• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

"Textured" (not zipper top) Innova Gator

Hello DGCR,

I'm looking for more information about a Gator that I bag and I rely on heavily. It's Luster Champion, tabletop flat, and there's a strange "texture" to the plastic that can be seen in the pictures below:

Picture 1
Picture 2

I got it in a local tournament as my "player's pack" in November of 2020. The texture-like look to the plastic doesn't actually feel any different from any of my other luster champion discs, and it never had the "zipper top" feel to it. The texture isn't "vinyl record" shaped either with concentric circles - it just has a herringbone-like repeating pattern throughout.

I'm at a loss. I would love to have some more of these as backups, because I reach for this disc multiple times a round. I've probably bought a dozen flat luster, glow, and metal flake Gators and none are nearly as overstable, predictable, and trustworthy as this disc. I'm trying to figure out how I can find more about this run of Gators so I can pick up a few backups.

What do I call this effect in the plastic? What are my chances that I could find anything else like it?

Other information: there's no patent # on the disc, and it wasn't a "GT" penned run, just "175" for the weight.

Thanks!

Latitude 64 used to make Opto Hex. I'm not sure if they still do or not. I had a Raketen in that line but I believe it was discontinued in 2019.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Raketen Opto Hex small.jpg
    Raketen Opto Hex small.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
That Surge on eBay would fetch $50-70 without ink and nearly new, there is a niche group of "ultra grip" collectors.

Now that I reread the OP's post though, that issue wouldn't have caused the straight line pattern anyways.

Or didn't smooth the mold out, that's probably what I meant. The molds are steel and machined out.

I know. I make them haha.

But if that was the case, this would have to have been one of the very first gators ran, and then they changed it. Otherwise, they would all have looked like this.

My guess is it's a result somehow of how it was stored. looks like it was in a canvas bag, warmed up, and smashed down for awhile. Maybe something to do with how they "flattened" it? It's quite interesting though! I'm very interested to hear if these are more common than a one off.

Question about a find in a used bin. It is a Q Millennium fairway of some type, I believe an EXP. It is blunt like an EXP, but seems to have the L wing, not the X wing like the newer EXP-X. Did they mold some with the L Wing? Not old, no patent numbers or anything, plastic is really pearly though. It is a Millennium Bar Stamp. No picture yet, but I can get one later if there is a need. Thanks.

Yeah, that happened. Somebody ordered EXP-1's and Innova swears the EXP-1 had the Eagle L wing so that's what they made.

The EXP-1 was out a good four years before the Eagle L wing existed, though. They always had the Eagle X wing. Innova didn't make them for so long that they forgot how to make them.

When Millennium finally made some Q EXP-1's, they labeled them EXP-X's so people would know they were not the L wing mutants.

What kind of rocs are these I have forgotten

Was going though some of my old discs can someone tell me what kind of rocs these are I can't remember.

Attachments

• 20191009_042748.jpg
    20191009_042748.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Was going though some of my old discs can someone tell me what kind of rocs these are I can't remember.
I think those are '08 USDGC Rocs, the stamp was called "West Sayeed" and the discs were the San Marino mold I believe (but you can tell that by the tooling.) I think they made them and both Champ and Star plastic.