• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I wanna get more from my throws..... Tips for a beginner?

clintp8807

I'm a beginner and just picking up playing this year, but I love the game of disc golf.... I play almost every day. I have watched videos, looked up tips and hints on the web, and I wanna soak up as much help as I can..... I'm very competitive and I wanna get the most out of my new found obsession. A buddy of mine I used to work with is a pro shop owner in a town not to far from me, he suggested I join here and ask for help from players like himself that have played for years. I know the run down of the game and I have already developed a pretty mean forehand that has a bit of a anhyser fade to it....it works well for me. I seem to have more control with my forehand then backhand..... But I feel it is lacking power..... I'm sure that's a can of worms and it will all boil down to personal preference..... But if there is any helpful tips out there for getting more power out of a forehand throw for my drives I would be glad to listen and learn if my fellow golfers/golfets could find time to help me out.... Slam them chains my friends!!!!

First, welcome to the sport and the site.

The best way IMHO to increase the pace at which you improve is to video yourself. From looking up videos you probably have a good idea of what works and what doesn't. Now just bridge the gap between what you think your body is doing, and what it actually is when you throw.

It may help to narrate the video a bit (throw one, comment on how it felt, how the disc flew) so when you watch it later if you can't see the whole flight or can't remember which throw was which it'll help.

If you find yourself liking a particular pro try to mimic his/her style and watch videos of yourself over time to see if you're developing a similar mechanic.

I'd try to match your build to that of a sponsored pro.

If you're tall/lanky check Will Schusterick, Ricky Wysocki, and Jeremy Koling

If you're short or average-athletic build check Paul McBeth, Paul Ulibarri, Nikko Locastro, Gregg Barsby

If you're broader shouldered check out Nate Doss or Avery Jenkins

just a few...there are manny more great formed throwers and some with non-traditional stuff in there as well, just see how it all works for you. HOWEVER

You should always watch the masters Climo and Schultz. :D

I tell you what has really helped my game:

1. Being very familiar with both FH and BH. Of course, most people will be more comfortable with one or the other. Personally, I have been playing more FH on tight, wooded courses. This way, I am facing the route the entire throw... and I am less likely to get tree'd right off of the tee. On more open courses/holes, I tend to throw more BH because I can get the added distance and control.

2. Putting... by practicing putting I have learned that I can go for a birdie on any hole that I can drive within 100 feet of. I can now jump putt almost as accurately as a standing putt... but with the added distance. I consistently get complimented on my jump-putt/upshots. I know that even if I land 20 feet away from the basket that I will make that shot at least 9/10 times.

3. Posture... until recently, I thought that all of form was how you whipped the disc around your body and released it. Now, I know that it has just as much to do with being controlled, upright, and smooth. This something that I had difficulty with before... and would normally end up spinning/falling off of the teepad after release of throw. By standing up straighter... it is easier to realize that it is "all in the hips" *Happy Gilmore*.

Also, when you get around to it, post a video of your form on the form/critique portion of the forum. Lots of people on here can tell you what is wrong/correct with your form.

Don't lean entirely on forehand. Having a workable backhand throw as well will be very helpful since it will open up more lines for you.

As for gaining more forehand distance, don't try to overpower it with pure muscle. Concentrate on being smooth and getting a good snap at the end.

3. Posture... until recently, I thought that all of form was how you whipped the disc around your body and released it. Now, I know that it has just as much to do with being controlled, upright, and smooth.

:thmbup: Thank you, this tip has helped me out a ton.
I tend to hunch, chin up is getting rid of my skyhooks.