• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

$ickening !njury from DG (Please read)

That a bit of an overgenalization CB. Injuries can happen to anyone anytime. Proper warm up, cool down and training all can significantly reduce the chances of injury, but many times part wear out with age. I am not going to say all hip replacements could be prevented by stretching. Many professional athletes take great pains to warm up and still incur injury.

Current pic. That is where he went in and reattached. Drilled hole through radius bone, added a button on end of tendon, then anchored. Should be stronger then new. Still swollen somewhat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
So, one common misconception is that "stretching" will decrease injury. In fact, studies have shown this is not the case. Stretching is also very different from warming up. Active warming up may decrease the incidence of pulling a muscle, but tendon rupture is a VERY different animal.

As far as tendon rupture, I wonder, were you on any medications (specifically a fluoroquinolone abx), taking any supplements/herbs, any prior issues with that arm (stress, broken bones, car accidents, other trauma)? Also if you consider anatomy, the bicep muscle does not limit range of motion of the arm, so in order to rupture it you would have had to been pulling actively against the force of your other arm muscles (assuming extension of the elbow), which is somewhat of an interesting thing to consider.

Testosterone injections weekly due to low test. Have levels checked every 3 months by dr and all is good. Adderal daily. That is it. Disc golf daily pretty hard for last 3 months. No broken bones,car accidents,trauma other than lifting weights at work ie bicep curls

Anecdotally, from what I understand, there have been case reports linking testosterone administration w/ tendon rupture, and some larger studies have shown increased incidence among steroid users (of course association does not imply causation). I'm not aware of adderal having any effect on Tendons.

i.e. medication may have contributed to this, but that side effect may not even be related to T administration.

I'd guess it was a matter of attempting to control the shot and "flick" it using the bicep as a counter to the force of the triceps, deltoid and subscapularis, abruptly.

Da*n son get well soon!

I needed to read this. I too am 35 and immediately start to rip as soon as I get to the course after about 5 minutes of 1/2 azz stretches. I think I'd be a lot less sore after 18 if I had a solid stretching regiment beforehand.

If you warm up properly then you will never have an injury. I spend about ten to fifteen minutes throwing putts and simple approach shots. Not to mention you should never be throwing "hard" anyways. Its simple warm up and no injuries will happen. If you played highschool sports this is common knowledge. It also has nothing to do with age.

WRONG!

I tore up my shoulder playing disc golf and had to learn how to play DG all over again with my off hand. I was warm, I had thrown about 100 putts and maybe 30 putter shots to get loose, not to mention I was 9 holes intomy round. Then out of the blue my shoulder gave out.

If you warm up properly then you will never have an injury. I spend about ten to fifteen minutes throwing putts and simple approach shots. Not to mention you should never be throwing "hard" anyways. Its simple warm up and no injuries will happen. If you played highschool sports this is common knowledge. It also has nothing to do with age.

Wrong..
Will lessen the chance possibly, but doesn't make it so you will not get injured.
and age has a ton to do with injuries and lasting ones at that.

I don't think this could be more wrong.:|

Thanks for the info cyclist. I too have been reading on steroids and injury. I have pondered the idea of the T contributing to this. I agree that the muscles working against one another is more likely the explanation. The way you described that gave me this creepy feeling, because that described my throw that day. I was trying to control the release point and apparently stopped the arm motion suddenly. Thanks again

Testosterone gives your muscles keep their strength/give them more strength, but it does not effect the strength of the tendons itself. Maybe the biceps was strong enough to contract and the tendon gave out. Did the entire tendon go with the muscle back into the shoulder? or did the tendon rip into two?

I got the same injury in 2005. Same surgery. Same scar. Although I tore my bicep off while throwing a steel ball in a Highland Games--I prefer my story over yours.

I don't stretch or do anything special other than full range DB curls now and then during workouts. I went years with never curling (I was of the "curls are for girls" school of thought). Maybe that's where I went wrong. Whatever.

Never really had a problem with it playing DG. Although Doss-style putting is out-- I can feel the motion tug the tendon, probably because some quick motions like that can hyperextend the elbow, putting stress on the tendon. And fork grip gives me tennis elbow. I don't know if that's associated with the injury, but I can feel the tendons tug when I throw hard with a fork grip

I followed that up with a blown pec in 2006 while benching. Can't recommend that.

Last edited:
lifting weights is bad! just stay low weight BMI of 23 or less! gives you better long term health with fewer injuries.

looks like you will be back in the spring....Do the rehab but don't over do it too! no pain med either....if you hurt let it rest....

lifting weights is not bad... It's actually really good for you, just saying... but i agree with the no pain med advice.

I went years with never curling (I was of the "curls are for girls" school of thought).

You do realize the "Curls For Girls" was that you do curls to get the girls cause "chicks dig big arms"....not only girls do curls.

I do realize that. In my circle, using precious training time and energy on vanity lifts is time and energy wasted.

A.k. I'm not sure but I believe it detached at the tuberosity and went with the bicep toward the shoulder.
Iron jack, I was really saving a baby out of a well so now my story is better

Wow, didn't like reading this post as my body just isn't as flexible as it once was. Hope you heal up well!
:popcorn: