• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

i want to play the 10 oldest courses. what are they?

Rutgers in NJ was built in '78, I believe. Aside from Sedgley, it's the oldest course I've ever played.

Also, Adler is no longer anything like the original course, it's down to a 9 from the original 18, I think West is a little closer to what went in back then.

Yeah, that could be re West. I still hope to get up to Adler sometime - it's near where I grew up, and had the first basket I ever laid eyes on.

I'm sort of surprised to hear about Adler being 9 holes - but I guess it has been for a good long while (including in the oldest DGCR review, from 2008). I wonder if the main DGCR page once had it listed as 18, and was very slow to update? I'd have been tempted to wager a small amount that it said 18 when first I joined this site.

Vollrath in Sheboygan, WI was installed in 1980. 18 holes of ace runs...if you can stand the hop-around kids that are always there.

Some older courses I know of:
Ken Caryl and Johnny Roberts courses in Denver, CO by Steady Ed are listed as 1978
Cedars of Lebanon in TN is listed as 1979
Roscoe Ewing in Akron, OH by Steady Ed is listed as 1977 (but many changes have been made since)

Santa Cruz river park disc golf course in tucson, AZ. 1978

Olorin used to have a list of the oldest courses. You could PM him.

NE Lions Park, OK

I was co-designer of NE Lions Park, OK, with Steady Ed in 1977. This was one of the first ten disc pole courses in the country. It was originally a 9-hole course, but it was expanded to 18 holes. The back nine was designed by Jack Wilson to go all the way around the lake. After this course was installed, 13 new pole courses were soon installed in Oklahoma over the next two years, with the second course being Will Rogers in OKC. Oklahoma had 14 courses by ~1980, all installed before Texas had a single pole course!

Clyde Fant in Shreveport is listed as one of the early courses, but it originally was a 27-hole course with concrete culverts as targets. I first played it in 1978 at 2 am, with Jim (the Texas Frisbee Beast) Bachus while returning home from the NAS disc golf event in Huntsville, AL. This course is in a wide median of the Clyde Fant Expressway. Because the median is well lit, it can be played around the clock. The pole holes replaced the culverts in the early 1980s, but after nine holes were stolen (reportedly by someone from the Dallas area, though I don't know if that rumor was ever confirmed) the course was redesigned from a 27-hole to an 18-hole course. I think the original design was by Jeff Myers, who was a left-handed, distance "freak", but it was redesigned by Brian Harrison, who spearheaded many of the early courses in the Shreveport area.

Last edited:
That is an excellent goal . . . once I complete all of the courses in WI, I might take on that adventure. it will surely help me to see where the origins of design have come from. While I have definitely played some of the oldest courses around here (and a few on the road) it would be cool to say I had played the oldest courses in the US!

As it seems a lot of these old courses have gone through significant redesign over the years, an interesting subset of this quest would be to play the oldest courses still in their original design...

Only one original hole remains; Hole 4 from the short tee.

Just played the newest course in OH (Worthington Flats) and the oldest (Roscoe Ewing) on the same day (last Friday en route to the National Senior Games). Proud to have deuced Steady Ed's short #4. :thmbup:

Omaha Park DGC in Rapid City, SD has been in place with baskets since 1979. A while ago the baskets were updated to nice Mach III's. As far as I know, it has not been changed at all apart from the baskets since it was installed.

bayville in va beach 1977 designed by steady eddie

First permanent course in the world is Oak Grove DGC in Pasadena. And it's still a fun course ;)

Huntington Beach in CA, is the second I believe, but could be wrong.

As it seems a lot of these old courses have gone through significant redesign over the years, an interesting subset of this quest would be to play the oldest courses still in their original design...

A perfect reason to play JD. While it still exists, the original layout is still intact.

Oldest course in NC is Horizons Park in Winston-Salem I believe. 1983.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=355&mode=ci

site also says Kentwood in Raleigh went in the ground in the same year. I've always heard that Horizons was first.

EDIT: have you thought of playing the oldest course in each state? that sounds like more fun and a good excuse for a road trip or 50...

The course I know of that comes closest to this is White Birch Park in St. Louis. Of course "original design" cannot account for the massive erosion and dozens of trees that have died in 34 years. :\