• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I don't know what happened, but this putter rocks!

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I was at the practice field this evening with my practice basket and my 22 putters that I own, and something surprising happened.

I have always been sold on the Magnet, and it seems to work 75% of the time for me. Better than most of the putters I have tried. For some reason, I was going through my putter bag, and I pulled out my XD. I thought "what the heck, lets throw it," so I did.

I was shocked! It hit the chains every time, from every angle, and distance. Out of the 30 or so putts I made with it, it only missed 3 putts. Out of those three, two were spit outs, and one hits the rim. I think I have a new putter. I got this disc about 6 or 7 months ago, and just put it away, never really did anything with it.

I noticed that the rim of the Magnet tends to drag on my finger on release, but the XD does not. It seems to have a cleaner release, and just goes for the center of the chains. I haven't had a chance to use it on the course yet, but so far , this putter rocks!

I hate to say it again, but for you new players new to the game, this is one of the reasons I say that spending time in the practice field is so important.

XD has a more Driverish type grip/flight if that makes sense, it is a midrange disc technically/ Putts under 45' should be near straight on to the pole or one-two inches right (for a right hander). To putt with an xd is to be a hyzer putter to the extreme (U might as well use a driver) (unless its crazy beat up. Not trying to be insulting just stating. With good form anyone would use a straight flyer start to finish. At least the first 40'. Including the aviar, a MAGNET (which I used for a while)or any other stated putter disc. Other discs may work well in the short run but if you want to be a top dawg the aviar, magnet or similiar discs will reign.

I was at the practice field this evening with my practice basket and my 22 putters that I own, and something surprising happened.

I have always been sold on the Magnet, and it seems to work 75% of the time for me. Better than most of the putters I have tried. For some reason, I was going through my putter bag, and I pulled out my XD. I thought "what the heck, lets throw it," so I did.

I was shocked! It hit the chains every time, from every angle, and distance. Out of the 30 or so putts I made with it, it only missed 3 putts. Out of those three, two were spit outs, and one hits the rim. I think I have a new putter. I got this disc about 6 or 7 months ago, and just put it away, never really did anything with it.

I noticed that the rim of the Magnet tends to drag on my finger on release, but the XD does not. It seems to have a cleaner release, and just goes for the center of the chains. I haven't had a chance to use it on the course yet, but so far , this putter rocks!

I hate to say it again, but for you new players new to the game, this is one of the reasons I say that spending time in the practice field is so important.

I used to use a Coyote to putt with, but when you missed with it, it would realy fly past the basket. I have a brand new Magnet coming in the mail, so with some practice I will see which one works better.

XD has a more Driverish type grip/flight if that makes sense, it is a midrange disc technically/ Putts under 45' should be near straight on to the pole or one-two inches right (for a right hander). To putt with an xd is to be a hyzer putter to the extreme (U might as well use a driver) (unless its crazy beat up. Not trying to be insulting just stating. With good form anyone would use a straight flyer start to finish. At least the first 40'. Including the aviar, a MAGNET (which I used for a while)or any other stated putter disc. Other discs may work well in the short run but if you want to be a top dawg the aviar, magnet or similiar discs will reign.
not to be insulting put most of the pros use hyzer putters go to innovas website also being from houston where the courses are windy 80% of the time alot of us putt with mids and sometimes drivers, to be consistent all the time you gotta know how to play the wind, not trying to bust your juavos but putters arent the end all be all for short range shots

Your claim is still not convincing me to spend more time practicing in a field though I did yesterday.

If you watch the Discraft "Putting with Confidence" video, about half of your putting is mental, and I think a lot of that goes back to feeling the putter in your hand as well. So I loved the argument about the putter not seeming to scrape your fingers on release and I think I should start looking for another putter for this reason as my Big Bead Champion Aviar seems to scrape sometimes. I still love the disc but. I am not sure that a disc has a brain either so I am not so much sure that it is a disc that finds the center chains as much as it is your feel of the throw that puts it there.

I used to love my XD when I first got it, but then I began missing putts with it more and more and switched to the soft Banger GT. The XD is a decent putter, but I now like the grip of the soft Banger GT better.

Your claim is still not convincing me to spend more time practicing in a field though I did yesterday.

If you watch the Discraft "Putting with Confidence" video, about half of your putting is mental, and I think a lot of that goes back to feeling the putter in your hand as well. So I loved the argument about the putter not seeming to scrape your fingers on release and I think I should start looking for another putter for this reason as my Big Bead Champion Aviar seems to scrape sometimes. I still love the disc but. I am not sure that a disc has a brain either so I am not so much sure that it is a disc that finds the center chains as much as it is your feel of the throw that puts it there.

I really have a great time at the practice field. Its a nice quite piece of property, and a great way to get away from the wife and kids and be alone. I love to play on the course, but sometimes it can be a little stressful worrying about my shots, and trying to do well. When I am at the field, I put on my XM Radio, and zone out. I don't do drugs, so this is the closest thing that I have. I know putting is half mental, but I can't argue with sinking 30 putts in a row. Even my Magnet has never done that, close but not quite. I think if it was all in our heads, the might only be 5-6 putters on the market.

I am not telling everyone to drop what they are doing and go hit the practice field, but I do know it helps my game, and I was just trying to pass that along. It has really improved my approach game for sure. I don't know why, but I work on my approach game the most. That is just one thing I really enjoy is making shots from 125-30ft. Most of the guys I have played with are amazed at the putts I can make from long distances. I just tell them its from lots of practice.

its all about the grip

Midnightbiker

Good for you man. I think that there are a couple of interesting points in here though.
firstly you can hit 30 putts in a row, your probably not as bad as you think you are!
secondly, I have been through the putting mill and have a stack at home too. I read Blake-T's article about short arm putting technique, he says

***If you are executing this putt correctly, all putters should fly the same inside of 30' and your putts will have little to no fade inside this range.***

I have never seen you putt, but there are certain principles to a good putt, and the above statement holds true inside 30ft whatever your technique.

So considering that you have had such a dramatic change, i think that it is most likely the grip than the putter. I found this big time with my Banger GT's the grip just helps me.

Thirdly, watch out for hte new disc syndrome, your putts get focused on the disc and then after a while you focus on the putt and in my experience its a dip before you get back up again.

So if you like the grip stick with it and youll get there. good luck!

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I think my putting game is pretty decent. When ever I play with someone I have never played with before, or in a tournament, I have been told on several times, that I am one of the best putters they have ever seen.

Yo Biker... how many times now is that that you've switched putters? You should put a little tracking line in your sig:

Aviar -> Magnet -> Coyote -> Magnet -> XD etc...

If omega supersloth could smooth out his response it would be a lot more helpful. Just asking, it is hard to understand exactly what you are trying to say.

Yo Biker... how many times now is that that you've switched putters? You should put a little tracking line in your sig:

Aviar -> Magnet -> Coyote -> Magnet -> XD etc...

Yea I know. I keep going back to the Magnet, so I think that is what I am going to stick with. I guess I am trying to hit my putts 100% everytime. That is my goal.

I have messed around with the Classic Roc and it seems to make a great putter. Seeing as it is just an XD with a bead, it would seem the XD would be great aswell.

not to be insulting put most of the pros use hyzer putters go to innovas website also being from houston where the courses are windy 80% of the time alot of us putt with mids and sometimes drivers, to be consistent all the time you gotta know how to play the wind, not trying to bust your juavos but putters arent the end all be all for short range shots
I saw this dude from Florida drain some long hyzer putts. His name was something weird...Climo, maybe. :D

The XD is a low-profile version of the Aviar, but calling it "driver-like" is kinda stretching it. It was a driver in 1985, but it still has the blunt-nose look of a putter to me. Back in the day when there were a lot fewer discs out there, the XD was a very popular putter with women. It was the same issue that has been mentioned here, the shallow rim. Women with small hands had a hard time getting a good grip and a clean release with an Aviar, but could with an XD.

I used the XD as a putter for a while. What I found was that it has some nice glide, which is great when you are attempting a long putt but stinks when you miss a short putt. All those long comebackers lead me back to the Aviar. That being said, someone with better touch than I probably could be very successful putting with an XD. It wouldn't be my first recommendation (I believe I'm on the record as an advocate of using a Wizard, Challenger or Big Bead Aviar) but it's not a terrible choice.

I think I have too many putters. I have 25 putters. 13 of them are Magnets of different weights and states of wear. I think I like the Magnets the most.

Lol it may be a hyzer putt that pros use but its because they throw it hyzer, not because of the disc their using natural fade. Innova is my favorite website other then pdga's, and the wind can be just as brutal up north where the land density is much different resulting in greater winds, which is why the mountains get such harsher winds, putters in the hand of an experienced players are the end all be all cuz your too stubborn to change your game, learn from the pros don't question, theres a reason no pros use the discs u recommend no matter how windy or where your from. Just read the wind dont make excuses. conform the course to you not vice-versa

I saw this dude from Florida drain some long hyzer putts. His name was something weird...Climo, maybe. :D

The XD is a low-profile version of the Aviar, but calling it "driver-like" is kinda stretching it. It was a driver in 1985, but it still has the blunt-nose look of a putter to me. Back in the day when there were a lot fewer discs out there, the XD was a very popular putter with women. It was the same issue that has been mentioned here, the shallow rim. Women with small hands had a hard time getting a good grip and a clean release with an Aviar, but could with an XD.

I used the XD as a putter for a while. What I found was that it has some nice glide, which is great when you are attempting a long putt but stinks when you miss a short putt. All those long comebackers lead me back to the Aviar. That being said, someone with better touch than I probably could be very successful putting with an XD. It wouldn't be my first recommendation (I believe I'm on the record as an advocate of using a Wizard, Challenger or Big Bead Aviar) but it's not a terrible choice.

Wow its funny that your trying to make me look stupid , but i learned my putting form from Ken, yes the 12 time champion. He is a great guy, and most of all he doesn't hyzer putt!!! He may put angle on his putts but it is because the form he uses to putt is not like throwing a frisbee but rather raising and dropping a weight (dropping weight as he would say). It just so happens that frisbees fade slightly to your natural throwing side even with no spin). Theres a reason the best of the best time after time use Aviars or aviar like putters. And last of all outside of the circle it would be considered a jump-putt. I was just trying to direct the author of this thread in the right direction to become a better player, but hey take this dudes advice. Saves me the hassle from beating you at the next pdga event (tho i've never seen a player use a non putter to putt with in 7 years). haha but seriously gl I want all disc golfers to be the best they can be no matter how I feel towards certain others, its the only way the game will grow, GL brah!!!