• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

http://i.imgur.com/3ZqdVoV.png

I recently got this KC 10x Teebird (says 2000 winners and 2001 tourney) but it HAS A NIPPLE ON IT (on top). I tried googling about the nipple TeeBird and the only link I found was broken.

So whats up with the nipps? i somehow managed to get this with a 20$ bid. I like it more than the 9x I've acquired recently (it seems stiffer and grippier)

10x TBs are my favorite. I almost bid on that one because a few months ago I lost my last 10x TB. When you say nipple, do you mean a physical protrusion?

He probably means on the top of the flight plate. I had an old 10x Teebird that was very flat but had a small protrusion on the top of the flight plate that you could call a nipple. It got pretty flippy and I eventually lost it on hole 14 at Deer Lakes.

It's interesting that no MPO world champ, at least since mid 2000s, has won a world title with a different company than what he originally won the title with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ricky Wysocki did this, One of his worlds titles was with Prodigy then like no reason Prodigy dropped all of its world class players at the time. Basically Prodigy was trying to get all these big name players to use their discs for a bit get their brand out, not a good business model. Then the runs of discs after the second and or with some discs third run got worse. I know as a YouTube guy who used to play with Prodigy early on stopped and sold all his discs from that manufacturer but due to the disc runs but started back up with using that brand only as his brand. I only found him after he was going back to Prodigy because the brand fixed it's disc consistency problem. The Company Gave him discs to try but any he did not like he could send back and then pay for the rest, at dealer cost. He is not sponsored by the company Prodigy but he uses only that brand.

I am nearly 50/50 with Innova and Discraft,from 2004 until 2006 the only top brands were Innova, Discraft, DGA, Lightning was a nearly top brand until 2005 when Champion/Elite Z came onto the scene. Lightning still makes some great putters and putter midrange discs though.

Ricky Wysocki did this, One of his worlds titles was with Prodigy then like no reason Prodigy dropped all of its world class players at the time. Basically Prodigy was trying to get all these big name players to use their discs for a bit get their brand out, not a good business model. Then the runs of discs after the second and or with some discs third run got worse. I know as a YouTube guy who used to play with Prodigy early on stopped and sold all his discs from that manufacturer but due to the disc runs but started back up with using that brand only as his brand. I only found him after he was going back to Prodigy because the brand fixed it's disc consistency problem. The Company Gave him discs to try but any he did not like he could send back and then pay for the rest, at dealer cost. He is not sponsored by the company Prodigy but he uses only that brand.

I am nearly 50/50 with Innova and Discraft,from 2004 until 2006 the only top brands were Innova, Discraft, DGA, Lightning was a nearly top brand until 2005 when Champion/Elite Z came onto the scene. Lightning still makes some great putters and putter midrange discs though.
Wysocki had switched to Lat 64 by the time he won his first title.

Lightning was the #2 disc golf company until the Cyclone and Magnet came out. Those two discs and Tournament Pro plastic pushed Discraft past them. Lightning rebranded from the airplane names to the number names to cater to the Japanese market and didn't react at all to Millennium plastic, KC Pro plastic and Elite Pro plastic. They also stagnated with mold releases and didn't figure out that Innova and Discraft were just increasing the wings on small diameter drivers every year by .1 cm. They had the #1 Driver/Flyer with a 1.6 cm wing competing against the 1.7 cm winged Eagle/TeeBird/XL drivers and the 1.9 Valkyrie/Firebird/Wildcat/Predator drivers. Prostyle plastic came out too late to help. By the time CE and Z plastic came around in '01ish, Lightning was already a good five years behind the curve. It was too bad since I liked Lightning's discs up to then.

He probably means on the top of the flight plate. I had an old 10x Teebird that was very flat but had a small protrusion on the top of the flight plate that you could call a nipple. It got pretty flippy and I eventually lost it on hole 14 at Deer Lakes.

Yes its on top of the plate and it physically protrudes . It does seem to fly different than my 9x TeeBird. For me it goes straight with a slight fade in the left, so I could imagine it getting flippy after some dings. I had some really nice throws with it yesterday. I need to take it out and field test it.

Is there any info about this run of TeeBirds with nipples? Or is it a common occurrence?

Yes its on top of the plate and it physically protrudes . It does seem to fly different than my 9x TeeBird. For me it goes straight with a slight fade in the left, so I could imagine it getting flippy after some dings. I had some really nice throws with it yesterday. I need to take it out and field test it.

Is there any info about this run of TeeBirds with nipples? Or is it a common occurrence?

I've had multiple different discs have nipples in them. My GStar ThunderBird and C-CD3 come to mind though I know I've owned others as well.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've been on the search but can't seem to come to a conclusion on what exactly this dosc is. I just picked it up from the used bin at PIAS. It's definitely innova, and looks to be an Aviar but which one is what I'm wondering. Not that it really matters, but I am curious. There is no visible stamp or remnants of one, it has either no bead or a worn down small bead. The plastic feels like KC pro, but I've never felt the Stiff DX that the classic Aviar came in... The only tooling on the bottom of the disc is "innova champion discs inc. www.innovadiscs.com" and "Patent No. 4.568.297" If anybody has an idea od which Aviar this might be I'd appreciate any input.

Attachments

• 20170821_130121.jpg
    20170821_130121.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20170821_130033.jpg
    20170821_130033.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20170821_130044.jpg
    20170821_130044.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 26
Hi all,

I've been on the search but can't seem to come to a conclusion on what exactly this dosc is. I just picked it up from the used bin at PIAS. It's definitely innova, and looks to be an Aviar but which one is what I'm wondering. Not that it really matters, but I am curious. There is no visible stamp or remnants of one, it has either no bead or a worn down small bead. The plastic feels like KC pro, but I've never felt the Stiff DX that the classic Aviar came in... The only tooling on the bottom of the disc is "innova champion discs inc. www.innovadiscs.com" and "Patent No. 4.568.297" If anybody has an idea od which Aviar this might be I'd appreciate any input.

It would only let me upload 3 pix, here are a couple more

Attachments

• 20170821_130109.jpg
    20170821_130109.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20170821_130103.jpg
    20170821_130103.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 30
Wysocki had switched to Lat 64 by the time he won his first title.

Lightning was the #2 disc golf company until the Cyclone and Magnet came out. Those two discs and Tournament Pro plastic pushed Discraft past them. Lightning rebranded from the airplane names to the number names to cater to the Japanese market and didn't react at all to Millennium plastic, KC Pro plastic and Elite Pro plastic. They also stagnated with mold releases and didn't figure out that Innova and Discraft were just increasing the wings on small diameter drivers every year by .1 cm. They had the #1 Driver/Flyer with a 1.6 cm wing competing against the 1.7 cm winged Eagle/TeeBird/XL drivers and the 1.9 Valkyrie/Firebird/Wildcat/Predator drivers. Prostyle plastic came out too late to help. By the time CE and Z plastic came around in '01ish, Lightning was already a good five years behind the curve. It was too bad since I liked Lightning's discs up to then.

Actually I just saw that Sky Styler's Came out in 1979 and were used during the Frisbee like disc era of Disc Golf. Also the Sky Streak was another disc they made at about this time and was used in the early 1980's till the True modern Disc golf disc came out. it was a disc that later became the inspiration mold for their Ultimate disc but with rings on it. Wham-O was protective of the rings for their discs until the mid 1980 when Ed Hendrick relinquished control of the PDGA to being it's own thing.

Hi all,

I would say it looks like a classic Aviar the no bead model.

Actually I just saw that Sky Styler's Came out in 1979 and were used during the Frisbee like disc era of Disc Golf. Also the Sky Streak was another disc they made at about this time and was used in the early 1980's till the True modern Disc golf disc came out. it was a disc that later became the inspiration mold for their Ultimate disc but with rings on it. Wham-O was protective of the rings for their discs until the mid 1980 when Ed Hendrick relinquished control of the PDGA to being it's own thing.
Actually the main thing that happened was that Wham-O was bought out by Kransco. Kransco made thier money from Power Wheels. When Wham-O was Wham-O, the Frisbee was the cash cow. Under Kransco, the Frisbee was just something else they sold that wasn't Power Wheels.

