• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] I might regret asking - but ...

KniceZ

Double Eagle Member
I recently lost a 1st Run Lat64 Fury and almost cried. I don't have much of a forehand so right curving fairways are tough. But when I threw that Fury flat it would do a beautiful slow right turn all the way to the ground. I'd used that disc for about two years and can't find a 1st run replacement. So I've ordered an Opto Fury hoping it will replace it but just in case . . . I'm open to recommendations for a slow turning speed 8-10 driver.

If it matters I'm over 55, throwing RHFH more than upshots hurts like H***, and my RHBH pretty much max out at 300-325.

Look at a Recycled Stag in a low weight, it may start more stable, but will beat in to exactly that.

My max distance is about the same, and for that shot I usually put a smidge of anny on a seasoned Star Valkyrie. A fresh DX Valk flies the same for me on a flat throw, but it'll probably get flippy before too long.

dga sail. get a proline easy turn over. I am in my mid 40s and like to hyzer flip stuff and the sail is great for that but when thrown smooth and flat it turns nicely.

Orion LS or JLS in Millennium plastic.
Star Sidewinder might work too.

Then again, if you like the Fury, buy two and start the cycle again!

I recently lost a 1st Run Lat64 Fury and almost cried. I don't have much of a forehand so right curving fairways are tough. But when I threw that Fury flat it would do a beautiful slow right turn all the way to the ground. I'd used that disc for about two years and can't find a 1st run replacement. So I've ordered an Opto Fury hoping it will replace it but just in case . . . I'm open to recommendations for a slow turning speed 8-10 driver.

If it matters I'm over 55, throwing RHFH more than upshots hurts like H***, and my RHBH pretty much max out at 300-325.

I'm not much younger than you, my distances are similar to yours, and I bag a Fury. Not a first run, but I have a Gold Line Fury that is well-seasoned-in, and a backup for it. The Gold Line Fury will start out understable, and become more so with time and use. Your Opto Fury will also season in, though a little more slowly.

I also use my GL Fury for rollers, so if you get one and it starts getting flippy you can make it your roller disc and keep working that Opto Fury into understable sweetness.

A Neutron Relay might not be bad, though also might be a little slower than you're looking for.

And yes. On DGCR you ALWAYS regret asking!

i personally would go to pias or raid your box of used discs and try to find the flippiest most beat baseline plastic disc in there that is around speed 9

or you know you could work on your fh form

I'm open to recommendations for a slow turning speed 8-10 driver.

Speed 10: Inertia.
Speed 9: Falk
Speed 8: Mantis

Subjective numbers compared to the Innova standards.

All have a slow turn and will fly stable when powered down.
All can hold the turn to the ground, at speed or with anhyzer

Last edited:
I have similar max distans as you and the same problem with RHFH hurting. .

I have tried ALOT of "flippy" disc to find the one that works. . and for my RHBH "slow turning to the right and land flat" i use

up to 150-200feet Classic Blend Deputy . . .over that a Lat 64 Gold line MAUL, it has that perfect slow turning right curve without flipping or turning over...just holds the line

i personally would go to pias or raid your box of used discs and try to find the flippiest most beat baseline plastic disc in there that is around speed 9

or you know you could work on your fh form

Most beat under stable discs I've tried need hyzered and they tend to just fly straight or they flip and crash. I struggle to get the release just right to get a slow turn.

Your new Opto Fury will be just fine (I hope). I got one about a year ago, I don't leave home without it.

I can't believe how controllable it is. Like you said, thrown flat it just turns lazily to the right all he way to the ground.

I can believe you almost cried. Go back and look for it!

Your new Opto Fury will be just fine (I hope). I got one about a year ago, I don't leave home without it.

I can't believe how controllable it is. Like you said, thrown flat it just turns lazily to the right all he way to the ground.

I can believe you almost cried. Go back and look for it!

Well actually crying is a bit of an exaggeration, but I certainly was bummed.

It was about 40deg and I waded out into the water and cattails up to my thighs for about 15 min and it was starting to get dark.

Latest posts