• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I know this girl...

You might also have her look into getting some type of back brace to keep everything snug and aligned, as well. She can ask her physician or PT person, or she may have a corset still hanging around from her surgery. If so, I highly recommend she use it while playing.

If she does decide to play and you don't go with the Aerobie Ring, get her a set of 150 class or lighter discs....they really fly, even with minimal speed and action.

My wife plays with me all the time. She has some shoulder issues so usually just stops throwing when she gets tired and just walks the rest of the course with me. She is not serious at all and I am semi-serious about DG. We have no problem going to a course together and playing a round. I'm serious and she is having a good time. We're having a good time together. I do give her tips here and there to improve her game. She just enjoys not throwing in the bush as often. She does have a nice drive on her and could be really good if she really wanted to practice a lot more, but she doesn't have the desire or competitive drive, so I don't push it and everyone is happy.

It's a great way to spend a nice sunny afternoon outside together.

Not trying to be a downer or anything, but I'd take frisbee stuff real slow with any sort of back/neck issues. Doesn't matter how hard you're throwing, there are a lot of muscle groups involved with chucking a disc. And the little "all arm" throws can be just as damaging to a sensitive sytem as "full body motion" throws.

Get her out walking on the course first - and take whatever interest she might have in pursuing DG very gently, until she has a grasp on what her limitations are.

I think she's planning on getting a back brace, but couldn't be fitted for one until her incisions healed up. That's finally done, so I'm looking forward to taking her for a walk in the park so she can see what it is I'm talking about.