• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I want to argue "common knowledge" about discing down

wow triflusal.. you totally missed the entire point of what i just said. why don't you go back and read the very last sentence i wrote and respond to me again.

maybe for you the wraith isn't a good disc to spike with but i can nail them right on the money time after time. maybe for you the wraith isn't a good disc for any line inside 250' but there are times i've pulled it out and used it in an unconventional way and parked it from a short distance. to each his own, if you don't agree with that logic then that's fine; but don't try to ram your beliefs on every other person out there. if you really want to compartmentalize your entire game go ahead, nobody is stopping you.

Let me preface by saying I'm a huge advocate of discing down, its great for technique and accuracy improvement, but it is not the end all be all to being a good golfer.

Discing down is good if you want to learn, but there comes a point where its perfectly ok to stop (namely, once you're happy with your technique). I spent a long time trying to push the slowest dic out on every hole I could, and it was a great way to learn, but after playing with some adv/open players, I've seen the benefits to discing back up. I've watched guys throw bosses on 315' holes and park them every single time with a hyzer route.

My point is just because a hole is 250' doesn't mean you need to stretch to reach it with a putter when you can just park it with a mid or something faster.

I am sorry I can not argue with you. You actually bring logic to the table. Can you say something stupid like "you should throw a Pro Boss on a 160 ft. hole"

I agree with this. Faster discs hide flaws in form better than slower discs, and discing down I think is intended to practice form. Ultimately you wanna throw the shot that gives you the highest percentage of landing where you want. Although it does feel good to park a hole with a mid that the rest of the group is throwing drivers at.

actually it is the opposite. If you thow a putter nose up it will not be affected nearly as bad as say a Vulcan.

Haha, no. I can not think of a time that a boss would be useful for that distance.

Maybe, maybe, maybe for a fh skip shot around a 90 degree corner, but that's still pushing it, since there are wayyy better skip discs (like a firebird or trident.)

i'm just advocating using discs in more ways than the standard way, be creative. if you want to go up and throw the same shots over and over again go ahead. i never said i go up to holes inside 250' and throw my wraith like i normally would throw a disc rhbh and just power it down like crazy to hit a shot. i've never done that. i'm saying there are more ways to throw a disc than with the normal reach back. sometimes i do a half tomahawk/half flick throw with my wraith from short distances to curve it around obstacles and to the pin. i've worked on that in my yard so much that i'm very accurate with it.

who are you to judge and strike me down?

i'm just advocating using discs in more ways than the standard way, be creative. if you want to go up and throw the same shots over and over again go ahead. i never said i go up to holes inside 250' and throw my wraith like i normally would throw a disc rhbh and just power it down like crazy to hit a shot. i've never done that. i'm saying there are more ways to throw a disc than with the normal reach back. sometimes i do a half tomahawk/half flick throw with my wraith from short distances to curve it around obstacles and to the pin. i've worked on that in my yard so much that i'm very accurate with it.

who are you to judge and strike me down?

What they are saying is using a wraith as a meat hook is not as good as using a disc that is Overstable instead of speed overstable. Something like a Trident or Firebird would be a better hook disc.

I have generally gotten the impression that there will be a time to disc back up a little bit, and that time will come wehn I can throw a midrange 300-350. But my midranges are still only reaching out to 200-250, and my fairway drivers to 225-275. There are some speed 9 drivers i can use to hit 250-300, but I don't carry them because it's too soon to disc back up, or so I'm told. And the only reason i carry fairway drivers is to make sure I don't develop nose up issues in the interim. Otherwise, I'd be carrying mids and putters only.

Soooo, let's say I gain no distance over the next 3 months. Should I go ahead and disc back up to get that extra 25 ft of distance?

How far do I have to be able to throw my Valkyrie so I know when I'm allowed to put it back in my bag? I want an exact number of feet too? No approximations.

I'll agree with prerube here. The best thing about using overstable discs for spike hyzers is that they spike better. With just a stable disc, you're going to have a tough time getting it to truly "spike" it'll be more like a steep hyzer, but still sweep left a lot more than a true overstable disc would. Since overstable discs are "trying to get to the ground faster" (believe that's a Feldberg quote) they will usually follow a line much closer to completely up and down on spike hyzers.

They also are better in wind, and just hyzer more reliably.

