• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I made a wooden disc today :)

Always nice to see another disc turner, I'm in the process of making a trophy for a tournament this weekend, I'll take pictures and share them when I'm finished.

Not to hijack the thread and self promote too much, (I have minis for sale from WakPak out of Ames Iowa, as well as the link in my sig).

I hope to see some more work from you soon :) please share what you come up with.

( haha, that's cool, the thread in the link shows itrader feedback 7 and 777 posts), now only if i had 777 courses played, I'd better get to work.

Good to meet you Martin. Lathe disc making is pretty fun, for sure. Your minis are pretty sweet, too. I have good-sized pieces of mahogany, soft spalted maple, and walnut ready for disc making. I was also thinking of laminating up some smaller pieces. Lots of possibilities.

wooden discs are the shizz ive thought about this alot lately and wouldnt mind trying to make one

i think a coat of polyurethane would hold it together better

i think a coat of polyurethane would hold it together better

Poly is slightly stronger, but once scratched it can't really be repaired. Oils soak into the wood and can be reapplied easily. After my dinging and scratching it up yesterday, some light sanding and re-oiling made it look new again.

sadjo on here has been giving mini wood discs out for trophies that last couple of years in his tournaments and they have went over very well :)

I just did some good test flights with it. It seems to fly nearly the same as the original beast. The turn is slightly more sluggish, but the fade is the same. I can get both of them the same distance without any problem. It does seem to keep any wobble from the throw throughout the flight, where the original disc will smooth out as it flies, though the flight pattern seems unaffected. I met a good RHBH thrower there, and he hurled it over 300 feet right to the base of the basket on the last hole. Unfortunately I rolled it over a cement sidewalk, roughing up the edge a bit. Even more unfortunately, I hit the pole of a basket right on my tee shot and put a nice ding and hairline crack in the disc (it was an awesome drive, though). I took it home and superglued the crack together, then put the thing back on the lathe and sanded the edge smooth again. I just finished applying another coat of oil, and I can't even see the damage. But yeah, these things are fragile. Definitely not a good material for putters, but as a driver it seems okay.

wow thats crazy dude..i never would have guessed it could reach 300ft:thmbup:

I had no idea this had already been done. Googling it didn't turn up much on my earlier search. So yeah, if you want one go for the website djschnabel gave.... I'll forward along the website as a better option.

this website is for trophies of ULTIMATE discs, slightly bigger, totally different flight. I would just buy one from BOB or be like bob and just make one yourself if you have the dilk off time

Sadly, I managed to shatter the disc yesterday when it hit a tractor mid-flight (some construction was going on in the middle of the field). At least it died how it lived. So lesson learned... don't hit tractors with wooden discs. I already make another one out of walnut for my coworker (a wraith this time), and I'm planning on making another mahogany one for myself since I have a good piece for it ready.