• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] I cycle Rocs but...

I also started cycling rocs this winter and I second the flat wasp for over stable duty. Mine is 170 inz plastic n beefy. It gets consistent, forward penetrating, fade. Takes a stiff head wind to straighten out the flight, but still finishes hyzer. And most importantly, has similar feel to the roc in your grip. I have tried a few discs for the under stable mid, but nothing that feels like a roc turns like my stingray. I tried x comet and cobra, but neither turns with the ease of my beloved stingray. My cobra is a 180, so might have better luck with 165-170........ Both comet and cobra have similar feel to rock. The comet did stay in my bag as it's just too easy to pull a dead straight 200 foot shot. Semi beat 180 kc roc still has a reasonable hyzer Finnish for me and gets tee box work between 250and 300, beat 170 roc is dead straight and hold anny lines but takes a touch more power and doesn't glide like the comet. The beat roc just doesn't get enough turn, glide or distance for me. My stingray stays in the bag, even though I was trying for mold reduction. and , I added another mold with the comet............well worth it cause I am reaching for the comet all day for my approaches .

Not sure what you mean by "finish straight/right" as those would be two different flight patterns. A roc that finishes straight is just one that is used enough to turn, but will still fade back and finish straight. I'm sure your current Rocs can do that. For finishing right, a disc that just holds an anhyzer line, or can turn over and hold that line is great: I use a Mako3 for that slot.

I just recently got my Gator so I don't know enough to say if its a good compliment to the rocs. But so far, whenever I use it for recovery shots to get around an obstacle and have a heavy fade, it does its job. I think the longer distance heavy fade shot might not be the best with a Gator, but a brand new max weight Roc (in my opinion).

I think op means make the turn, then stable out to straight, and touch down flat vs flexing out into an s flight, yet not turn and burn. It's a delicate balancing act between archer, arrow and conditions. Can be done with a over stable thrown on a steep , high, anny line and having time to flex back to flat. Again, I love my stingray for effortless midrange right turning shots for 250-300 footers. I asked the same questions when starting my roc cycle. Roc is versatile for sure, but not sure how long it would take( if ever) to get big sweeping turn.

I think op means make the turn, then stable out to straight, and touch down flat vs flexing out into an s flight, yet not turn and burn. It's a delicate balancing act between archer, arrow and conditions. Can be done with a over stable thrown on a steep , high, anny line and having time to flex back to flat. Again, I love my stingray for effortless midrange right turning shots for 250-300 footers. I asked the same questions when starting my roc cycle. Roc is versatile for sure, but not sure how long it would take( if ever) to get big sweeping turn.

That is exactly what I mean!!! My beat roc always seems to fade back when put it on a nice anny line.

Maybe it isn't beat enough?
2014-04-28%2022.18.20.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the information everyone!!! You have officially made my decision harder.

I love the feel of the Roc so every disc that feels like a Roc I want to try.

I love the sound of the comet especially because I play ultimate and that seems to be a good disc for ultimate players use.

Thanks for the information everyone!!! You have officially made my decision harder.

I love the sound of the comet especially because I play ultimate and that seems to be a good disc for ultimate players use.

If you like lids and you like rocs, you'll love a comet. I would try it in X plastic first, they break in to what you want a lot quicker and have more glide than the premium plastic versions.

I'm a HUGE Roc junkie myself, so I know your dilemma well. Personally, I own 11 of them, mostly DX, all in different weights from 165-180.

That said, the advice about the Comet is sage. If you like Rocs, you'll love the Comet; it'll hold whatever line you put it on. Ditto the Foxbat, but it's too dome-y for me. Give 'em both a try. Also, not sure if anyone else mentioned it here, but a Mako is also another great disc with a similar speed, but with a lot less fade.

I play Ultimate a couple times a week too, and the Comet might be a good choice for that in a pinch if you don't have an Ultimate disc to play with, but it would definitely add another level of difficulty to the game.

Good luck!

I was in the exact same situation a month ago. I has hoped the Champ Roc3 would be overstable enough, but no. And my Stingray was getting way too flippy. I have since added a Champ Gator and Star Mako to my midrange lineup and I am happy. Just what I needed.

On the most windless days I carry nothing but rocs, from my most beatup 170 dx for understable, to a newer USDGC champ for OS. But more often than not, instead I have a flat JL gator in there for OS, a DX stingray for hazard US, and a foxbat for regular US. I use a 170ish dx rancho, 175 pro roc3, and 176 gstar roc3 for the majority of shots every round. The pro was my go-to for forever but I finally have it throwing dead straight consistently and turning over as needed. Now I have the backup for it cycled in too, and the gstar is the main thrower for the moment. I have a small pile of light 170 DX's that get swapped out all the time to get them worn evenly. The most worn ones are about the same as throwing any of my 175-180 dx stingrays, maybe a touch more LSS.