What they are saying is using a wraith as a meat hook is not as good as using a disc that is Overstable instead of speed overstable. Something like a Trident or Firebird would be a better hook disc.

i know what they are saying rube... i never said the wraith is the best disc to do these things with. where did i say that? did i ever say.. "the wraith is a better hook disc than everything else."

no... i was using it as an example from my personal experience... is everyone familiar with examples?

i said there are times when i've used a wraith in this way and it worked for me. if i go out and use my wraith that way and birdie a hole and you go and throw a fb or banshee the same way and birdie the hole, have you in some way done better than me on that hole because you used 'a more perfect disc' for that hole than anything else?

all i ever advocated in anything i've said in this thread is that everyone needs to find their own path to playing disc golf. i don't have a fb or trident in my bag... am i supposed to run out and buy one because some people think it's a better disc for those situations?

i personally like carrying a small number of discs for each round. if i can make the discs in my bag accomplish these shots, why would i go add more discs to my bag to accomplish the same thing?

i honestly don't understand the thought process of, this way is the only way to approach a hole. look at the HOD threads, how many times has every person commented and said the exact same thing? if they did i'd quit this forum and disc golf because that's boring as hell.

Last edited:
I have generally gotten the impression that there will be a time to disc back up a little bit, and that time will come wehn I can throw a midrange 300-350. But my midranges are still only reaching out to 200-250, and my fairway drivers to 225-275. There are some speed 9 drivers i can use to hit 250-300, but I don't carry them because it's too soon to disc back up, or so I'm told. And the only reason i carry fairway drivers is to make sure I don't develop nose up issues in the interim. Otherwise, I'd be carrying mids and putters only.

Soooo, let's say I gain no distance over the next 3 months. Should I go ahead and disc back up to get that extra 25 ft of distance?

There are too types of discing up. There is throwing a mid 70% when you know you can hit the same shot with a putter with more power.

then there is discing up where you add high speed drivers to your bag after throwing lower speed discs exclusively.

I think most of the people in the thread are talking about the first one.

Discing down for distance works this way.

Stay disced down till you're hitting distances you're ok with. If you're fine only throwing mids 250', then disc back up. You'll just continue to gain distance as you continue to actively work on form. It may be slower at some points, but you should always progress.

With that said, the "staple" distances given for throwing are about 250' with a putter, 300' with a mid, and 350' with a fairway. That's when "they" say you're about ready to move to bigger drivers.

i know what they are saying rube... i never said the wraith is the best disc to do these things with. where did i say that? did i ever say.. "the wraith is a better hook disc than everything else."

no... i was using it as an example from my personal experience... is everyone familiar with examples?

i said there are times when i've used a wraith in this way and it worked for me. if i go out and use my wraith that way and birdie a hole and you go and throw a fb or banshee the same way and birdie the hole, have you in some way done better than me on that hole because you used 'a more perfect disc' for that hole than anything else?

all i ever advocated in anything i've said in this thread is that everyone needs to find their own path to playing disc golf. i don't have a fb or trident in my bag... am i supposed to run out and buy one because some people think it's a better disc for those situations?

i personally like carrying a small number of discs for each round. if i can make the discs in my bag accomplish these shots, why would i go add more discs to my bag to accomplish the same thing?

i honestly don't understand the thought process of, this way is the only way to approach a hole. look at the HOD threads, how many times has every person commented and said the exact same thing? if they did i'd quit this forum and disc golf because that's boring as hell.

If you acknowledge there is a better disc to do the same job, then it is more practical to use the best disc for the job instead of using an understable disc as an overstable meat hook.

It doesn't matter what YOU think you should throw! Next time you about to grab a disc from your bag, just ask yourself this: "What would Feldberg do?" (WWFD!)

On the subject of having a disc go left even in the Climo/Feldberg video they say to use less stable stuff as it will give you much better distance around the corner. The overstable stuff is always trying to do one thing, hit the ground.

Let me preface by saying I'm a huge advocate of discing down, its great for technique and accuracy improvement, but it is not the end all be all to being a good golfer.

Discing down is good if you want to learn, but there comes a point where its perfectly ok to stop (namely, once you're happy with your technique). I spent a long time trying to push the slowest dic out on every hole I could, and it was a great way to learn, but after playing with some adv/open players, I've seen the benefits to discing back up. I've watched guys throw bosses on 315' holes and park them every single time with a hyzer route.

My point is just because a hole is 250' doesn't mean you need to stretch to reach it with a putter when you can just park it with a mid or something faster.

In case you missed this in the discing down adventures thread posted back in November:

There are times to disc up though, like when you have a low ceiling your driver will go farther on a lower line than your putter or mid.

