• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I think i've lost interest...

I took a break from the game for nearly six years. I had other obligations and only played sporadically. When I got back into it, it was like starting over. Now I'm hooked for good but everyone gets burned out from time to time. Might be a good time to take a month or so off.

this game just isn't fun anymore.

the snow/ice have melted, weather is beautiful, still have plenty of friends to play with, but i find myself losing interest after 6 holes or so, every time.

may be partially due to the fact that i am making zero progress in my game; regressing, in fact.

anyone else have something similar happen?

is this my sign to save a boatload of money and just give up the game?

It is cyclical, and I think that feeling is completely normal. I felt the exact same way 3 months ago. I took almost a 2 month break away from discgolf. I used the time to enjoy previous hobbies and to spend more time with my kids. I'm back playing now and am finally back to having fun. It really is as simple as overexposure. It doesn't matter if it's a great game we love (discgolf), our favorite food (pizza), or a hot girl (o8-<). Even our favorite stuff loses our interest when we spend so much time around it. Don't believe me, go deliver pizzas for a month and tell me if you still love pizza :). I've decided that if anything in my life ever starts feeling like "work" again, that is not actual work, that I'll give myself a break from it untill that feeling passes. I don't know you, but I'm pretty sure that you will be fine if you'll just give yourself a little time.

may be partially due to the fact that i am making zero progress in my game; regressing, in fact.

anyone else have something similar happen?

I can relate to what you're feeling. There just so many leaps you can make before you run out of room to leap. Then the leaps become small steps till you reach your best.

I don't know what level your game's at. If you can control your discs and enjoy what your doing with them, that's about as good as it's going to get.

That's where it is for me. After the injuries I can't do what I used to but I still love to watch a well executed shot. In my case, the shots are just a lot shorter than they used to be.

I hope you find what does it for you.

is this my sign to save a boatload of money and just give up the game?

Boatload? Like the kind that you used to play with in the bathtub? Sounds like you may be substituting the hottest item of the moment for good ol' fashioned practice (no offense).

Get back to what made you enjoy it in the first place - was it just taking a few discs, a six pack, and no cares in the world? One problem that I have sometimes is thinking about things other than disc golf while I am trying to play...

Perhaps don't take it so seriously? Go out there, play a round, and don't try to force the issue - see what happens..

Play a round naked. You will be anything but bored after hole 6 (no pun intended).

I spent a little while not seeing any progress. For me, I had a giant bag of discs and didn't know how to throw any of them. So, i purposed to throw single disc rounds with friends. You learn how to use a disc really fast when you are throwing 54 shots with it a round. I have done that with several of my discs. I am at the point now where I know what the discs I have will do....I stick with the ones I had the best one disc rounds with....

I am not seeing added distance but my scores are lower cause I know how to throw the discs I have.

Just a thought.

If you want to quit playing, then quit.

If you have just grown tired of the fact that you're not making progress, then either quit or stop worrying about it.

My last few rounds have been absolutley horrible but I mostly just enjoy getting out of the house and hanging out with my friends on the course.

Unless you are super competitive and just cant stand to not be the best at something then I dont see what the issue is. Its disc golf... not life or death.

ive been doing that for 4 months and i still like pizza

Congrats mf. I did it for a year and a half as a 2nd job when we were saving up to buy our house. I absolutely hated the smell of pizza for the next couple years. I think I made my point, and it doesn't matter what we say. ra has to figure it out for himself, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Congrats mf. I did it for a year and a half as a 2nd job when we were saving up to buy our house. I absolutely hated the smell of pizza for the next couple years. I think I made my point, and it doesn't matter what we say. ra has to figure it out for himself, I'm sure he'll be fine.

i recommend ra to start delivering pizzas. that way when he's disc golfing, he can always have fun because he can say "oh boy, at least im not at work delivering food"

I look at hot chicks every day and I still like them.

Some of us just suck at things, doesn't mean you can't do it.

We have guys who have played rec for 20 years and are legitimately still rec players...hell I might be one.

IT sounds like you are just frustrated from having lost your groove over the winter when you couldn't play. I think you owe it to yourself, for the friendships at least, to get your groove back and then see if you still have no interest.

Disc golf is like anything in life. If you get to the point where you think you have to arrange your life around it, its going to seem more like a chore than a recreational pursuit. Chores aren't fun, and you've got enough of them in life that you have to do as it is. Recreational pursuits are supposed to be fun, and when they aren't well...they aren't worth doing.

So put the bag in the closet for awhile. Pursue another hobby. Perhaps get back into something you did before disc golf. Give it some time and maybe the spark will come back, or maybe it won't and you'll move on to something else. Either way, no harm no foul. Life is too short to obsess over one thing. The only way you're going to know whether your burnout is a moment of frustration or something more terminal is to take a sabbatical.

I throw with Red Army. He does not suck at it. Last Saturday he was on fire with the putter. I've seen him throw some beautiful drives and upshots. I'm waiting for him to put it all together...

I suck at it so I should know what suck looks like, but I try to have fun in spite of that.