The JL Gators are awesome but I find the Banshee covers some of the Gator duties and doubles as a great chain-high skipper when you want to run it with a low canopy or obstical directly between you and the basket. Between the ability to turn before landing, skipping distance based on speed, and post-bounce direction based on wing angle when first hitting the ground, there always seems to be space for the skip run.

I hit a 70' skip shot birdie last Saturday when there was no other way to touch the chains without risking another 70' putt coming back due to the low canopy. It's basically an upshot with a chance at chains whereas the Gator is limited to just an upshot.

Last edited:
Gator or Zone for OS. Meteor or Stingray for US. Or you could throw a Wolf for those shots heh. *ducks tomatoes* I actually just bought a new Wolf for my oldest tonite b/c she loves throwing mine. Yes I know everyone hates them, but they work fine for those throws

On the most windless days I carry nothing but rocs, from my most beatup 170 dx for understable, to a newer USDGC champ for OS. But more often than not, instead I have a flat JL gator in there for OS, a DX stingray for hazard US, and a foxbat for regular US. I use a 170ish dx rancho, 175 pro roc3, and 176 gstar roc3 for the majority of shots every round. The pro was my go-to for forever but I finally have it throwing dead straight consistently and turning over as needed. Now I have the backup for it cycled in too, and the gstar is the main thrower for the moment. I have a small pile of light 170 DX's that get swapped out all the time to get them worn evenly. The most worn ones are about the same as throwing any of my 175-180 dx stingrays, maybe a touch more LSS.

If one of my rocs beats into stingray like flight I would be happy. Until then, I have to keep my ray in the bag. I bought a beat 170 from local kids that fish them from the ponds. It does have some turn, but not as long or easy as my stingray to turn. My son loves it, so maybe he will beat it into submission.

I say stick with Rocs and just find ones that suit you. :D
This. You might want 1 overstable fast putter/mid/slow fairway driver (a Whippet might actually be able to do a lot of those midrange shots), but for everything else, the Roc has so many varieties under its name that you'll find all kinds of variations to choose from. :)

Champ Gator for the over stable slot. Beat DX Stingray for the under stable slot.

I think you should get a 180 star Rancho Roc.

On the understable side, don't buy anything. Keep throwing your pro-d Buzz and dx Roc, see which one you prefer.

I cycle rocs as well. I keep an X comet in the bag for hyzer flips that turn way right or anhyzers in tailwinds, things like that. It feels similar to a roc in the hand, and basically flies like a really glidey, really beat in roc. For the overstable shots, if a newish roc can't handle it I find I'm better off powering down a firebird for consistency rather than trying to muscle an overstable putter or mid that's still more susceptible to wind than a sharper driver is.

I do basically the same as Mashnut, with one exception: I tend to throw a champ gator instead of powering down a predator if a newish roc isn't quite overstable enough for a certain shot. I'd say the split for those is about 50:50 depending on what I'm trying to do.

Have you ever tried learning those spike shots with your glow FB? In general, for true spikes a flat top helps the disc get up and down true and without a lot of effort. As far as the understable stuff...All Rocs take forever to get there, and once there they are irreplaceable. Personally I hate this. I would go for a 1-2 punch mid setup with your Rocs and then something less stable (more glide is nice as well). The Comet is a classic choice to stick with the beaded feel (I want all my mids to feel similar in the hand, even if they are different molds). I use MVP Vectors (shaped like Rocs) and compliment them with the Tangent (similar to Comet with less glide). With this setup I'm never relying on discs that are more than a step or two away from their initial stability.

Have you ever tried learning those spike shots with your glow FB? In general, for true spikes a flat top helps the disc get up and down true and without a lot of effort. As far as the understable stuff...All Rocs take forever to get there, and once there they are irreplaceable. Personally I hate this. I would go for a 1-2 punch mid setup with your Rocs and then something less stable (more glide is nice as well). The Comet is a classic choice to stick with the beaded feel (I want all my mids to feel similar in the hand, even if they are different molds). I use MVP Vectors (shaped like Rocs) and compliment them with the Tangent (similar to Comet with less glide). With this setup I'm never relying on discs that are more than a step or two away from their initial stability.

This is pretty much my same thought process on my mid set up. I am nervous about having an irreplaceable roc that I then lose.

I have actually tried the hyzer shot with my firebird. I ended up out throwing the basket. My thought process after that one shot( not the greatest sample size) was that I don't know how easily it is to power down my firebird. I do love my firebird.

With what people have been saying the Gator sounds super appealing and might cover even more shots once I am comfrotable with it.

Latest posts