It depends on the shot. I typically use a Roadrunner for low hyzer-flip shots that end either hyzer, straight or anny. Firebird for low skip shots or hard hyzer finish.

wow triflusal.. you totally missed the entire point of what i just said. why don't you go back and read the very last sentence i wrote and respond to me again.

maybe for you the wraith isn't a good disc to spike with but i can nail them right on the money time after time. maybe for you the wraith isn't a good disc for any line inside 250' but there are times i've pulled it out and used it in an unconventional way and parked it from a short distance. to each his own, if you don't agree with that logic then that's fine; but don't try to ram your beliefs on every other person out there. if you really want to compartmentalize your entire game go ahead, nobody is stopping you.

hehe

EDIT: heh

I've actually started to disc back up progressively and have been gaining strokes and consistency. However, by discing down I've improved my game and accuracy with all discs that I throw so that since I've disced up, I have a better understanding on how to use all my discs. Discing down is a learning tool, and knowing when to disc back up isn't based on distance but on yourself and knowing your limitations. I've started discing up, and also stopped mold minimizing. I've thoroughly enjoyed mold minimizing, it's taught me a lot about how discs wear and how to create lines with discs that aren't generally thrown for that type of shot. I've started to fill the slots with discs that may overlap slightly, but are more utilities around my core bag. Additions like Z Nuke, 150 Z Flick, Teebirds/Leopard, and for windy days an ESP Force.

It's just like any drill, there are people that try to argue with the Dan Beto video saying that's not how you actually throw. It's to be use as a drill, just like the hammer pound, discing down, and mold minimizing. Discing down is effectively a way of making yourself push every disc you throw to it's potential, and teaching you about stability and flight characteristics. You cannot learn all of this if you aren't able to throw the discs to their potential, so throwing faster discs than you can handle doesn't teach you anything about the flight characteristics of discs. That is why discing down is a drill, and not so much end-all tournament practice.

side note: I can comfortably say that through discing down and my understanding of discs now, I could put together a bag of discs I've never thrown, or thrown very little, and within a round be able to score quite well with the new bag. Most people cannot say that, they know their discs only and are lost when they lose their favorite disc.

Since I've already mentioned mold minimizing, I'll go into that a little. Think of mold minimizing as brand loyalty. Every shot is covered by the major brands, but sticking to just one brand is limiting yourself. Why drive with an aviar if you are more comfortable driving with a wizard or an ion. A Comet might be better complimented by a Roc than a Hornet, both are more overstable counterparts and can essentially do the same thing (when new). The Roc throws more like a Comet though, whereas a Hornet is more driver like. Changing how you throw discs back and forth can lead to inconsistency and even mess with your head game due to confidence in your shots. By mold minimizing (or in this example, brand loyalty), you are learning how to throw different lines with the same disc. I could hand you a new KC Pro Roc, a Buzzz, and a Fuse. Between these three mid ranges, almost all shots could be made. None are the same brand, and none throw the same. If you don't know how to throw each individually, your consistency will not be the same as if I were to hand you a new KC Pro Roc, a beat DX Roc, and a thrashed to hell DX Roc. The Roc would need to be thrown higher, more like a putter. The buzzz is very driver like and can be thrown at low height, but can stall out and not glide as much as the roc or fuse. The Fuse is almost a mix between the two, it is lower profile and can be throw lower, but also reacts very well to high spin glide shots that older discs like the Roc and Comet do very well with. In essence, you may be able to throw every shot with a gator, a roc, and a mako, but that doesn't mean you would do the best and be the most consistent by using only Innova midranges.

/end long post

(I know this thread has pretty much turned into spam, but I wanted to type it all out anyway)

Well said!

How long did you disc down?

Really not sure because I didn't go to the extremes of discing down that some people do here (I still threw faster discs), it was basically forcing myself to throw my mids and putters on every possible shot I could. Learning what can be done with my wizards, buzzzes, comet, and X Avengers (which is too fast for most people). It really came full circle when I started using my understable discs to shape lines that I really wouldn't have thrown before. Things like an AvengerSS to throw a shot about 320' out that flipped up flat, and then turned to the right at about 250 so that it took the corner late. I could have just thrown an X Buzzz on a hyzerflip and let it slowly turn over and go right, but being able to control the point that the avenger flipped over and then right on a low power shot gives more control and consistency than the same shot with a buzzz that is thrown harder.