That happened '83ish. '83ish is also when Innova patented the beveled edge golf disc.

Once Kransco took over Wham-O, the IFA was shut down and the money that had funded the IFA (and the money that Wham-O funneled as sponsorship to the PDGA) went away. With no sponsorship money, Ed was going to shut down the PDGA as well, but a group of players wanted it so he turned it over to them.

Since there was no money coming in from Wham-O anymore, there was no reason to rule advances to discs illegal to protect the Wham-O Frisbee and the Innova discs were allowed.

When Discraft started it was making discs to use for Freestyle, but they were golf legal and people used them for that. The first real golf disc they made was the Phantom/Phantom+.

It doesn't get talked about much at all, but IMO the single most significant thing that happened that made disc golf and the PDGA what they are today was the Kransco buyout of Wham-O. Disc golf was on a totally different path before that.

^ To you above
Something else not really talked about was the first just Disc golf world championships no other sports involved in either 1979 or 1980 everybody had to use the Wham-o Frisbees discs. Also somebody not Ed Hendrick though went as Far as to say you could only use the Disc golf disc they made the Wham-O Midnight Flier a disc in both 40 and 50 mold Not the DGA modified version, but the true Wham-O model but that was dismissed quickly due to complaints that discs like the Fastback is a great disc for disc golf as well. I can see the merits of the Fastback disc as an apporach/putter disc. This came about as when in the 1970's Dan Rodrick used at the American Flying Disc golf Championships (now the USDGC open played at Rock Hill every year since 1999) near Rochester NY a Wiffle flying saucer as his approach putter disc and Ed Hendrick did not like that, he was angry that another brand was used . Now they had the right at the American Disc golf Championships Open as Frisbee did not help by sending discs to the tournament for players to use.

Also Hendrick saw a different person from Dan Rodrick putt with a sideways putt with the disc and was angery about that, they had these little cardboard boxes they used to putt into at the course they made to putt into on the ground and that also made Ed Hendrick try to find a replacement for the Putting holes at the tournament. He had a pole with a line on it about halfway up to tell that you had to Putt above the line, that did not work well so Ed Hendrick set out to make something better then the Pole hole, along came the Pole hole basket latter named the Mach 1.

Wasn't there a PDGO or something like that made in early 1980's in response to the PDGA so they could use other brands of discs out? I think it folded when the PDGA was taken over by people rather then Wham-O and DGA owning the corporation. I bet we would be using that other Disc name instead of the old PDGA for disc golf now with the other one doing more with all around tournaments that have Disc golf tacked on to them. It was in 1982 Ed hendrick made it so you could only use the Wham-O discs as an old disc the Super Puppy was popular as was others like the Discraft Sky Styler.
Also Ed Hedrick had control over the PDGA until 1983 but by 1980 he had resigned from Wham-O to desingne golf courses and make his baskets. He was trying to make them use the Wham-O Frisbee's because he used to work for them and they had the money coming in to make the sport happen.
Name in post above is Dan Roddick not Dan Rodrick.

Ed left Wham-O when he started DGA. So far as I know there was never any overlap where he was running the PDGA and still a V.P. at Wham-O. He had a tight connection to Wham-O and the IFA, and Wham-O was the corporate cash cow that was going to pump the money into disc golf to make the whole thing work. The official disc golf history line is that Ed left Wham-O because he was that sold on disc golf, but Wham-O was a huge part of the picture in the DGA-controlled PDGA. Ed put the screws to Dynamic/Destiny Discs and anybody else that popped up making golf discs because he was protecting Wham-O. He had to to keep the Wham-O money flowing.

Then all of a sudden DGA had the Kitty Hawk series to replace the Midnight Flyer series. The Kitty Hawk series was not molded by Wham-O like the Midnight Flyers had been. All of this stuff happened at about the same time: DGA stops selling re-branded Wham-O Frisbees, Innova patents a new golf disc design that is not rulled illegal by the PDGA, Wham-O sells to Kransco, the IFA is folded, Ed turns the PDGA over to the players...It all happened from '82-'83 except for the official turnover of the PDGA to the players, which from what I understand happened a few years later because Ed agreed to run the PDGA for a few years to allow the players to get organized and have a smooth transition. The key thing that drove all those changes was the Kansco buyout of Wham-O.

