dont flip these days.:)

may be true on grass... but in the woods lil sticks and rocks will turn good rollershots into reallllly bad ones quickly

I have yet to learn to throw one myself. I think I might do better to improve my putting then worry about a shot that I might use once a round and have a high degree of variability with success.

I started to learn a roller today and I have a question.

Since they are very effected by the wind, roots, rocks, and rough terrain.

When is it appropriate to throw one?

I'm learning as well, and I'm sure a lot of these posts above me give the best ideas, but they come in handy when you have no shot-line above you and no shot-line as far as you can step out left or right. Look down, and usually you'll find a hole that you can punch a roller through.

I throw KC Roc and Rhyno rollers. Haven't worked up to driving rollers, but the mid and get-out-of-trouble roller are getting better.

Right Handed, over the top flick rollers, with the mids and putters almost have to be thrown with and angle.... " / "....trust me, they'll turn over.

I practice my rollers (with my mids and putters, < 100ft.) after shooting a hole and walking to the next pin, the t-pad being my target.

Would add that I only do this if the course is unpopulated, no one is on the next t-pad, no hills or other obsticals that would slow the game down if the disc rolled away, and only with disc buds that wouldn't mind at all if I did it (they know I'm not just bullsh**ing, there's a purpose to it)....otherwise, throwing/rolling discs between holes really isn't appropriate.

Last edited:
I throw A LOT of rollers and on quite a few courses I might throw 5+.

My main reason isn't to get open field D since I throw far enough anyway but instead I use the roller to shape lines and on holes with a low ceiling.

I carry a Z Avenger for my distance roller and a beat 2nd run Surge for my "flip" roller which comes in handy on shorter holes.

FWIW I throw RHBH and LHFH so rollers fit my game well on many righty sidearm holes where even a great anhyzer shot can't make the turn consistently.

That "Climo" guy also throws a lot and throws dead straight rollers with his Roc that have NO turn at all.

Rollers are hard to learn and hard to master but if you can get comfortable with them they can save strokes on some courses. Ball golf courses that have disc golf and disc golf courses that used to be ball golf courses are perfect. Milo Mciver state park in Oregon is a prime example, Climo and other pros throw rollers at that course every time the Beaver State Fling comes around.

I threw 54 rollers off the tee out of 72 holes in one tourney because it was the safe shot with the 2 meter rule in effect.

I've just recently started playing around with rollers. I'm using them mostly in spots where there's a real low ceiling, or the only good line for an air shot is an overhand shot (I have a back problem that occasionally decides an oh shot is the perfect time to come back and make it so I can barely walk back to the car), and though I'm not at all consistent yet I've had some great rolls. They're a lot of fun when they actually work the way you intend.

I actually pulled off a couple of backhand sky rollers with my Glow Wizard today. Didnt have enough clearance overhead for a thumber but needed the disc to get verticle to make it through some narrow gaps. SO I backhanded with what is like and extreme anny angle, then the roll was bonus when it landed.

I have one hole in the many I play regularily, where I am learning to throw a roller.
This is #17 at Lakewood DGC.
79f3e929.jpg

I'm a lefty.
This shot is slightly uphill, and needs to go through the gap on the left side of the tree that looks like a "Y", to a basket at 305', which is slightly left of center, 200' behind the bushy looking tree.
I have tried a LHBH anny, and a LHFH flex shot, but they either smash into the trees, or worm burn into the side of the hill.

By accident one day, I grabbed my Monarch instead of my Boss, and threw it forehand. It dived into the hill halfway between the trees and rolled like a mofo, following the contour perfectly all the way up to just short of the basket.

All my backhand and forehand drives for years have never got this close on this hole, so now I just go with the roller, why fight it. :D

On thing a guy told me awhile back and I dont know if anyone has said this in the thread so far, and Im not going to read it all, so the tip is move your thumb to the edge of the disc instead of where it sits usually, it works I promise.....and I dont throw rollers

I can't throw roller but have seen some players use them on tight wooded holes and when they need extra distance on wide open holes.

Once I forehanded a beat up beast out of anger and it rolled past the hole, the parking lot and another field behind it. Wish I knew how that happened or how to do it again.

I just recently picked up on how to throw a roller (RHBH). I use a 150g Champion Valkyrie. Flippy as ever. I set it down like this " \ " and it just stands up and rolls forever.

I can't throw roller but have seen some players use them on tight wooded holes and when they need extra distance on wide open holes.

Once I forehanded a beat up beast out of anger and it rolled past the hole, the parking lot and another field behind it. Wish I knew how that happened or how to do it again.

:clap: I've learned a few shots doing this exact thing. Some times good shots first start out as an accident.

Latest posts