• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I Just Don't Get It

When I started I threw on a soccer field for weeks before even hitting a course. In my first few months 91.52% of my throwing was in the field. All I practiced was throwing flat and straight with my Discraft Putt'r and Buzzz.

This guy gets it. You will gain confidence and accuracy much faster in a wide open field when you can see the entire flight of a disc. The small changes are so hard to see when you are on the course.

I am new as well (less than 6 months) but am improving every day. Practice is the reason. I try to practice either field throwing or putting two or three times a week and play once, twice if I can. I'm lucky enough to have a small park area close to my house and I found a practice basket at a reasonable price. Also lucky enough to have free time to be able to devote to disc golf. However, even if you don't have much time, you should still devote some of it to practice. From personal experience, it's more important for improvement, at least at my stage of development, than actual playing. Just my two cents. Good luck!

It's 15min well worth the time. 5 concepts to keep before throwing.

Agree that this video is very helpful. There is also a video by someone (can't remember who at the moment) about throwing approach shots about 150 ft. or so. It talked about follow-through, weight distribution, and such, and was also very helpful.

Does body size or hand size create an advantage/disadvantage? I'm not the biggest guy and have smaller hands so I don't know if this is causing me any issues... I've look up how to grip it and I am placing it under the knuckle in the hand grove (powergrip/backhand) instead of above closer to the thumb. I tend to see a lot of wobble with the fan grip though... any input would help... thanks all for you input already!

For a new player it seems easier to use a power grip but with the index finger on the other rim of the disc just from me learning and teaching my friends/learning from freinds. It took me a long to to be able to use a normal power grip, this modded power grip I think it's called allows for less power and more accuracy. I'd say stick with a few mids and learn how to use them well as they will most likely cover you max distance and help you be more accurate.

Does body size or hand size create an advantage/disadvantage? I'm not the biggest guy and have smaller hands so I don't know if this is causing me any issues... I've look up how to grip it and I am placing it under the knuckle in the hand grove (powergrip/backhand) instead of above closer to the thumb. I tend to see a lot of wobble with the fan grip though... any input would help... thanks all for you input already!

Short answer: no it doesn't create a disadvantage or significant advantage in itself.

As for grip, maybe just start with what feels right. I'm a believe that getting out there and trying what feels right will give you a baseline. Then you can go look at what other people are saying and it will make more sense. For me, fan grip has always yielded mixed results as well. I now use it only for putting and VERY short upshots.

By the way, check out the technique and form analysis forums (probably you already have). There's an abundance of information to sift through, but it's helpful. There are also a number of links to older information on discgolfreview.com which are also very helpful.

Last edited:
I'm just 3 years into the game and just scratching the surface in learning. The advice to power down is huge, I have to constantly remind myself of that. I spend alot of time in putting practice and throwing in an open field. At my skill level, I can play the whole course with just 3 discs, a Teebird for all driving from tee to fairway, a Buzzz or Glide for mid range, and an Ion for putting. I mostly only use the putter inside the circle.

Like most of us, I have bought way too many discs. It's fun trying different discs but it can be counter productive in learning to throw any one of them well. I spend many hours on youtube watching instruction videos as well as tournaments. Most of all, just enjoy the sport and have fun!:)

Post a video of your form in the Form critique section and ask specific questions.
Wouldn't hurt to post still shots of your grips either and solicit feedback on that also.

I almost think you can learn as much in a day of throwing a couple of putter only rounds as you can in weeks of field practice. A putter round is an eye opening experience. Everyone should do one once a month to keep on top of form.

I almost think you can learn as much in a day of throwing a couple of putter only rounds as you can in weeks of field practice. A putter round is an eye opening experience. Everyone should do one once a month to keep on top of form.

Agree, but I more than "almost" think it. This winter I threw some all-putter rounds, and it was greatly helpful to my overall game. Not only in needed to throw correctly with good form, but it caused me to work on my approach game and longer in-the-circle putting game.

Another thing that helped was for me to play on other courses than the home course. I went to a technical/wooded course that I had not played in a long time, and boy! did I find out where my accuracy was (nowhere in my throws). So I play different courses, requiring different shots, and practice those on the range rather than just practicing the shots I was using on the home course.

Note to OP: keep having fun with it, and it'll get batter with time and play...

I can see that looking at your profile you have a ton of questions and are very enamored with the sport but just remember you have to learn to crawl before you walk and walk before you run. There are no short cuts. It will take time to get a real grasp for this game. Focus on one aspect at a time and work the others in as you meet the goals you have set.

Agreed^

I have been playing for around 7 years now, and I really have never felt confident in all the different aspects of the game until this year. I started just hucking plastic with my friends after school my sophomore year of high school and played that way throughout the rest of high school. College came and I lost a lot of free time so I still wasn't able to focus on my game. This past fall and winter I finally had more free time and I devoted almost all of it to improving my game through practice. I worked on my driving form and finally found a putting style I feel good with.

It may not take you as long as it did for me, but it definitely takes time to learn this sport, especially since a lot of new players haven't thrown a frisbee much growing up. It's very new to your body.

A curve to the left or right is natural. It doesn't have to be perfectly straight. You're fine just the way you are boo, don't let anybody tell you different.

throwing perfectly straight on command is ironically one of the hardest things to do in disc golf.

I've been playing just over a year and can put a putter on any line I want with a clean flight out to about 225. Put a fairway or driver in my hand and the mind says "ok, time for maximum effort" (Deadpool reference) and form goes a bit South. I can get my escape out to about 310 on a pretty decent flight, but actual drivers don't go much further than that, maybe 330-340 if I haul off. I'm usually out driven by my friends, but typically have a better position for my upshot.

I need to put a video in the critique forum aka "I thought I was halfway decent... Oh my God I have so much to fix" board.

Thumb smashed on my Galaxy Note 4

If you can remember one concept, make it this: "SMOOTH IS FAR".

Don't huck as hard as you can. You'll just end up losing control. This sport involves a ridiculous amount of finesse.

All i can say is to echo everyone else here, Do field practice, slow down and don't strong arm the disc, watch as many technique videos as you can, and - this is most important - Have fun!!

The one disc in my bag I always loan to newbies is my DX Wedge- it is a putter, but you can drive with it too. Great for one disc rounds. Feels great in the hand, is very forgiving and easy to throw, and it is not too large.

There is also a video by someone (can't remember who at the moment) about throwing approach shots about 150 ft. or so. It talked about follow-through, weight distribution, and such, and was also very helpful.
This one, maybe?