As for stuff like why Ed designed a disc golf basket, I don't really know. The line has always been that he wanted a target you could throw at from all sides like a tree, but would hold a disc so you wouldn't be squinting from the tee wondering "Did it hit the target or just below the target?" like you get at an object course.

I've never heard of a PDGO. There was a letter sent to Ed from a players group making demands, and his response letter is out there if you look for it. So there was a group of players that wanted the PDGA to be something different, but they didn't have Wham-O money propping them up and Ed wasn't going to help them get that. They may have run some events, but nothing on the scale Ed was doing with the PDGA. The funny thing about the letter is that the demands the players were making then are more-or-less the PDGA we have now. They wanted it to be a player-run organization and it is.

Ed left Wham-O when he started DGA. So far as I know there was never any overlap where he was running the PDGA and still a V.P. at Wham-O. He had a tight connection to Wham-O and the IFA, and Wham-O was the corporate cash cow that was going to pump the money into disc golf to make the whole thing work. The official disc golf history line is that Ed left Wham-O because he was that sold on disc golf, but Wham-O was a huge part of the picture in the DGA-controlled PDGA. Ed put the screws to Dynamic/Destiny Discs and anybody else that popped up making golf discs because he was protecting Wham-O. He had to to keep the Wham-O money flowing.

Then all of a sudden DGA had the Kitty Hawk series to replace the Midnight Flyer series. The Kitty Hawk series was not molded by Wham-O like the Midnight Flyers had been. All of this stuff happened at about the same time: DGA stops selling re-branded Wham-O Frisbees, Innova patents a new golf disc design that is not rulled illegal by the PDGA, Wham-O sells to Kransco, the IFA is folded, Ed turns the PDGA over to the players...It all happened from '82-'83 except for the official turnover of the PDGA to the players, which from what I understand happened a few years later because Ed agreed to run the PDGA for a few years to allow the players to get organized and have a smooth transition. The key thing that drove all those changes was the Kansco buyout of Wham-O.

As for stuff like why Ed designed a disc golf basket, I don't really know. The line has always been that he wanted a target you could throw at from all sides like a tree, but would hold a disc so you wouldn't be squinting from the tee wondering "Did it hit the target or just below the target?" like you get at an object course.

I've never heard of a PDGO. There was a letter sent to Ed from a players group making demands, and his response letter is out there if you look for it. So there was a group of players that wanted the PDGA to be something different, but they didn't have Wham-O money propping them up and Ed wasn't going to help them get that. They may have run some events, but nothing on the scale Ed was doing with the PDGA. The funny thing about the letter is that the demands the players were making then are more-or-less the PDGA we have now. They wanted it to be a player-run organization and it is.
On Youtube Look up 1983 Huntington Beach open, that was run with the tiny group that split from the PDGA and was its own thing for a bit as other discs were seen in the tournament then just the Wham-O ones. Maybe by this time Wham-O was not forced to be used by somebody.

Last edited:
Also Dave Dunpace is not throwing Innova/Champion discs yet so the company is not yet formed in fact he is promoting the disc on the film footage at the La Mriada Open a bit latter with the prototypes of the two molds one of which gets discarded for a few years before getting remade by Innova in 1990. https://www.youtube.com/user/wwhamer/videos

Last edited:
If you would look it up South Dakota https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=206 this course had one of the earliest disc golf courses in the Plains states, the ones that go up and down in a line. That course is under repair in 2017 to replace the old Baskets Not PDGA size legal to use that had bin their since 1979, odd big baskets with average single set of chain at the top to keep discs from bouncing out. The baskets were big enough to use a Ultimate Disc in and still have a bit of room to move in the basket. It did have chains though they were regular basket sized and looked small due to the big oversize Basket that was BIG compared to Regulation size. I have played said Course, Not a challenging course but one that was to be respected as it was an oldie in terms of Disc Golf.

Latest posts