• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I don't understand DGCR reviews/ratings

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Specifically,
1)Why are reviews so few and far between with over 95,000 members ?
2) Why is there not a year-end top 50 anymore ?
3) Why are reviewers with one rating, weighted the same as a TR ?
4) Why are perfectly good suggestions ignored without the courtesy of a response ?

• I dare say that there are not 95.000 active members.
  • I dare say, Tim would gladly accept any offers of help.
  • Reviews are not right or wrong. They are simply personal observation, based on the experience of the reviewer. Why would we assume some are more "right" than others. There is a filter, if so inclined to make use of trusted reviewers.
  • Sounds like a personal question to the owner of this site....and rhetorical, as posed here.

Specifically,
1)Why are reviews so few and far between with over 95,000 members ?
IDK, but my theory is that if you have a helpful/unhelpful response button under the review, it deters rookie reviewers when they get a negative response...and say screw this. Of course this keeps the quality up, but prevents future growth. There is a maturation process in writing reviews, why kill it ?

• I dare say that there are not 95.000 active members.
  • I dare say, Tim would gladly accept any offers of help.
  • Reviews are not right or wrong. They are simply personal observation, based on the experience of the reviewer. Why would we assume some are more "right" than others. There is a filter, if so inclined to make use of trusted reviewers.
  • Sounds like a personal question to the owner of this site....and rhetorical, as posed here.
You are right,probably only about 950 active members. What does that tell you ? Tim does not want to be bothered with this site. It's on automatic pilot,in case you haven't noticed.

My theory is that the fewer reviews is residue of more phones, fewer desktops.

Phones don't lend themselves to articulacy and literacy. It's a pain to put a lot of info into a review by phone, and not that great to read them, either. Same thing with these forums. Phones work better for instant, brief comments -- not just on disc golf, but everything.

If true, I'm not sure there's a good solution. Should this site be more like social media? I'd rather have fewer reviews -- but good ones. I think there's a place for this.

Phones don't lend themselves to articulacy and literacy.

If true, I'm not sure there's a good solution. Should this site be more like social media? I'd rather have fewer reviews -- but good ones. I think there's a place for this.
This hasn't happened overnight. The real problem, IMO is that there is a stong resistance to change for the good, if it requires any effort. My opinion is formed thru numerous encounters with TimG.

This hasn't happened overnight. The real problem, IMO is that there is a stong resistance to change for the good, if it requires any effort. My opinion is formed thru numerous encounters with TimG.

Sounds like you have an axe to grind. I can't speak to that.

I will say as stated above though that although there are "95000" members, the number of currently active/new members is probably much smaller. I mean, there are plenty of sites I've joined or apps I've downloaded and only spent a month on. Also figure that there are probably a lot of people out there who are members that only use the site for the map and don't care about the rest of the site, not to mention non members doing the same thing. I'm sure that thumbs down votes may be discouraging to some people but there are plenty others who dgaf about whether others like their reviews or not.

You are right,probably only about 950 active members. What does that tell you ? Tim does not want to be bothered with this site. It's on automatic pilot,in case you haven't noticed.

He has basically admitted exactly this, he has reached out for help, and to quote the man himself "crickets chirping"... There has been huge potential missed in the growth of this sport recently. I do believe there is strong potential for this site to be successful in its own rite. But until somebody is able to step up and make the push, and the amount of work involved would be immense..

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139149

He has basically admitted exactly this, he has reached out for help, and to quote the man himself "crickets chirping"... There has been huge potential missed in the growth of this sport recently. I do believe there is strong potential for this site to be successful in its own rite. But until somebody is able to step up and make the push, and the amount of work involved would be immense..

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139149
I agree.
" It's just a homebrew".
That sums up Tim's attitude to DGCR.

Sounds like you have an axe to grind. I can't speak to that
Ha ha. Why would I have an axe to grind ? I was banned for 8 months, had my course removed from the site, and have had several posts deleted. Given all that, I think I'm being pretty reasonable.

There are quite a few of us who have been here for years and have no interest in writing reviews.

-shrug-

Yep. Tough crowd. Nobody cares what I think and weird things like bathrooms and drinking fountains wouldn't even factor in to my reviews of a course.

This website does course reviews? Huh.

I come for the forums; specifically talks about discs, tournaments, bags, etc. With that respect, there are plenty of none-course reviews this site is useful for.

Site must be migrating that way as udisc has taken the course review crown. Though I find udisc reviews mostly useless, the law of averages likely holds true as courses get a lot of reviews.

As to reviewing on this site, I think it's a tougher crowd, and it has deterred me from offering up reviews. But, I also don't like to review courses, as so many courses are constantly evolving, so reviews need time stamps, and need to be updated, in my mind. Shrugs…

There are quite a few of us who have been here for years and have no interest in writing reviews.

-shrug-

I use the internet often, usually as a non contributing user.

The only thing I have less interest in, than writing reviews, is some public bashing of a guy has been nothing but helpful and nice, in the couple encounters I have had with him.

Take your personal beef to him. Or step up and develop your own site.

In before the ban and landfill.

I'd rather have fewer reviews -- but good ones. I think there's a place for this.

Agree 100%. I am much less likely to write reviews now that DGCR is blocked on my work computer. I've done some reviews on the Android app interface and it's arduous.

I also agree about fewer reviews, as long as they're rich in detail. (For courses with at least a couple reviews, that is.) The additional value added by the 15th review is slim to none, unless it gets deeper into a course characteristic that the previous 14 reviews didn't cover in much detail.

Agree 100%. I am much less likely to write reviews now that DGCR is blocked on my work computer. I've done some reviews on the Android app interface and it's arduous.

I also agree about fewer reviews, as long as they're rich in detail. (For courses with at least a couple reviews, that is.) The additional value added by the 15th review is slim to none, unless it gets deeper into a course characteristic that the previous 14 reviews didn't cover in much detail.

how did it get blockd

Just a corporate firewall policy update. Not a big deal, a lot of forum-type sites got added to the "hey this is probably not work related" list.

But your company is OK with you showing up late because you had to show a couple noobs from WI around the X? Sounds like a great place to work :hfive: